Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best muffler to keep it quiet
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gregg in the 603
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

I had a stock BD $250 jobbie, same as the OP's. It wasn't bad, other than the fact that you also had to paint it with some bake-on hit temp ($$$) before use and really it's only barely quieter than my VS, which I love.
Go VS, not made in China, actually Thailand. They are awesome, not crap at all
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

86db loud-ha, you obviously don't drive a Thing.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
richparker wrote:
aeromech wrote:

I drove a 1971 bus recently that had a 6 month old VS muffler. It had leaks from poor fitment as well as being very loud. Chinese crap .

That is an installation issue, not a quality issue. The DB level of the VS is not a low as stock but waaaay quieter then any of those EMPI mufflers the OP posted. Also, it isn’t made in China and the quality is very good.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I know 3-4 people who tried a Vintage Speed muffler. All yanked them back off because they are loud. There's also lots of pictures of the stainless cracking on the mufflers.

My strong vote is stock muffler as well. Whether a type 1 engine or type 4.

Sure, some have broke and if they contacted VS I’m sure they got replaced. How old are those pictures? They have redesigned the end caps to eliminate that problem. I’m not saying they are for everyone, but to say they are bad quality when never owning one is a incorrect statement.
’65 Deluxe Build
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
It's easy to determine if it is leaking, block the end of the tailpipe with a towel as it idles, it should get silent, if you still hear putt putt putt or something else it's leaking. If it is jack up the bus (chock the wheels, jack stands, etc.) and lay under the engine while a helper blocks the pipe so you can pinpoint where the sound(s) are coming from, caution, hot parts..

Tried this test this morning. Put a rag in tailpipe, started the engine... thuuuuuup. Shot the rag across my yard, haha. Had to hold the rag in the tailpipe so it wouldn't shoot out of it. But it was quiet when it was in there, couldn't see any leaks, surprisingly. Guess what this tells me is that that the internals of my stock muffler have rusted away. Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

The Vintagespeed muffler issues with the weld for the tail pipe have since been addressed. When it happened to mine, a year into ownership, I sent them pics of it and they instantly sent out a brand new one to me no questions asked.

That sold me on their quality and customer service. The replacement has been going for a few years now with zero signs of issues.

It's plenty quiet.

I think the engine likes this setup better than stock (72-74) - but you can do slightly better with head temps and power with a proper collector style like the EMPI units (not those god awful dual muffler units)

The EMPI collector is definitely louder, but if your primary goal was every degree of cooling and power, I would go with the stainless EMPI collector setup for the 72-74 style heater boxes.

It'll be a very long time before ill be needing to replace my Vintage Speed unit, so who knows what the options will be when that time comes but that's where I would go next.

I daily drive my bus 365 days a year, it's not a vacation only or parade or car show vehicle, it does highways for hours on end or stop/go day to day in town and that VS exhaust holds up perfectly if you want something that'll last for a long time and be quiet enough.
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

Gregg in the 603 wrote:

Go VS, not made in China, actually Thailand. They are awesome, not crap at all

I'm pretty sure VS is in Taiwan, not Thailand.

Taiwan is also not China, but don't try to tell China that. Very Happy
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

From what I'm reading...
Vintage Speed: high quality, high price
EMPI: low quality, low price
Stock (BD): Just right
Custom: Wildcard

Busdepot wrote:
Quote:
Having used both of these, stock is quieter and lasts *way* longer than the EMPI unit.

Absolutely correct on both counts.
This one: https://www.busdepot.com/071251053ek

You win BusDepot, just placed my order for the stock setup Cool

Will have to measure the Db after the new install, and compare.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

It'll be quiet. I can chat normally at 70mph with my stock exhaust. The DRLA40 carbs are louder.
RalphWiggam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

If you decide to go with something non-stainless, just take it to your local powdercoater and get it ceramic coated.

If you get it blasted/coated when it is new it will most likely last 8-10 years with no issue.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

Can't hurt. But I have an UN-coated (standard/galvanized) stock muffler that I bought almost 10 years ago and it still look almost new. Can't remember where I got it, probably from the local repair shop in Seattle, Wolfsburg or Wagens West - some derivative name like that. I commuted daily in the Seattle rain for about three years and occasional pleasure driving - all in the rainy PNW - since then. Still looks very good!

I'd be happy to share pics and/or try to find a brand name on it if that helps. I think there's a big "K" logo on there somewhere. Does that mean anything?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

ok so i had the same issue and spent way too long researching finding the best solution for a stock original replacement for my bus type 4 engines.
and guess what?
I DID!! Cool Laughing
Ok so Ill make it easy for everyone else in the same boat wanting one;

You can still buy original VW spec ERNST exhasut/mufflers MADE IN GERMNAY for the type 4 engine from ERNST.
They are Very high quality and come in @ about 10kg/ 20lbs.

The ERNST part number is; 1004005

ERST also makes the exhaust/ muffler tips for these.

https://www.ernst-hagen.de/en/online-catalogue/

vw nutter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

and one of the tips available from ERNST

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

Bus Depot: Is that Ernst muffler the one you sell?

Do you sell just the tail pipe for this muffler?

The tailpipe rusted and fell off the muffler on my '73 a couple weeks ago, so I need to look into that. I think the muffler itself is OK, but I'll need to do something about the pipe.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Busdepot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Bus Depot: Is that Ernst muffler the one you sell?
Do you sell just the tail pipe for this muffler?

Yes it is the exact same German Ernst muffler we include in this kit: https://www.busdepot.com/071251053ek
However the tailpipe that we include may be Ernst or Dansk/Jopex (Denmark) depending on availability. At the present time it's Dansk. And yes we do sell the tailpipe by itself as well: https://www.busdepot.com/021251185F
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

vw nutter wrote:
ok so i had the same issue and spent way too long researching finding the best solution for a stock original replacement for my bus type 4 engines.
and guess what?
I DID!! Cool Laughing
Ok so Ill make it easy for everyone else in the same boat wanting one;

You can still buy original VW spec ERNST exhasut/mufflers MADE IN GERMNAY for the type 4 engine from ERNST.
They are Very high quality and come in @ about 10kg/ 20lbs.

The ERNST part number is; 1004005

ERST also makes the exhaust/ muffler tips for these.

https://www.ernst-hagen.de/en/online-catalogue/

Die Website ist in deutscher Sprache. Ich habe den Schalldämpfer gefunden. Ich vertraue darauf, dass BusDepot einen angemessenen Preis hat. Meine Bestellung mit ihnen wurde gerade geliefert, also muss ich sehen, wie es aussieht, wenn ich nach Hause komme.
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

RalphWiggam wrote:
If you decide to go with something non-stainless, just take it to your local powdercoater and get it ceramic coated.

If you get it blasted/coated when it is new it will most likely last 8-10 years with no issue.

What would folks recommend for an older used (but original) muffler that has some rust?

Would it be best to have it blasted and ceramic powdercoated, or blasted and painted with high-temp, or treated with Ospho and painted, or what?
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWSunny72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

I have been emailing a salesperson at Ernst so that she can give me that tech specs of the stock muffler (071251053E). I want to see the exact measurements of the muffler to see how it can fit with Jeremy's tow hitch installed. She told me that they have stopped making them and doesn't have the specs. I am not sure if she really knows but throwing it out for those that care. Separately, does anyone have the width of the stock muffler from flange to end of cylinder (i.e. front to back when installed)? Its fairly tight so need a pretty accurate measurement.
smitty1976bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

Got the muffler from BusDepot today, and she looks good, thank you BusDepot! . It is indeed an Ernst muffler:

Tailpipe is not, it's a Dansk.

VWSunny72 wrote:
I have been emailing a salesperson at Ernst so that she can give me that tech specs of the stock muffler (071251053E). I want to see the exact measurements of the muffler to see how it can fit with Jeremy's tow hitch installed. She told me that they have stopped making them and doesn't have the specs. I am not sure if she really knows but throwing it out for those that care. Separately, does anyone have the width of the stock muffler from flange to end of cylinder (i.e. front to back when installed)? Its fairly tight so need a pretty accurate measurement.

I can do a better measurement tomorrow, when the paint on the muffler is dry. But a quick measurement comes to: 37.5 inches long and roughly 6.25 inches in width. Will be more precise tomorrow.

jtauxe wrote:
RalphWiggam wrote:

What would folks recommend for an older used (but original) muffler that has some rust?

Would it be best to have it blasted and ceramic powdercoated, or blasted and painted with high-temp, or treated with Ospho and painted, or what?

On my original muffler (stock), it was fairly rusted, but I sanded the outside of it down to bare metal and painted it with Duplicolors VHT (very high temp) paint. It's a ceramic paint which cures from the heat of the exhaust. Not sure how it compares to powdercoating, but I painted my original muffler 4 years ago, and it still looks good now. I did the same thing with this new muffler. I stripped it down to bare metal, going to paint it the VHT.

It's drying over night now, and will install on bus tomorrow and bake in the paint. Hopefully lasts. And hopefully be quiet.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

Good luck! Once you get the studs in the muffler (with threadlocker) and nuts on to secure the tailpipe (with anti-sieze,) PLEASE post a picture of the installed tailpipe angle.

The Dansk/Jopex muffler/tailpipe combos angle the tailpipe upwards at the perfect angle to catch precipitation and rust your new muffler from the inside out. Hopefully these good mufflers don't catch rain.

Once you've retorqued the exhaust after a few heat cycles, Exclamation coat the new studs/nuts/washers with the VHT paint as well. It will be easy to remove for a LONG time.

I'm convinced nobody at Dansk/Jopex has a tape measure,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Best muffler to keep it quiet Reply with quote

That tailpipe is not even close to correct for that muffler. It's a generic tailpipe for the later muffler. If you want what was original and much shorter pm me. I know where to find original German ones.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: