Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

With the panel all clecoed into place:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It all fits very nicely. Some little gaps here and there but Body Hammer will ease everything into place as I start to weld.

Frankenpanel getting its primer coat:

All welded in:

Tomorrow we Grind! Right after I go to the bar with my buddies and play pool and get drunk, maybe watch some rippers. Haha, Not!

Up next: Welding the heater muffler holder back in. I'm dying to see how I'm going to do this because frankly, I have no clue. I hated cutting it out but I couldn't see any other way.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Lookin good Don, theres no catching you now.
56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looking really good so far! When welding the heater baffle back in, make sure it lines up with the upper part. I forgot to check about that and now I have to deal with a big, leaking gap between lower and upper part...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up. I will do that.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Well, that was challenging. I had to figure out how to weld without being able to see what I was doing. The clamp and my hands were in the way but I managed it and did a not bad job. Like I said before, when I cut it apart I looked at it and could not figure out how I was going to weld it back together. That is now done.

Everything fitted back together nicely.

Finally the final part and the passenger side is done:

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looking good Don !

I have pondered over the same refit but it looks like yours went smoothly.

Mine will not go quite as good. based on the fact that my heater channels have a flange top and bottom for the feed pipe from the engine bay.

That and the fact the pipe does not line up; so I am going to have to modify that when I get to it.

I haven't worked on the project for over two weeks, so I have time to ponder my process before I get there.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

You are in for some work! I'm glad I paid for the Klassic Fab, there are some issues with it but nothing serious. Sadly Concept1 in Calgary will not be ordering any more KlassiFab so I will have to PAY for shipping. Ouch.

Once I weld in the seat support the passenger side is done. The plan right now is to reassemble the door next. This will require all new seals and rubber. I'll post something later today.

Don
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Fantastic work Sunroof.

Quick question. Are you using a MIG or TIG welder, and what settings work best for you, especially on that thin interior metal?

Thank you.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

tomsbuggered wrote:
Mine will not go quite as good. based on the fact that my heater channels have a flange top and bottom for the feed pipe from the engine bay.

That and the fact the pipe does not line up; so I am going to have to modify that when I get to it.

The heater mufflers have cut outs on the openings to account for the flange.

The pipe is close. If not heat it red hot and bend it.

You can do it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
Quick question. Are you using a MIG or TIG welder, and what settings work best for you, especially on that thin interior metal?

Lincoln Mig Pak 140. This welder was designed to be sold cheaply in department stores. I got mine from Canadian Tire. Very cheap, less than half what I would have paid for a similar welder from a welders supply. It is now starting to act up, sometimes when I pull the trigger nothing happens. Also it will occasionally stop in the middle of a weld meaning I have to cut the wire off and try again. Sometimes it takes a few pulls of the trigger to get it going. Only when it is hot tho, suggesting there is a faulty relay inside. I will open it up and see what I can see.

The settings you see are the ones I use for all the thin stuff. For this weld tho I bumped it up to "B"

The end of an era. When I welded the seat support on that signaled the end of the passenger side repairs. The plan now is to order panels for the drivers side and reassemble the passenger door.

The future:

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

As in Mario Brothers, “Lets do it again!”

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

As I said, it was never my intention to start work on the drivers side this year, it was supposed to be next winter's project. Since spring seems to have stalled here and all my friends suddenly don't want to hang out anymore I will do the unexpected. Today I put the body back down on the chassis to spin it around in preparation to start on the drivers side.

All ready to get cutting:

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

You are on a roll Don, keep it going.

I am still waiting for the green light to get back at mine. Spring has finally arrived so I may not proceed until the Fall.
I do have some bare metal I need to deal with so will have to wait to see what the future brings.

I may be slightly jealous but I will get over it.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Before I do any serious cutting I decided to document carefully how it all went together originally. I'm going to have to decide whether to match the passenger side or do the drivers side correctly and not worry that the 2 sides are different. I am certainly NOT going to cut the passenger side apart and correct my mistakes that's for darn sure.

Cut-off wheel on the angle grinder goes through this thing like butta.

Bottom plate off. Like 50 lawyers floating in the bay, I call it a good start.

tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don, I see some cutting, grinding and welding in your immediate future. At this rate you are going to be starting your other project sooner than you thought.

I spent yesterday sharpening a pile of drill bits
Somehow it just doesn't compare. Onward McDuff.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Not to give too much away but... A buddy of mine has a 1959 Nash Metropolitan that his father did a careful restoration of 40 years ago. He intended to take it to car shows and win prizes with it; it was very carefully restored. Michael drove the car twice, took it to a couple of car shows and lost interest in it. Since he could never recover the money he spent restoring it he kept it. He died in 2001 and his son still has it. It has been under a car cover in an unheated garage not moving since 1980. I'd like to put it back on the road and drive it for at least a season. I think the British car club I belong to would love the car as it is British in spite of being a Nash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_Metropolitan

I love showing up at British car events in my beetle and Volkswagen events in my TR6, just the kind of guy I am.

Don
nshaddox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Father in law has a pretty nice older Nash restoration. Just drove it for the first time last week after we put a new carpet kit in it. Pretty fun little cars. I support.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Your my kind of guy. Keep em guessing!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2020 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Look at all that unmolested, clean steel! You are soooo lucky! I betcha don’t even burn through the steel, EVER! So, lucky!

This side ought to be a piece of cake. I am guessing 4 hours!

Have fun!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 34

Jump to: