Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

which carb to use
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: which carb to use Reply with quote

I have a 74 beetle which I am rebuilding the motor. I have several motors, so the case is an F0 case, but I'm running 1600 jugs and dual port heads. I have a 34 pict-3 carb that the air flow screw messed up the threads. I also have two 30 pict-2 carbs.

Question, should I get a 30 pict-2 adapter for dual ports or should I purchase a new 34 pict-3 carb?

Running 009 distributor too.

Thanks
Bob
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

A 34 pict-3 and stock vacuum advance distributor would be best for a daily driver.

From a search of the forum for "new 34 pict-3", with the "Titles Only" box check marked, got this result among a few others:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=634479&highlight=34+pict-3
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

I have a couple 009 distributors. So unless there is a real problem using them I'd rather not worry about buying another distributor. The 30 Pict-2 ran well with the 009, but from past experience 34 pict-3 had the lag. So that is my dilemma.

Eric&Barb wrote:
A 34 pict-3 and stock vacuum advance distributor would be best for a daily driver.

From a search of the forum for "new 34 pict-3", with the "Titles Only" box check marked, got this result among a few others:

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:
I have a couple 009 distributors. So unless there is a real problem using them I'd rather not worry about buying another distributor. The 30 Pict-2 ran well with the 009, but from past experience 34 pict-3 had the lag. So that is my dilemma.

Either way with either carb is not a REAL problem. It is just much better with the correct distributor and carb. Dealt with a young fellow out this way over the last five years or so. Kept telling him he should try the stock vacuum distributor, and he would say he was happy with the 009. Finally he installed the vaccum distributor, and he is absolutely amazed at how MUCH nicer/easier his VW drives!!

Just write down which distributor should work with the 34 PICT-3 carb and next VW swap meet you attend, start looking for a good used one you can clean & lube up.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

txasylum wrote:

Eric&Barb wrote:

The 30-2 in my opinion is the WORST 30 series carb Solex made. I run a restored one on my 69 bug and HATE it. Sometime I will upgrade to the 30-3.

For that engine you're suggesting, absolutely run a German Solex 34-3. You can check with Tim at Volkzbitz.com to see if he can fix your issue or may have other options.

Yes, the 009 mechanical only distributor is the WORST to run w/a 34-3 carb. Off idle hesitations/flat spots galore. The 009 works with the smaller 30 series carbs for sure.

You do need a SVDA to run with the 34-3 carb. If you plan to keep your VW for any amount of years, do it right. Get a restored German Solex 34-3 and a restored German Bosch SVDA. You'll love how your VW runs.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. For now I ordered the adapter, but when/if I purchase a 34-3 I will get the correct distributor. I did look at Tim's stuff, as well as what is on Ebay. I see Bosch 034 diet for the 34-3 pict, so go notes written down.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:

The 30-2 in my opinion is the WORST 30 series carb Solex made. I run a restored one on my 69 bug and HATE it. Sometime I will upgrade to the 30-3.

I never cared at all for the 30PICT-2. However, I downgraded... I run a 30PICT-1 -and matching 205K distributor- on the 1600DP on my Baja Bug (and use one on the big bore 40HP in my 62)

I think it's hard to beat the 30PICT-1, the last carb that DVG made for VW before making emissions mods to it. I'm surprised to this day that no one has gone and made a 34PICT-1, but I suppose that maybe they can't, due to emissions laws.

IMAGE NOTE: It has been noted that Chrome based browsers may have issues in displaying my vast image library, which use non-secure links and are on an FTP server. Images should still be viewable if the link is clicked though.
I do not know how to fix this. All I can say is it all works fine for me with what I use, Firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

34-Pict-3 is definitely the way to go. There are many more options than Volkzbitz.

You can search for an NOS carburetor. There are also other reputable rebuilders.

If you are happy with your 009 stick with it. Some people do not experience the hesitation due to their driving habits. 034 is a good distributor that I sell but it is also not worth the money that is being asked for them. Neither the cores nor the rebuilt units are. There are many different distributors for the 1600.

Here are some options all with genuine new Bosch vacuum canisters (not those cheap knockoffs you may find on others.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2181010
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127097
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2189418

Also, if you are going to buy a restored distributor be mindful of the parts that are used. There are plastic parts that are over 40 years old. I'm the only one that manufactures those plastic parts (you will see them in the ads).
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txasylum
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: which carb to use Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I just put the motor back in the car. hoping to take it for a test drive next week. If I have problems with the carb / dist, I will certainly look at something different.

heimlich wrote:
34-Pict-3 is definitely the way to go. There are many more options than Volkzbitz (and quite possibly better).

You can search for an NOS carburetor. There are also other reputable rebuilders.

If you are happy with your 009 stick with it. Some people do not experience the hesitation due to their driving habits. 034 is a good distributor that I sell but it is also not worth the money that is being asked for them. Neither the cores nor the rebuilt units are. There are many different distributors for the 1600.

Here are some options all with genuine new Bosch vacuum canisters (not those cheap knockoffs you may find on others.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2181010
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127097
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2189418

Also, if you are going to buy a restored distributor be mindful of the parts that are used. There are plastic parts that are over 40 years old. I'm the only one that manufactures those plastic parts (you will see them in the ads).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: