Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Excellent metal "stretching" work to close those gaps.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So I bolted some bits back onto her just to make her look more like a car while she waits out the summer. The next job will to repair the door cards. This should be just a matter of some spray adhesive and clamps.

Isn't she pretty?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I suppose Dr. Google knows how to clean this.

Don
Second Air Force
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Be extra careful trying to clean those stains. I made an attempt at cleaning the upholstery on our Euro Standard but it has gotten very fragile with age.

Great to see the old girl after your "de-rustification" work!
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don
I tried cleaning the original upholstery in my 56. The biggest hurdle I encountered was the stitching was rotted out with time.
Not being a purist, I opted to upholster mine over the Winter.
I know, original would have been optimal, but I am ok with the new upholstery, and colour.

sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Not much happening here. I glued the door cards back together, installed new clips and mounted them the keep them safe and out of the way

Don
tomsbuggered
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Don

Could you use a spray on upholstery/carpet cleaner and then a mild steam/vacuum to clean the door upholstery.

Maybe a test run on an inconspicuous piece?
It would be awesome to get them cleaned up.

Tom
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Just keeping things going a little here. This car sat outside from 1977 til 2019, 42 Manitoba winters.

The engine was full of water and suffered as a result, although not nearly as bad as I have seen.

The whole inside of the case was covered in magnesium oxide:

I dumped the abrasives out of my blasting cabinet and loaded it with walnut shells. What a great use for what would otherwise be garbage.

Works a treat. It is slow and tedious but does a great job.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Nice!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

A little update for you all. I finished walnut blasting the case so now I will take it to a machine shop and have them flycut the spigots to get them smooth and even so the glue has a chance to stick. Also I will get them to remove the pressure relief valve before they clean the case for a second time. I tried everything I could think of to get the pressure relief valve out but just ended up damaging the screw head so I will leave that to the professionals.

I started taking the crank assembly apart and was pleased to see the journals are nice and smooth, no scoring at all. This means it will just need a polish to get it ready for reassembly. It looks worse than it is.

The rod shells look terrible, I can't imagine what happened to make them look this way. You will notice one of them has the top layer coming apart and squeezing out the sides. I have never seen anything like this before. There is nothing in the engine to suggest a trauma of any kind so it looks like a factory defect. I have seen a main bearing come apart like this but not ever a rod shell.

Slow and steady, I am hoping to have the long block done by October.

Don
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Excellent progress!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So it is now pretty clear what took this car off the road in 1977. The engine over heated and seized spinning rod bearing #1.

It was a country car so when I took the tin off the motor it was full of all the things that blow off a field during harvest. This is likely what caused it to over heat.

Apart from #1 rod throw the rest of the crank looks good. This was a low mileage motor and the internals show it.

Also #4 shows some heat damage. I will take the crank to a machine shop and it should be good to go with just a polish.

As well I have a couple of camshafts to go to Shadbolt in Vancouver. The one with the fibre gear is from my motor and is in really nice shape but I will get it reground. The other one is from a friends motor and has a flat lobe. If it can be reground I will get that done but if not I have a Wolfsburg West performance cam that I will have reground to stock spec and bolt it to the -2 gear.

Good progress, I think this can be a good motor.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Update. I am slowly getting the engine together. I started with the carb which was very dirty and missing parts. Luckily I had saved a parts carb so I was able to complete it. This was after 3 weeks of soaking in varsol which did basically nothing.

I went and bought some Tyme cleaner which did the job of cleaning along with walnut shell blasting.

I can not for the life of me figure out how to get this apart. I really want to use it because it came with the car but unless I can get it apart I will have to find another one.

Commercial content: Evaporust is amazing. I thought for sure the rocker was garbage. It was a ball of rust but a few hours in Evaporust and it came clean and works nicely. I didn't realize these were bushed, probably why they last so long. In my TR6, with unbushed rockers they eat themselves to pieces. The studs too were covered in rust and came beautifully clean with a couple of hours soak.

Don

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

There is a circuit down inside the fuel valve retaining the cover plate rubber washer and stem. Remove the clip and everything should come out, UNLESS it is melted together with old varnish!

Good luck!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Yeah, the circlip came out no problem but I can't budge the cap.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Soak it in some diesel fuel and twist that stem, maybe it will give.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
Soak it in some diesel fuel and twist that stem, maybe it will give.

Spent a week in carb cleaner and wouldn't budge.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Can you safely heat it up a little bit? Maybe that would help break apart whatever is holding it up.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

The fuel tap is the '56 and later type, without the bowl and filter.

The earlier style tap is still available and does not cost an arm and leg. WW carries them under 211209021B for $99 US.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Slowly, a step at a time.

Today I mailed 4 camshafts to a regrinder in Toronto, hopefully he can do something with them. He asked me if they were for 1600 and I said no, 1200 to which he replied "36 horsepower?" This gives me hope.

Plus one more. I figured send 'em all and hope for the best.

I got a windshield cut yesterday which cost me a whole $145 so I was pretty pleased with that. Now I just need a couple of buddies to drop by and help install it.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

For my next trick I would like to make these heads work again.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 34

Jump to: