Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Field find 1954 Canadian custom
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

So the car is pretty much my daily driver now. The Honda and the Triumph are mostly just sitting around.

I finally decided to try to do something about the clutch cable being too short, which of course is impossible. I pulled the peddle assembly out and the clutch cable which all came out so nicely, just a breeze. Of course the cable was the correct length so I reassembled it all, again it went together so nicely. Surprisingly I was able to set the clutch up correctly with an inch of free play at the top meaning it now works like it should. Except of course for the mandatory learning experience. The peddles were sticking, hard to push and wouldn't return. I took the stops apart several times to try and figure out WTF, even taking the assembly out of the car again. Eventually I walked away from it for a couple of days. Two days later... reassembled it and it worked. Now everything is as it should be. Phew! Learned: the stop for the clutch has to be on top of the stop for the brake.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On to the transmission: When last I reported, I had drained the oil and found shrapnel on the drain plug. Also it was making a bearing noise in neutral. Well, I went to Canadian Tire to get some transmission oil, which, apparently, is becoming obsolete because all they had was 90W140. Now tell me what uses 90W140 please? Anyways it was all they had so I bought a couple of quarts and put them into the trans. Well the first cool day and it did not want to shift, surprise surprise. I had a couple of quarts of Redline MTL which I paid $45 each and was saving for when I fixed the bad bearing. Today I put the MTL in and it shifts so much better right away. When I pull it apart this winter I will just have to clench up and buy another 2 quarts of MTL.

Shrapnel on the drain plug:

BTW I have 3 magnets in it to keep the scrap metal out of the works as much as possible.

Finally the big one. Both door bottoms need to be done. Passenger side is badly rusted and the drivers side lower hinge mount is coming apart. I didn't want to do the door bottoms but I really don't have a choice about it. I have a welder friend who promises me we can do this without any warpage or distortion. I am eager to learn how this is done.

Destroyed, bent hinge with destroyed bent door:

OTOH I am just loving driving this thing. Totally worth it.

Don
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Since your pic of the door hinge didn't quite make the post.
I thought I'd help ya a little. Very Happy

Glad to read that you are enjoying the car this summer/fall.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
So the car is pretty much my daily driver now.

Those are the encouraging words that I want to utter one day. I appreciate you sharing your journey Don and glad you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
Since your pic of the door hinge didn't quite make the post.
I thought I'd help ya a little. Very Happy

Yup, strange about that, it took several tries to get it to work.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

More from the ongoing saga of The Car That Didn't Want to Be: Yesterday I drove to my cousin's place to show him the car. He is a car guy too and has restored a 1952 Fargo truck and a 1973 MGB so I knew he would want to see the bug. He lives South of Winnipeg so I put 142 miles on the old girl yesterday there and back. She was flawless but I think she got a little spooked when we got back to Winnipeg. Instead of driving through the city in rush hour traffic I decided to take the perimeter highway. Well, driving in bumper to bumper traffic at 120 Km/H with about a third of the vehicles being semis must have scared the crap out of the old girl. Today I went to put her in the garage and she wouldn't start. Darn. I pushed her into the garage and after an hour of troubleshooting I discovered that the fuel pump push rod was seized in its bore. In 43 years of working on 36 Hp I have never seen that before. I pulled the pump and put some valve lapping compound on the rod and ran it back and forth until it moved smoothly. Tomorrow I'll put it back together. With this car, I am seeing every single thing that can possibly go wrong. It's a hell of an education!

Don

Last edited by sunroof on Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
With this car, I am seeing every single thing that can possibly go wrong. It's a hell of an education!

Don

I get this! I have felt this same thing regarding these cars. I guess they are just showing there age!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that education, Sensei...each of these processes you share goes into the "I remember that from TheSamba" notebook for future reference when we're experiencing our own blzbug moments.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:

From the Two Steps Forward, One Step Back department:

I started assembling the drivers door and realized that I had the wrong latch assembly, it was for the passenger door. Of course replacing the latch assembly requires disassembling the whole door.

Dismounted passenger door from the car, door handles off, door card off, window regulator out, divider bar support removed, divider bar dismounted, rear lower window guide dismounted, glass out, latch assembly out, correct latch assembly installed, rear lower window guide installed, window installed, divider bar installed, divider bar support installed, window regulator installed, door card mounted, door handles mounted, door mounted back to car. Phew!

Don

Hi Don,

Currently reading and re reading your magnificent epic (getting a free education - thanks)

Why did you have take the door off the car? I guess I am missing something obvious.

Regards,

Mark
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

It is much easier to work on the door with it off the car. At this point, mounting and dismounting the door was super easy because everything was new.

I'm glad my experience can be helpful to others.

There are some things upcoming for the car: The drivers side door bottom needs to be replaced and there is something wrong with the fueling. It idles so rich you can smell the raw gas in the exhaust and it won't idle properly. Also it backfires through the carb when I am driving along in 4th gear. If anyone has anything to suggest I am open to ideas. I bought a fuel pressure gauge kit so that is the first thing I will check.

Of course we all know from working on British cars that 90% of carb troubles are ignition so I made sure of that already.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Sounds like the jetting is wonky!

Too fat on idle and too lean on the main.why not try changing jets for the next smaller on the idle jet and go fatter, up one size, on the main.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Big Bull Shooter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
It is much easier to work on the door with it off the car. At this point, mounting and dismounting the door was super easy because everything was new.

I'm glad my experience can be helpful to others.

There are some things upcoming for the car: The drivers side door bottom needs to be replaced and there is something wrong with the fueling. It idles so rich you can smell the raw gas in the exhaust and it won't idle properly. Also it backfires through the carb when I am driving along in 4th gear. If anyone has anything to suggest I am open to ideas. I bought a fuel pressure gauge kit so that is the first thing I will check.

Of course we all know from working on British cars that 90% of carb troubles are ignition so I made sure of that already.

Don

I was having trouble with my 1500 running very rich, and my Samba Guru, ashman40, suggested that I try non resistor plugs:
Here's my suggestions which are in addition to the above ones which could all result in rich mixtures....
Dump the resistor spark plugs and go with non-resistor plugs. If you can find them... Bosch W8AC or NGK B6HS. Resistors in the spark plugs became common with high output ignition coils (45Kv+) which caused more noise and required more suppression (resistors) in the ignition system. The original VW specifications did not use resistor spark plugs because the coils only output around 15Kv. While the difference is small, the addition of resistors does negatively impact the power of the spark that jumps the gap at the plug electrodes.

I also had my valve adjustment a bit off, but since switching to the non-resistor plugs, my beetle has been running great ever since. The plugs were hard to find at a good price, but I ended up finding some online in Edmonton at a great price! Good luck, I've been enjoying watching your progress!
Smokey says.... only you can prevent Bug fires!
zerotofifty
May 16, 2023
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

From the "HA! I got it!" department:

So as I described previously, the car has not run right since I put it on the road. Well last week I decided to really get to the bottom of this. As mentioned I bought a fuel pressure gauge kit to test the fuel pump. Of course it is designed for injection where pressures are much higher so the gauge goes to 100 PSI. I went on Fbay and bought a cheap gauge that goes to 30 PSI thinking this should do the job. It did!

Ouch, under 1 PSI. The manual says 1.30 to 1.85 PSI for correct operation. When I rebuilt the fuel pump I just did the diaphragm and the check valves. I did not change the spring because the new one was 1/4" longer than the old one and, being an aftermarket kit, I didn't trust it, so I put the old spring back. Ha! big mistake. I installed the new spring and got 2.5 PSI out of the pump. This is too high but adjusting it was going to require dismounting the pump, removing the spring, trying to shorten it and repeating the process until it was right. I am way too lazy for that. So I left it. I took it for a drive and WOW what a difference. It warmed up more quickly, idled much more smoothly, the flat spot was mostly gone, for the first time a real pleasure to drive. It still wasn't quite right though. In looking at it, I noticed the accelerator pump was not making a full stroke so I took that apart. Easy on a 28PCI. I blew out the passages and ran a tiny wire through the jet, which is very tiny indeed. I reassembled the pump and went for a drive. Problem solved. Lots of low end torque, more power, smoother running. It now goes the way it is supposed to. So happy with it now. In 43 years of building 36 Hp I have never had to deal with low pump pressure before so big learning experience.

On another note:

Waaa, look what I did...

Now the whole door needs to come apart to fix this. Luckily....

When I was in Hessische-Oldendorf in 2013 I bought a set of NOS vent window latches for cheap. Of course they are the later ones.

But no problem. I took the latch apart and swapped the handle.

Now I just need to completely disassemble the door and get the glass out to replace it. Which I will do as I am replacing the door bottom this winter.

Don
Riff Raff
Shivering Sambian

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Congrats on getting the fueling issues sorted.
Such a relief when one finally figures out WTF was the problem.

Always nice to have stash of NOS or good used parts for the inevitable care and feeding of the monster once it is back in circulation too.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Now is the winter of my disassembly.

Everything will come apart again, again.

With the clutch engaged in neutral the transmission makes a loud bearing noise and of course we all remember this:

Magnetic drain plug covered with scrap metal.

Yesterday I pulled the engine to get at the transmission but of course the engine will have to come apart as well.

All summer, as I was trying to get the engine to run properly, I had the fuel pump off a couple of times. First to solve a stuck push rod problem and then to replace a short spring. Both times I noticed the bottom of the fuel pump was filled with oil and it was leaking a lot out the vent hole. Never seen that before. Also it was dumping a lot of oil out the engine vent tube. Putting 2 and 2 together I conclude that crank case pressures are too high. Now I find out it is pushing oil out the front main seal as well. What could be causing high crank case pressure in a freshly rebuilt motor? I will pull it apart and see what can I see.

Back to the transmission. As I was driving the car, listening to the LOUD bearing noise I was really hoping I was not filling the transmission with scrap metal. Last time I changed the oil I put 3 magnets on the plugs. Today I pulled the plugs and found this:

A very light coating of very small particles, phew!

In the next couple of days I will pull the transmission and split it open. Very curious to see what, if anything, I find.

Don
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Enjoying the progress and lessons Don. You will be happy to hear the 53 is finally getting the love it deserves. Maybe even back on the road in 2023!

Eric
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

Quote:
You will be happy to hear the 53 is finally getting the love it deserves. Maybe even back on the road in 2023!

That is awesome! Post some pics, I'd love to see it.

Meanwhile at my house I pulled the transmission apart.

Don
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/1154452572/videos/10224242275581946

Merry Christmas!

(Video from a couple of years ago)

Don
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:06 pm    Post subject: Tranny Reply with quote

What did you find out was wrong with the transaxle? Which bearing(s) I guess.

The mainshaft bearings are easy to replace but perhaps the others should be replaced too? I am just wondering.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

None of the bearings were obviously bad but it was loudest idling in neutral so I replaced the input shaft bearings. As well since I was in there I did the diff carrier bearings. I should have done the main cluster bearings but they spun very smooth. Also since it was easiest to get to I replaced 3rd gear synchro.

Really the only thing I found wrong were worn out 3rd and 4th synchros. 4th doesn't really matter but 3rd was definitely crunchy. Where the scrap metal on the drain plugs came from I didn't find out.

Don
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Field find 1954 Canadian custom Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
None of the bearings were obviously bad but it was loudest idling in neutral so I replaced the input shaft bearings. As well since I was in there I did the diff carrier bearings. I should have done the main cluster bearings but they spun very smooth. Also since it was easiest to get to I replaced 3rd gear synchro.

Really the only thing I found wrong were worn out 3rd and 4th synchros. 4th doesn't really matter but 3rd was definitely crunchy. Where the scrap metal on the drain plugs came from I didn't find out.

Don

1st gear was in good shape? I was thinking the metal was most likely from 1st or reverse.

Hoping you got it!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33, 34  Next
Jump to:
Page 32 of 34

Jump to: