Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 short rear shift rod orientation
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

There are 2 dimples in the front of the LONG rear shift rod. One is pointing up (12 o'clock) and one is pointing to the drivers side (3 o'clock). I am using 3o'clock in this picture. Only one hole in the SHORT front shift rod and the screw is in it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The rotation of this whole rod assembly is very short. I am gonna guess 45 degrees (not including reverse). Does the current set up result in a good orientation of the rear-most SHORT rod, as pictured here? IIRC the rotation here will be counter clock-wise, making the orientation appear worse. the nut and bolt don't hit the underside and I have no idea how the tranz attaches, but is just does not look right.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

2nd should be close to level as I recall.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

I don't think this is a picture of a BAY coupler. But is should be pretty much the same, right?

It is "level" as you said. I putzed with mine last night and could not get it level using the several dimples available at the front of the long shaft.

I guess I am gonna have to pull the shaft and flip it 180* and see if I can LEVEL it out. That birdie bushing better hang tight. Rolling Eyes

Trying to see what the shaft looks like on the TRANZ, I found this and it appears to be LEVEL. Is there a grub screw dimple in the "hockey stick" under what they are calling a modern style set screw?

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:22 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

All cage-type couplers for air-cooled VWs are the same. Early early cars used a straight shaft type coupler, and Vanagons used a series of bushings instead. Yours is correct, but sue inspect the cage for rotation. New couplers tend to suck in the “rotational integrity” department. This was the first and last coupler I installed without welding the cage to the collar:

Link

(Brand new, out of the box!)

Yes, the 1-2 plane is close to level as SGKent said when everything is installed, so the grub screw should face straight down.

Is the shifter in the cabin installed? Otherwise the twist angle of the rod (I like the paint by the way!) means nothing.

Robbie

Last edited by airschooled on Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:37 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
All cage-type couplers for air-cooled VWs are the same. Early early cars used a straight shaft type coupler, and Vanagons used a series of bushings instead. Yours is correct, but sue inspect the cage for rotation. New couplers tend to suck in the “rotational integrity” department. This was the first and last coupler I installed without welding the cage to the collar:

Robbie

I guess I mentioned the shift angle of rotation cause it will not rotate to LEVEL any way I attach the front rod to the long rear rod.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

So there is my answer. But the dimple is facing UP. Next question, is there a dimple on the btm of that shaft too? Cause the grub screw on the cage type bushing is facing up. I could easily flip it, but won't it be tuff to tighten?

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

Grub screw head faces down, for maximum accessibility. Some hockey sticks have that dimple on top too, I’ve never known why.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:

I like orange better... Very Happy

So do you have a shot of the front coupling to the front shaft and the resulting orientation of the "ball cup"? IIRC the 1-2 slot has the small R lockout ring on the stick touching the lockout tab. making the cup point ever so slightly to the passenger side (right)

I suppose like THIS WHOLE project, I am gonna have to take all that out and install it again a different way. Like I saw on here the other day, " whatever is worth doing, is worth doing twice." sometimes 3 or 4 times. Shocked
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

Is the shifter installed in the cabin?? Exclamation
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
Is the shifter installed in the cabin?? Exclamation

yes

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

Ok thank you. I have spent too many hours on the phone troubleshooting cars that have run out of fuel. Razz

Next thing to check would be the grub screw in the collar that’s connects the front to center shift rod. (Readers note: ‘72 buses have a one year only additional shift rod, making what most of us know as the “rear” shift rod is actually the “center” shift rod on a ‘72.) I have seen some buses where that screw is tightened so far out of alignment that the grub screw too can not make a true landing in the divot in the rod. Also inspect the divot base for a true conical shape; a wallowed out divot can be filled with tin foil to get you home if you purchase a new bus like that, but expect it to fail in about a hundred city miles. The fix would be to drill a new divot, which could result in a problem like this if you didn’t assemble it the same way.

Check the grub screw for proper landing and snugness in the front collar. Disassemble the collar and look for indications of other installations.

Is this the same rod that came out of the car? Did it shift properly before?
Robbie
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Check the grub screw for proper landing and snugness in the front collar. Disassemble the collar and look for indications of other installations.

Is this the same rod that came out of the car? Did it shift properly before?
Robbie

Thanks for adding you thoughts:

Until recently, there was nothing but the wire harness in this bus.... All orange parts were cleaned, rust proofed and painted by me.

I have never driven the bus. What I see is the Front Shaft being a tube. One end has the ball cup for the shift lever and the other end has one hole for the grub screw. With the ball cup facing up the grub screw hole faces the drivers side: 3 o'clock.

the newly named, by you Smile , middle shaft is solid and has 2 dimples for the grub screw in the front. (why 2?) and a U-weldment on the rear for the short 72 only rear shaft, seen in earlier pictures. I have tried both dimples, with the ball cup facing up, close to as if engaged in 1st or 2nd gear, and the resulting end of the short rear shaft cage bushing grub screw is 7 o'clock or 5 o'clock.... never reaching 6 o'clock. or some have called LEVEL.

All nuts and bolts have been cleaned with a wire brush and lubed with anti-seize. None are stuck, and I am 99% sure I am hitting the dimples with the grub screw.

I hate to say it, but I am to the point that this system must be removed and assembled on the floor of the garage. I am lost.

Last edited by malcolm2 on Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

OK. 2nd time is the charm, as they say. I am usually a person that will "dry fit" stuff on the floor, or on the bench. I did not this time.....

As it turns out, the short shaft has 2 holes in the coupling end. And the long shaft has 2 dimples in the coupling end. Not sure why it has 2, but it does and THEY MATCH UP. One is at 4 o'clock and one is at 8 o'clock.

That was my problem, I had the long shaft UPSIDE DOWN. The dimples were at 2 and 10. All is well.

I hope someone reads this thread and does it right the 1st time.

short shaft holes

tuff to see in the picture but the long shaft's dimples. It is easier to see the 2 dimples in the picture above with the shaft upside down. Laughing

lastly, I think my cage bushing has an out of wack grub screw. See how it is NOT pointing directly down. I am gonna get another one.

airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 short rear shift rod orientation Reply with quote

Nice job!

That off-set grub screw could be coupler rotation, (likely,) or a manufacturing quirk that allows the new aftermarket shifters to actually work, since they’re all off-center too. Cool

Robbie
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: