Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fixing Sagging Doors
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:25 pm    Post subject: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

Hello All,

I recently took the body off of the pan on my '67 Beetle and noticed that the doors are sagging quite a bit. (When I open them the drop about half an inch) The problem wasn't as bad where the body was still on the car, but it was still pretty noticeable. However, I want to fix this issue once and for all. I was wondering what the best way to fix this issue is. I was thinking that I'll weld the heater channels in while the doors are shut. This way my "A" and "B" pillars should have the correct dimensions from each other in order for the doors to close correctly. The reason why I was thinking that this could fix the issue is because I noticed that my "A" pillar moves, along with the front inner wheel well area when I lift up on the door.

Also, another issue is that my door gap is about 36.25," and it should be 36". In order to fix this issue, will I have to remove my braces, fix the door gap, and then weld my braces in again? The brace goes from the rear wheel well area to the front "A" pillar on both sides.

With Thanks,
Roman
•(__)•
(O\!/O) <--- supposed to look like a beetle Very Happy
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

I will attach pictures later when I get home
•(__)•
bomberbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

There are several things that affect the fit of the doors on these cars. I just welded in new a pillars, new firewall, heater channels, and the entire front wheel well piece on the drivers side. Tell us what pieces you are replacing/repairing.
I watched the bug me videos which were a good start, but its not everything you need to know. There are rubber blocks (shims?) that go under the mounting bolts at the front and rear of the car. There are varying thicknesses, the thickness of these blocks will affect your door gap. How well you tuck your heater channels up into their place will also affect it. I did the best I could on everything and still had a lousy door gap. Somebody on this forum said you have to loosen the mounting bolts all round, put a jack under a specific spot on the car, and jack it up to get your doors aligned. Then tighten the bolts.

door gap went from this
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

to this

Tell us where you are in the process.
Marion, Iowa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

This picture shows where my body braces are on the passenger side of the car. I installed a few more, but this is the main brace.

Wow! The before and after on the door gap is a big difference. Currently, I have removed the passenger side heater channel and prepped it for the new heater channel. The KlassicFab heater channels should be here on Tuesday, so I'll install them over winter break. My "A" and "B" pillars are still in good shape. However, I also need to replace the wheel well, rear quarter panel, and heater channel end cap area.
•(__)•
fabricator john
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 3:06 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Edit/Delete this post Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
this is a easy fix..first wd or penetrating lube your hinges (swing it back n forth till your arms are tired and winging freely).TO ADJUST THE DOOR DROP>>.take out your door striker (in the jamb) take the pan bolts loose down that side of the car,,,place a jack under the front post and jack the car up till the door shuts nice ( without the striker) look at the bodyline you now want the door about a 1/4" high (according to the bodyline)(to preload) now tighten the pan bolts with the car jacked up in position....let the car down and check your gap.... if satisified ,,,re install the striker and adjust for a perfect "CLICK"..........done it alot its easy ,nobody ever remembers this old trick was taught to me 20yrs ago when i was bangin tin at a big vw shop.....fabricator john
repost pm for questions easy peasy
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

fabricator john wrote:

this is a easy fix..first wd or penetrating lube your hinges (swing it back n forth till your arms are tired and winging freely).TO ADJUST THE DOOR DROP>>.take out your door striker (in the jamb) take the pan bolts loose down that side of the car,,,place a jack under the front post and jack the car up till the door shuts nice ( without the striker) look at the bodyline you now want the door about a 1/4" high (according to the bodyline)(to preload) now tighten the pan bolts with the car jacked up in position....let the car down and check your gap.... if satisified ,,,re install the striker and adjust for a perfect "CLICK"..........done it alot its easy ,nobody ever remembers this old trick was taught to me 20yrs ago when i was bangin tin at a big vw shop.....fabricator john
repost pm for questions easy peasy

This makes sense, I've never really thought of doing it this way. The only method that I've hear of was using a jack and jacking up the door at the end where it meets with the "B" pillar. Since I'm replacing the heater channels with the body off, what would you recommend me doing? Should I weld the heater channels in with the doors shut or should I not even worry about it until the body is back on the pan?
•(__)•
CiderGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

A sagging door problem could also be broken lower door hinge. Look there first.

1970 Karmann Ghia Coupe
1973 Karmann Ghia Coupe - Project car for sale
1970 Karmann Ghia Convertible (Body off restoration)

Timing is everything
rstrobel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fixing Sagging Doors Reply with quote

CiderGuy wrote:
A sagging door problem could also be broken lower door hinge. Look there first.

Ok, will do! Thanks for the advice!
•(__)•
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: