Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Good stuff! Looking good. Really jealous of that door fit. That’s what I get to deal with, AFTER repining that door hinge. Heads up! I really thought I had done a good job lining up the door. But I was off about 3/64 at the gap in the door hinge. Worked out to be almost a full 1/16 at the top of the door. Damn it!

All that to say...I would get the hinge pinned before going much further. Just my 2 cents, based on Saturday’s adventure!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile

Last edited by VW_Jimbo on Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

When I first fit up the door it wouldn't even close, the lower hinge was too low! Dammit. I spent many hours fitting and adjusting to get it right but I got it finally. That was discouraging to say the least. Keep at it, it will be worth it.

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
When I first fit up the door it wouldn't even close, the lower hinge was too low! Dammit. I spent many hours fitting and adjusting to get it right but I got it finally. That was discouraging to say the least. Keep at it, it will be worth it.

Don

I have tacked the passenger side A pillar in place and am now trying to get the gap better. The upper hinge is still partly seized, so I'm hoping that is part of the reason the door seems to bind a bit.

Going to go out to the shop later and stare at it for a while and take some measurements.

Tom
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After weeks of grinding, cutting, shaping, welding, fitting, grinding, cutting, shaping, welding I am finally satisfied with the fit of this panel and started welding tonight.

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Wow major progress Don!
I am still aligning A pillars, a slow task.

Tom
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow major progress Don!
I am still aligning A pillars, a slow task.

Things can go fast if you go slow enough to get it right the first time!

Aligning the A pillar was a long frustrating task. I hope the other side goes quicker!

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

In spite of how much shaping of the repair panel was required, it really came together in the end. I was hitting it with the hammer right up to the final weld.

The arch over the tortion bar end was way out of whack but a weld and a few blows and another weld and a few more blows etc brought it slowly in line finally.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looks really nice!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

The long weld is a little ripply, that is to say it has some ripples in it not that it is somehow like Ripley, but Hammer and Dolly took care of that! To finish the job now the body has to come off the chassis. Previously on '54 Field Find several friends would come over and help lift the car around. Having a Corona has taken on a new meaning I must say!

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

They cannot all be perfect. But they must be sound. So long as you have strength, I would not worry about it. That spot is not a focal point, to the public. I am certain you will always zoom in on it! Well, at least that is what I would do.

I was scrolling through your pictures and noticed only half of the rear heater channel was welded. Is there something missing?

And here is one of my photos which shows the whole channel in contact with the rear cross member.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I got it right but good catch:

When I cut apart the other side we will see for sure.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:25 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
the body has to come off the chassis. Previously on '54 Field Find several friends would come over and help lift the car around. Having a Corona has taken on a new meaning I must say!
Don

It is a difficult enough task as is ,trying to move the body by yourself without having the current challenges imposed on us. Wish I were closer to be able to help, Hopefully someday I will get to see your project Don.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
sunroof wrote:
the body has to come off the chassis. Previously on '54 Field Find several friends would come over and help lift the car around. Having a Corona has taken on a new meaning I must say!
Don

It is a difficult enough task as is ,trying to move the body by yourself without having the current challenges imposed on us. Wish I were closer to be able to help, Hopefully someday I will get to see your project Don.

Very Happy I know how that feels... its really not that bad, just dont drop the body. It is best to work your way from front to rear repeatedly and wiggle her off. Be ready to have some tires or one thing to place the body on.

EDIT- oh, and you will have to remove the shifter and heater cable knobs as they will not clear the heater channel. It will also be easier if you remove the wheels.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
I was scrolling through your pictures and noticed only half of the rear heater channel was welded. Is there something missing?

I see it now, you're doing a '56 and I'm doing a '54. Sometime in late '55 they changed the shape of that whole part of the body. Numerous small changes were made that meant it all fits together very differently. I'm getting confused between you and VW_Jimbo who is also doing a '54.

Don
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Here some welding pics of a '51. The heater channel rear end / cross member redesinged for '56 (introduced on August 1955)

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6871387&highlight=#6871387
New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It looks like there is a little extension on the rear end of the heater channel to fit into the little trapezoid. I must have missed that when I took it apart. I should be able to add it easily enough. Thanks guys for the heads up on this.

None of the Klassicfab heater channels show this detail:

Looks like Virtanen was all over this already!

Here we see how it all goes together.

Thanks again tomsbuggered and Virtanen, I would have totally missed this.

Now I'm starting to wonder if a lot of my problems are because I'm mixing Klassicfab with Virtanen and Autocraft. On the left side I will try to stick to Virtanen for all my repair panels and see how things fit.

Virtanen! I'm going to need this for the drivers side:

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

That fits acceptably well I think>

Filling this big ugly hole will be my next project

And then finally this hole.

Don
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Note to leave the drainage hole there.

New projects
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Excellent, I will do that.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Regarding that rear heater channel opening. Maybe weld an L shaped piece up against the rear wall of the hole. Then cut the mounting flange of the channel still left on the drivers side. Drill a couple holes through it for plug welds. Then hammer it down on top of that L piece, previously welded into place, and weld it together!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 34

Jump to: