Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Original luggage room carpet?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EliasP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Hello,
The luggage room in my 76 bay got no carpet, just unprotected metal, whish makes that it becomes a lot of small scratches in the paint when putting stuff into it. Do anyone know if it originally used to be any type of carpet there? If the answer is yes, are there any reproduced of them? The bus is a 1976 bus with the spare tire bowl on the left side, standard model (klein), with black interior.
Pictures should be nice to see!
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

I’d like to know the answer to this also. I have a 1971 seven passenger bus
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Originally full interior buses had piece of 3-4 mm thick hardboard covered in a synthetic felt fabric, almost like cut pile indoor/outdoor carpet but thinner, very dark grey in color (almost black, like seat frames and dash tops). It was diabolical stuff that attracts dog hairs and pine needles and traps them for eternity.
Not sure if anyone offers a modern version.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Elias, are you referring to the space over the engine and behind the rear seat?

I did have a '73 that had original carpeting back there. Just carpet, with no board underneath. I have never seen an aftermarket replacement. I would recommend just cutting your own piece from some old carpet.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
Elias, are you referring to the space over the engine and behind the rear seat?

I did have a '73 that had original carpeting back there. Just carpet, with no board underneath. I have never seen an aftermarket replacement. I would recommend just cutting your own piece from some old carpet.

It sure seems like my '73 also had some kind of carpeting back there when I got it, but it was really nasty so I cut my own from some cheap stuff from the box store. I think it was indoor/outdoor black carpet. It is kind of floppy; it would be nice to have something with a little structure under it.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

EliasP wrote:
Pictures should be nice to see!

in my 1979 Bus:
(it original VW, has had a VW sign - but sold, because of camper conversion)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools

Last edited by rsbadura on Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

You might be able to find an original for a Vanagon and cut it down to fit a Bay. I agree with Bus Daddy though that the original was not very nice stuff.

I just have a remnant I picked up from a carpet store a couple of decades back. The guy gave it to me when he found out it was going to be used in a Transporter. I also have a piece of carpet padding that goes underneath it.

The stuff I have on the main cabin floor for my '83 1/2 Vanagon looks very similar to the original for the rear of a Bay, but is nicer to deal with and tougher as well. It came from Home Depot a dozen years back.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

I’ve some diamond plate foam mat over my wood flooring for protection. You can get from Lowe’s and cut to your desired shape.
EliasP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Thank you for your answers, then I think that I just buy some type of hall mat to cut to right size and put in the bus.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Originally full interior buses had piece of 3-4 mm thick hardboard covered in a synthetic felt fabric, almost like cut pile indoor/outdoor carpet but thinner, very dark grey in color (almost black, like seat frames and dash tops). It was diabolical stuff that attracts dog hairs and pine needles and traps them for eternity.
Not sure if anyone offers a modern version.

I have the original one I pulled out of my 71 deluxe. I can post photos for people later. I tried to wash it and it still looks horrible. I was just thinking about how I was going to address this earlier today. I have a few ideas but would love some more.

My idea right now, which doesn’t seem ideal but might look ok. Cut a piece of mdf board to arch original board. Then, Home Depot sells (or used to sell) a black indoor outdoor carpet with rubber backing. It is decently nice and pretty thin. I’d then glue that on the mdf. When I get around to it I’ll try and report back but it’s on my short list of final detail items on my 71 deluxe.
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Contact Sewfine. I picked up just the rear cargo area carpet with the padded underlayer that they sell in their full kits. It wasn't too spendy and they were fine with me just ordering that bit, even though they don't seem to list it in their catalog by itself.

It fits perfectly around the stock spare tire holder.
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Photos. Forgot how heavy this thing is too.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Yep, that's the stuff.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

A piece of carpet without the ridge backing is way easier to deal with. Even with my carpet pad underneath, I just roll it up and set it aside when I need to open the engine cover. Rolls out almost as easy.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
The stuff I have on the main cabin floor for my '83 1/2 Vanagon looks very similar to the original for the rear of a Bay, but is nicer to deal with and tougher as well. It came from Home Depot a dozen years back.

I did this earlier this year to see how much effect it had on sound dampening, compared to a bus that was empty at the time. (A lot, it turns out.)

The black thin and rubber-backed carpet off the giant roll at Home Depot was less than $20 and easily cut with a box cutter on the ground in minutes. I'll grab a picture if anyone would like. It looks great, almost factory, but it is like looking into a black hole sometimes; dark-colored cargo/tools can get easily lost.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djdh68dlux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

busmania wrote:
Photos. Forgot how heavy this thing is too.

Wow, not sure if I've ever seen that stuff. My 68 deluxe had the original German square weave in the luggage area (like the splitty deluxes). Was the square weave just a deluxe thing? Or only on early bays?

Looking for a VW club in Southern California? Check out Inland Valley Volkswagens: www.ivvw.org
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

I got around to making this this weekend. Traced the old onto a .25” piece of pretty soft plywood. Then I cut it out and covered it in carpet glue. Bought the homedepot carpet (I could only find it online now). I glued the carpet onto the cut out plywood and then put roofing shingles on top to hold it down for two days. I then cut the carpet around the plywood and installed. My version is a little thicker than original so getting it under the appropriate areas was difficult. I’m super happy with how it turned out. Painted and rebuilt my bumpers this week too! I’m officially “done” with my bus. The big stuff anyway!

wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

Wow, that really did turn out nice and it does look original. Well done.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

That looks great!, good job!, I'd roll that.

busmania wrote:
I’m officially “done” with my bus. The big stuff anyway!

Hahahahahahaha!, yeah right!............, you'll find something else soon enough I'm sure! Wink

Слава Україні!
busmania
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Original luggage room carpet? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
That looks great!, good job!, I'd roll that.

busmania wrote:
I’m officially “done” with my bus. The big stuff anyway!

Hahahahahahaha!, yeah right!............, you'll find something else soon enough I'm sure! Wink

Haha. Of course. Still tons of little things I want to do but I told my wife “hey babe, it’s done.” Her response was “yeah, till next weekend.” Thanks for the kind words!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: