Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Maiden voyage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3h1SHtQylE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgGZQ0TYg6Q

There are a few problems to deal with. The biggest is that it won't idle at all. I will swap out the carb for a known good one and see if that solves the problem. Also the steering is very stiff. I will back off the adjuster on the steering box and see if that helps. Other than that it goes down the road very nicely, straight and true and the brakes work as well as they can. All the electrical work EXCEPT! the light on the speedo for the semaphores doesn't come on. I will have to talk to Matt about that. Other than these few things it is beautifully solid and looks fantastic.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Don
grailoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

looks great congrats !!
My oldspeed 36hp autotechnik express build: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=670827
My garage build: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199438
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

I am having carb issues. One won't idle and now the second one is pouring gas out the throttle. Darn.

Don
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It's just a carb issue Don. You'll get it sorted soon and be cruising down the hiway.

The car looks great on the road.
In the second video. I thought I heard a tire rub or something like that. It was when you turned left into the gravel driveway.
Give it a listen. Maybe my old ears are fooling me! Rolling Eyes

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

No, you heard it. I have to pull the right rear brake drum, there is something rubbing in there.

Don
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
I thought I heard a tire rub or something like that. It was when you turned left into the gravel driveway.
Give it a listen.

I hear it also; like brake shoes making incomplete contact with the drum or an unevenly machined drum. sunroof- did you notice any mild pulsations in the brake pedal during slowdown?

Excellent work on the '54's revival!
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Well OK the carb issue is fixed but now it turns out the hi/lo bean switch is flakey. When I step on the clutch the headlights go out. This will be important to fix.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Two things: It took 3 tries to get a hi/lo beam switch that works. I'm sure glad I saved that stuff.

Secondly:
The drums are new, the shoes are new, the hardware is new, the wheel cylinder is new so at this point I have to pull the drum and hope the noise is something simple.

On another note; last night it started leaking prodigious amount of oil. I can't see where it is coming from but I think this will be the last of the sorting out. Fingers crossed.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

What a difference a couple of months can make.

February:

June:

Anyways I took the right rear drum off where the sound was coming from und alle ist korrect.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

If you look at the right side of the backing plate you can see the lip is slightly bent. It was rubbing making the noise. two seconds with the pry tool and it is quiet.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

If you look at the right side of the backing plate you can see the lip is slightly bent. It was rubbing making the noise. two seconds with the pry tool and it is quiet.

Don

Exactly what I was going to write. But your next response covered it!

Glad you got it sorted!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

From the 1 step forward three steps backward department.

I am going to have to pull the engine and start over from scratch. It is pouring oil out the 3-4 push rod tubes despite my best efforts to seal them.

Also it is making a noise I have never heard a 36er make in 43 years of building them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3oerHXIdy74

If anyone has a clue what could be making that whirring noise let me know, because I have never heard anything like it before.

Don
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Are you referring to the sound that sounds like a 2-stroke leaf blower running in sync with your engine revs?

You might wait for the engine to be cool, then run it without the fan belt for a minute and see if the sound is still there. At least you could rule out those rotating parts.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

OK so I pulled the engine, which makes twice now. I hope it goes back in as easily as it did last time.

Finding the cause of the vibration was super easy.

Some insulation that somehow got left behind even though I really searched and poked around thinking of this very scenario.

Now to tear it apart and find out why the push rods are leaking so badly or well, so much? That makes more sense. Why they are leaking so much.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

This car certainly is throwing some curve balls, like it don't want to be on the road at all. Perhaps I should have checked its carma before I bought it.

Don
lardawge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
This car certainly is throwing some curve balls, like it don't want to be on the road at all. Perhaps I should have checked its carma before I bought it.

Don

I sometimes feel that way about my car. If it isn’t one thing it’s another. The latest, on a freshly rebuilt motor, it is leaking oil on long drives from behind the crank pulley. It never ends. Then I remind myself how old these cars are. It takes time to get all the gremlins out when you have had a car apart this far. You will get there!
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

Don

Karma, yes. It can be a fickle thing in old vw's.

The car is telling you, "I'm the boss here!"

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

BLZ Bug
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Oh man am I glad I took the engine apart. There was insulator cotton all through it. One side of the oil cooler was blocked as well as the space between cylinders 1 & 2 and #4 spark plug well. What a disaster, but I caught it in time.

Also the oil is coming from #3 exhaust pushrod tube. The seal is pushed out of place and pouring oil.

So, I think I am making progress.

Don
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 30 of 34

Jump to: