Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Started really cutting into it tonight.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It was starting to look real good:

Then I tried to fit the door and discovered that the hinge was too fat to fit.

This took some fancy Dremel work to correct.

I spent many hours trimming and trimming so carefully till I got to this point:

Looks good, no?

It was now time to try to hang the door. On the other side I waited till I had it welded in place to fit the door. I was smarter this time and tried to fit the door before I welded anything. Lucky I did! Virtanen made the same mistake as on the other side, the hinge mount was 1/2" too high and all my careful trimming was for naught. I started cutting the bottom to lower the hinge mount to the correct height and got it pretty good. Of course I now have to undo all my previous careful trimming. This is how it looks now:

The door opens and closes nicely and lines up acceptably. I will add back the trimmed part to the top and tack it into place checking again and again that the door continues to fit.

Better and better mistakes.

The marked area will all have to go. I will get Wolfparts quarter panel and take what I need and sell the rest.

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Fooled once, twice shy..

Glad you took the time to try fitment before getting too far into the welding. The door fitment is probably one of the most crucial alignments, and it looks like you will get it.

You've made such a lot of progress, which will be rewarded in the end.

I am on hold on body work until sometime after the New Year. Door alignment is first on my list.

Press on Don.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Got back in the garage and started fitting this little bit. The green stuff is pretty good but I'm going to have to do some shaping for the hi/lo beam switch.

It needs to slide over a bit like the other side. Obviously I made a compromise between getting the flutes just right and getting it to fit in the allotted space. Of course this is a part of the car that will never be seen but one likes to get things right.

Up down up down up down....

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

First real test fitting. I had to do a little tap tap tap to add the contour for the hi/lo beam switch.

Like the other side, the flutes are in the wrong spot. I tried to move things into alignment but the position was dictated by the flange on the left and where the part meets up with the chassis. So a little more tap tap tap to make the flutes look a bit better.

Things are not fitting up quite as well as the other side. Not sure what is wrong but I'm sure my trusty hammer will set things straight.

Down on the chassis with everything bolted up snug:

You can see here how things are not quite lining up the way I would like. This is not a problen I faced on the other side.

I don't know how people do this and get everything lined up correctly without putting the body on and off the chassis nearly every day.

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:19 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Looks like the heater channel needs to be adjusted towards the exterior. Can it move?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks like the heater channel needs to be adjusted towards the exterior. Can it move?

It is hard against the back as it is. I will try and perhaps trim slightly to push it back a little more but it won't be much, maybe a couple of mm. It should go back at least 1/2 cm or more to be right but I don't see that happening.

I'll take some picture when I put the body back down on the pan.

Today was about getting this aligned and ready to tack into place. Somehow I missed on the original cut but the welder knows by now what to do about mistakes like this. The Lincoln has had much experience with this sort of thing.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I wasn't satisfied with the tab on the front end of the heater channel so I cut it off and welded on a slightly wider one.

I then tacked the front piece to the heater channel. It all went together pretty nicely.

I tacked the inner part of the firewall to the channel and put in the defroster hose":

Next was to add the tab that the Klassic Fab heater channels are missing:

Added a couple of plug welds to the rear quarter:

Shot some primer on the tab and plug welded it to the body:

I clecoed the inner is as I am not quite ready to commit yet

I suppose this alignment will have to suffice, not exactly dead center but close enough for government work.

The only fly in the ointment is this little bit of misalignment.

I moved the heater channel back about 1/2 cm which brought the bolt holes nicely in line with the chassis but did not help with this. If I moved the firewall panel to the right it would climb up the chassis and leave a gap at the bottom. It is perfect at the top but where it butts against the heater channel it sits a couple of mm proud. I may have to make a small pie cut to get things to meet up properly. The only conclusion I can come to is that the heater channel is a bit too narrow at this point. I am NOT going to try to correct that!

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Its perfect! Don't be too critical. Got to remember that these were mass produced by the cheapest bidder on parts, as all cars are! That alignment looks good enough to weld together. You may need to hammer on the wheel well panel to get it to lay flat, but it will!

Looks good!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So today I decided to move away from the very complicated A pillar while I wait for a quarter panel to come from Wolfparts. The frunk was rusted somehow so I decided to cut out the rust and put in some fresh metal.

Originally I was going to paint it with POR15 and leave it but I need to replace the bit between the steering column and the quarter panel but since it is impossible to weld to rust I followed it back to solid metal. I am happy this part at least is fairly simple.

Cardboard template:

It all came apart very nicely:

New metal:

From below:

The Hole:

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

That is a hard transition to fabricate! It took me 4 hours, and I only got close. My hat is off to you!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Wunderbar!
Looking good over in the 'Peg Don.
Major progress being made.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

OK, that will have to do.

Next up:

I will think carefully about how to approach this. I am running out of metal and we have code red shut down so the sheet metal shop is likely closed. I am also running out of primer. I do not want to have to take a break due to supply chain issues.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Shaping the next piece:

Back and forth to the anvil many hundreds of times until it lays flat nice and relaxed.

I cut away the flange so it will sit correctly against the inner fender.

And then the lip into the tank area:

Now the piece can sit correctly where it will find its home:

Drill a few holes and it's done

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Nice job! Looks great!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2020 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Made it to the metal store and stocked up. So out of purgatory for now.

Piece: The next.

The usual drill, a cardboard template.

Start rough shaping

On another note: I saw a video of someone making an axe out of a piece of railroad track. I got this piece of small guage track from my father who got it from his uncle sometime in the '50s. It is one of the most useful tools I own. So the video gave me an idea to reshape the track a little to make it more useful for metal shaping. One of the things they don't mention in the video is the mess you make in your shop with all the cutting and grinding necessary to get it the right shape.

Also also I got this from Wolf so there is nothing holding me back now.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2020 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Yippee! Going to see some forward progress again!

That segment of R&R rail brings back memories. I was around 9. Dad owned a custom cabinet shop. It had a yard area that back up against Southern Pacific main line to Long Beach. Trains went by on the 20 minute marks.

One day while assembling cabinets, I was becoming distracted by the noise out the back door (big 14 x 16 roll up). Went over and witnessed a crew on a big railroad car. There were about 6 working cars, followed by a set of attached flat cars, maybe 15 or so, full of materials, rail and ties, retainers and spikes.

Anyways, I meandered over to the door, my father followed shortly after, and we watched this train (more like a caravan) roll by. The first car removed railroad ties. It dug them out, removed the spikes and pushed the tie out the side. Next car shoved a new tie in. Next car set the retainers and drove in new spikes. All of this going on at each car continuously! It was impressive to watch!

After the cars went by, a crew in a rail mounted truck followed. The one guy would get out, inspect a segment of the track while walking, during which he would spray paint a bad section of the rail. He carried on down the track. A few minutes later a bigger truck, piled to the hilt with tools and a f’n big welder. This guy jumped out of the truck. Pulled out a cutting torch and burned out one marked section. Another guy walked up and dropped a cut segment of rail down into that same spot. Then the welder guy came over and welded that rail in place. That’s when Dad said it was time to get back to work, shutting the door to protect our eyes!

After they had passed. I asked the old man if I could go get a spike. “Sure, but watch out for trains!” I jumped the fence, as a 9 year old does, effortlessly and meandered over to a spike near that rail segment. Really cool standing there. Surreal in a sense! Picked up the spike and threw it over to the fence where I could then throw it over the fence. Then I tried picking up the rail piece. It was maybe 1 foot long. It was so heavy. I managed to drag it over to the fence. I hopped over the fence. Went in the shop and gathered a pair of cutters and some rope. Went back out, managed to cut through the bottom four or five openings in the chain link fence making a nice hole. Big enough to reach out and drag my prize into the yard through. After getting it through. I threaded the rope through the chain link and pulled it back into alignment. I than wound some rebar wire back and forth to secure the cut links in the fence! What a day!

Thanks for that! Never did anything with the spike. The rail segment, my father used when gluing large flat panels together. It worked great! Wish I still had it. That would be cool!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Divide and conquer!

The method that has worked so well else where on the car will be repeated for this complicated little segment. First up, the flange that welds the frunk pan to the inner fender.

Many hours of shaping and trimming brings me to this point:

Next up:

Clamped everything down real tight and made a couple of tack welds.

Finish welded it and set in place to test the fit.

I really think this is going to work.

Don
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

Don

Hello I am from Quebec City, and working on my 56 covertible righ now,
we are doing the same kind of work currently,

How much did you pay to your door for the quarter panel?
Wolfpart has the best piece on the market, but I am currently making my own patch.

you work looks good:

here is my thread in case you want to check:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=310869&start=260
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Did a little more shaping and finish welded a couple of parts together. All in all a fun afternoon.

This next piece should be pretty straight forward.

I am a little worried about turning the corner but I will cross that bridge yada yada yada.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So here is a silly story: I bought a pair of welding gloves when I first started welding a lot on beetles. They were nice thin leather gloves and had great feel while welding. At some point I was told they were not MIG welding gloves but TIG welding gloves. I don't know if that is true but it seems likely. Anyways, while working metal and welding I kept forgetting to take the gloves off when cutting and shaping. Eventually they got dirty and full of holes. Not good for welding. BUT! they are great for grinding and cutting, they protect my hands and wrists and have great feel due to being thin. Finally they got so full of holes they were no longer useful so yesterday I bought another pair. For $20 they are cheap and so nice to have in the shop. It will be a shame to get them dirty.

A little more progress tonight.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 15 of 34

Jump to: