Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Put in some time sanding down the body today. Amazed at the lack of rust. There is none! I found one door ding I need to address however.

Trying to get as much accomplished as I can before my friends come over to help me pull it off and put it on the dollies.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:

And in the rear you can have a longer stroke than what you actually need because of the bump stops back there right?

Yep, having extra stroke won't hurt anything.

But, If you don't have enough extended length, the shock will pull apart on rebound before the spring plate contacts the lower stop.

And, if the shock bottoms out internally before the spring plate contacts the upper stop, the shock will be damaged too.

If you can mock up the trailing arm and spring plate against the upper stop before actually indexing the torsion bars, you could get an accurate compressed measurement. Then after you index the torsion bars and put everything together, you could get your extended measurement even if you had to jack up the car to get the spring plate against the bottom stop. That way you could be sure you wouldn't be damaging your shocks.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

And in the rear you can have a longer stroke than what you actually need because of the bump stops back there right?

Yep, having extra stroke won't hurt anything.

But, If you don't have enough extended length, the shock will pull apart on rebound before the spring plate contacts the lower stop.

And, if the shock bottoms out internally before the spring plate contacts the upper stop, the shock will be damaged too.

If you can mock up the trailing arm and spring plate against the upper stop before actually indexing the torsion bars, you could get an accurate compressed measurement. Then after you index the torsion bars and put everything together, you could get your extended measurement even if you had to jack up the car to get the spring plate against the bottom stop. That way you could be sure you wouldn't be damaging your shocks.

Sounds good. That will have to be next month or so after the parts get back from powder coating. I am finally getting done with tearing everything apart so time to start order parts and doing actual work.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Pulled the bug out today to get some current pics so you can see what I’m working with. Almost have all the paint stripped off and then I am going to epoxy primer and raptor line inside and out when the body is off the car. Got the garage all cleaned up and blowed our so I am ready to take the body off tomorrow. Looking forward to getting the new floor pans and redoubt the entire chassis in the next couple weeks!

Anyone know of a good solution for getting the grease out of the trailing arms and front beam before I drop them off to the powder coaters?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

If you are planning on using this off road where rocks and stuff is going to hit the suspension, powered coating is not the way to go. It will chip off and scratch off.
STEEL-IT is a stainless steel coating that being used in off road racing because is stays on parts and is easy to touch up. You can even weld through it.
Comes in spray cans, quarts, and gallons.
Two colors, stainless and black.
Can be found at several off road shops, including KarTek in Corona, CA
I use it on my stuff and seen what it looks like on a Trophy Truck after it has raced in Baja.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Having fun with Dune Buggies since 1970
Into Volkswagens since 1960
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
If you are planning on using this off road where rocks and stuff is going to hit the suspension, powered coating is not the way to go. It will chip off and scratch off.
STEEL-IT is a stainless steel coating that being used in off road racing because is stays on parts and is easy to touch up. You can even weld through it.
Comes in spray cans, quarts, and gallons.
Two colors, stainless and black.
Can be found at several off road shops, including KarTek in Corona, CA
I use it on my stuff and seen what it looks like on a Trophy Truck after it has raced in Baja.

I just saw that today when I was ordering my off-road mirrors from Kartek. I think the black would work good in my application. Do you think it would be more durable than raptor liner on the suspension parts? Do you have any pics of your parts done it? Thanks for the info!
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

All my stuff is covered with dirt now, have not washed it since last outing.
There a couple of videos on KarTek site about STEEL-IT
Motion Tire Motorsports
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
All my stuff is covered with dirt now, have not washed it since last outing.
There a couple of videos on KarTek site about STEEL-IT

Thanks I’ll check them out. Looks like nice stuff but expensive. How far does a can go? And is it like one coat coverage or do you have to do multiple coats?
jsturtlebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Spray cans goes pretty far, I do one coat dusting then a final coat.
You can buy a quart and spray it with paint gun. best to have a 1.7 size nozzle.
Or brush it on, it flows well.
I did the front bumper on my truck with it using a spray gun with smaller size, had to thin it to make work.
Motion Tire Motorsports
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

jsturtlebuggy wrote:
Spray cans goes pretty far, I do one coat dusting then a final coat.
You can buy a quart and spray it with paint gun. best to have a 1.7 size nozzle.
Or brush it on, it flows well.
I did the front bumper on my truck with it using a spray gun with smaller size, had to thin it to make work.

Thanks man! Sounds pretty good, I am watching vids on it right now. Looks like good stuff. I’ll probably go with the matte black finish. I still plan on doing the chassis itself in Raptor liner for the undercoating properties like sound and heat.

I appreciate the tip and the heads up, this will save me time and money over the powder coat and sounds like it is more durable. I think I will just buy a cheapy spot sand blaster and do my arms and beam so the stuff sticks good.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Had a buddy from my old work come over today and help me and my father take the body off. Put it on some cheap Harbor Freight dollies so I can roll it around when not working on it. I thought I had forgotten to take something off, but it was just the body to pan gasket and engine gaskets sticking and they needed to kind of snap off. Anyways, got it done, and I am excited, now I can finally see what exactly I am working with. I will take more detailed pictures for reference photos later, but now I can start cutting out the old floor pans and trim the new to be welded in. Then I will take all the parts off the chassis I can before sanding it down, seam sealing it, and then raptor lining the whole thing. The mechanical suspension parts are now going to be done in the black Steel-It, after sandblasting, instead of powder coat so I can do it at home, on my own time and it will be a much more durable surface. After the chassis is all painted, I have every seal, bearing, and piece that can be replaced sitting in my shop so I can rebuild the beam, brakes, etc... I am finally going to start getting somewhere on this build before I have to start painting the body in Raptor as well.

As you can see I am pretty pleased with what I am starting out with. Seems to be a pretty nice, rust free car. Should go pretty smoothly from here on out once the new floor pans are installed. Time to get going finally!
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Rolled the chassis out front today while the wife taking a nap and hit it with some engine degreaser and a steel brush. I was going to pressure wash it, but my pressure washer sprung a leak so I need to get some new o-rings for it and then wash the chassis again with more degreaser. I can finally see where the bolts are now! I honestly thought it was some sort of undercoating on all the parts but it was actually just grease and road grime, 51 years worth. Overall I think I lucked out on the lack of rust and I am excited to start taking things down. I think I will leave it together to weld the floorpans on first so it retains its shape the way it would while driving and then take everything down. I have to find a hex bit large enough for the rear trailing arm screws and I am also considering rebuilding the steering box while I have access to it. Anyone know of a kit for doing this?

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got started cutting out the old floorpans today. Started with my cutoff wheel but it was going too slow for my liking so I used the air chisel to cut away up to about 2” from the lip. I then hammered the old floorpans up to see where the layers were and air chiseled along the lip separating the two. My first time doing this, I think it turned out pretty good. I managed to keep all the whole lip all the way around in pretty good shape, now I just have to grind it smooth and start fitting the replacements.

The passenger side gave me confidence to tackle the more difficult driver side. I will have to remove the pedal cluster and brake lines before I go.

While I was doing this I also used the air chisel to get rid of the tarboards on the tunnel since I am raptor lining the whole thing and then putting sound deadener. Plus it lets me inspect everything as I go.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Not as much done today because of doctors appointments, but managed to get the master cylinder out, pedal cluster and more of the tunnel stripped to make way for epoxy primer. Hope to get more done tomorrow. Would like to get the floorpans and welding done by the end of the month.

I am looking up parts to rebuild my pedal cluster since I have it out. Might as well replace the bushings, Springs, clutch cable hook and repaint it all while I have easy access to it.

Received my “bulletproof” throttle cable from Aircooled.net which was repacked Scat HD throttle cable and hardware kit, and the proper sized urethane bushings for the Atomwerk spring plates. Also received a Wolfsburg West pre-67 grab handle so I can fit that one to my dash since I will not being using a dash pad and I will weld in the holes.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Managed to get some more sanding of the chassis done today, still working on that, but didn't get as far as I'd like today. Had to deal with refinancing our house.... Anyways, did manage to get my mirrors in from Kartek. I think these will be really nice. I have never had a passenger side mirror on a bug before, so that will be a first. I went with the 6" convex mirrors and I think they will be a great addition. It should be easier to see blind spots. Only drawback will be I don't think I'll be able to open the wind wings all the way, but they seem to flop back when you hit a certain speed anyways, so not a huge deal. I will be mounting these with nutzerts, before I do the raptor liner, so I don't have to drill through the bed liner.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Managed to get the driver's side floorpan cut out today. I only used the cutoff wheel to get a starting point and then just went at it with the air chisel. I found that if I ripped it around the pan, about 1-2" from the welds, I could hammer up a section and then use the air chisel to chase it all the way around the chassis. It was much simpler this time, the only hard part was working around the seat tracks, but I just bent the old floor pan down and smashed the track away with my hammer and it busted the welds enough to tear it off. I will clean up the lip with a grinder and start fitting the new floorpans very soon.

I am excited, almost done stripping everything down and done with the dirty work. I will be anxious to start painting and putting in new clean parts, and making progress.

tobiism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Great progress!
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

tobiism wrote:
Great progress!

Thank you! Wish it was more but I am currently under the weather with a herniated disc in my back so just taking it easy, but still motivated to get as much as I can done before my daughter is born in March!

Just won two 30 PICT-1 carbs used off eBay for $8 total, so I will take a on them and probably between the two and a rebuild kit will have enough parts to make a good one. If not, hardly our anything on them. I am attempting to backdate my engine and fuel system to simplistic circuits.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Did more sanding on the chassis today and some general cleaning up. I am almost ready to start fitting the new floorpans. I have to trim atleast an inch off of them. They are substantially more heavy than the ones I cut off. Either they are heavier duty or the originals shed so much material over 50 years.

Also did some experimenting on cleaning up the heater boxes and the transmission. I believe I will be able to make them look like new. I will probably put them off the motor at some point and freshen them up. The transmission will be removed because I have to put in the 100mm final drive flanges anyways and new mounts.

Last edited by Double-Double on Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Got the passenger side floor pan mostly fitted today. I have to get a deburring bit and an air grinder to finish because I still have some old welds left over I can’t quite get to with my 4.5” grinder or the air cutoff wheel I have. I am taking my time and fitting it and grinding on the edges to get a nice small gap along the tunnel. After it is fitted I will run my air flange/punch tool down the edge to make the holes for the spot welds. Anyways, I feel like it’s going pretty good (albeit slowly) for my first time. I was pretty nervous about messing up a $250 floor pan. I have had to take off approximately 3/4” almost all the way around.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 28

Jump to: