Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

Did you switch to LEDs or use standard bulbs?

It will be a while before the car is done and drivable. I am hoping for this summer.

I'll probably stay with standard bulbs. Your car will definitely be done before mine. Anxious

I'm sending you a PM, I have a question/lead for you.

My cables arrived today. I am very impressed with AutohausAZ, they are a very fast shipper. I did mess up and order two of the front heater cables, so I have a spare, but it's not worth the time and money to send it back. I ordered a new clutch cable, front heater cable (x2), rear heater cable, emergency brake cables (x2), FEBI steering coupler and a clutch Bowden tube. I should have all my chassis parts to completely redo the entire chassis other than the rear shocks, final drive flanges and stub axles either ordered or in my possession. I am looking forward to getting the floor pans welded in and raptor lining the chassis and getting to work installing everything.

Doing research on CB radios tonight to figure out with one I want to put in the dashboard where the radio was. I am looking for one that will fit in that area, has weatherband radio and probably change channel on the face not on the mic. I will run an antennae with my whip flag so it eliminates having to run both. The other option is to just run one of the micro ones with the controls on the mic and just mount it under the dash and keep stereo in stock spot but would have to cut out hole for a single din radio.

What I am thinking about doing since I am relocating my wiring harness to under the rear seat is putting this cb in the stock fuse panel location and then filing in the ashtray area with steel, welding it in, and putting the mic mount where the ashtray used to be.

https://uniden.com/collections/cb-radios/products/cmx760-off-road-compact-cb-radio-with-mic-display

Basically it would fill up that hole almost exactly and I can make a nice mount box or use the factory mounts to put it there. Run a 6 foot cb antenna cable to my front bumper, put a 7 foot firestick antenna with whip flag for offroading, and make my minimum 9 foot height for local offroading laws.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Been looking at wheels all weekend long trying to find some 15x5.5 wheels that will work with a full fender sedan running 215/75r15 BFG KO2. I am really having a hard time finding some with the proper offset. I will have the Thing spindles so it will increase my track width. What does anyone recommend in my situation and why? If I could get the tires mounted on my stock rims I would but no local shops will do it without stepping up to wider rims.
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Try a llanteria instead of a tire shop. Or just do it yourself. I've mounted/dismounted 700r15, 205/75r15, 165/80r15 on 4" and 4.5" stock steelies dozens of times. It's extremely easy, slightly harder than a bicycle tire and not even 1% of the difficulty of a damned dirt bike tire.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

I’m running 237/75/15 on stock 5.5 wheels. No problems with that. I did mount them myself. It’s very easy.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Accomplished a little today. Got final fitment done on the floorpans. I had to take some old weld off to get them to fit real nice, so I was waiting on a deburring bit. I did my final fitting with a 120grt flap disc on a grinder. They fit real nice and tight. I am pretty satisfied on how they fit and the thickness of the floorpans. Ended up taking almost 1.5" off all sides of the pan, as they were way oversized. I have less than a 1mm gap on the edges so they fit real tight to the center beam, they should weld up nice and seam seal even better. I know I took way too long to fit them. I probably have 5-6 hours on each side, but, I am way too perfectionist when I work on a project. I guess that's why I don't let anyone else do the work for me because I'm always disappointed in the job they do.

Received half of my Rockauto order, so I've been keeping track of that and inventorying it as it came. Still have a quite a bit coming including all the brake parts. Also received a new TRW steering box today I got half off on eBay so that was a good score! I think by the time I'm done with the car over 75% of it will probably be new LOL. Every time they ship an order they put a magnet in the box, at this rate I'll probably have half the set.

Leaning toward some Empi Riviera wheels with 215/75R15 tires. I am leaning heavily towards BF Goodrich KO2, but I must have something with a mountain snowflake symbol so I don't have to chain up every time we get inclement weather. These wheels seem to be one of the least offset wheels available for 4 lug. I wish the "stock style" 5.5" wheels didn't have such a huge offset, as I'd run then, but alas, not meant to be. Not a big problem, just have to finalize a decision on rims. I want to be able to collect on my tire warranty and get them mounted and balanced anywhere I choose so I have to get some aftermarket rims.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

petrol punk wrote:
Try a llanteria instead of a tire shop. Or just do it yourself. I've mounted/dismounted 700r15, 205/75r15, 165/80r15 on 4" and 4.5" stock steelies dozens of times. It's extremely easy, slightly harder than a bicycle tire and not even 1% of the difficulty of a damned dirt bike tire.

How do you balance them? And how does warranty work?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

vwtrey wrote:
I’m running 237/75/15 on stock 5.5 wheels. No problems with that. I did mount them myself. It’s very easy.

I would do that but the aftermarket 5.5” have a worse offset.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Here's how mine stick out. Yes, my garage is a mess right now.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

vwtrey wrote:
Here's how mine stick out. Yes, my garage is a mess right now.

I believe the aftermarket 5.5 make it move the rim more towards the center of the car. Which I think would make problems as far as rubbing on the bump stops and stuff. I could be wrong but that’s what my research shows so far.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Yeah if it moved it in, that would be a problem. I have 4.5 stock wheels, I might try those one day.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

vwtrey wrote:
Yeah if it moved it in, that would be a problem. I have 4.5 stock wheels, I might try those one day.

Yeah from what I see the steel 5.5” aftermarket are ET25 and that’s one of the largest ET I’ve seen. The smallest I could find are the Centerline style Empi Revolver wheels ET3.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Convert to a Chevy pattern, and run whatever you want?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

The rest of a my Rock Auto orders arrived today, so I should have everything necessary to rebuild the entire chassis minus stub axles and final drive flanges, and rear shocks, which will be figured out later. Took some time off painting the nursery to inventory everything and interestingly enough some of my $20 rear drums actually came from a German company, I figured it would all be China by now.

As you can see from all the magnets they include in each box, I spend way too much money at Rock Auto.

My $42 clearance 944 CVs arrived as well so that was a major score to save big money. They even came with moly grease for the cv joints.

UPDATE: Found the secret to getting tires mounted up. Just tell them you are carrying in the rims and they are for a dune buggy and they don’t care or ask questions. I guess I will stick with stock rims after all! Ordered 4 new stock steel OEM style rims from CIP1 for 50% off black Friday deal ($41 each shipped, that's a steal!) so I can just take them in and have them mounted and have my stock set for winter tires or something of that sort or just spares.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:

My $42 clearance 944 CVs arrived as well so that was a major score to save big money. They even came with moly grease for the cv joints.

I find it hard to believe those are actual 944 CV's. They might say they are 944 and that is because companys are selling type 2 CV's as 944, Thing or type 4 Cv's just because they fit. Almost all companys selling new CV's as real type 4 are just selling type 2 because they fit. The ads just say they fit 944 or Thing but in reality you have a type 2 that has less angularity then a real 944. I am just pointing it out because I have stated this so many times on other threads that people get shocked when they find they just bought type 2 CV's, so I would make sure you got what you paid for and the ad was just not saying they fit 944. They will work in your application if type 2 but you will not have the same angularity ability as the real deal. I can only find used 944,Thing or Type 4 CV's. Very rare to find a new full set unless Lobro just started making them again. I heard BMW also made a OE 944.

The two ways you can know is that the 944 balls are .688" and the T2 are .787" also you can measure the width of the CV itself. 944 are 34.02mm and the T2 are 32mm.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
petrol punk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

I find it hard to believe those are actual 944 CV's. They might say they are 944 and that is because companys are selling type 2 CV's as 944, Thing or type 4 Cv's just because they fit. Almost all companys selling new CV's as real type 4 are just selling type 2 because they fit. The ads just say they fit 944 or Thing but in reality you have a type 2 that has less angularity then a real 944. I am just pointing it out because I have stated this so many times on other threads that people get shocked when they find they just bought type 2 CV's, so I would make sure you got what you paid for and the ad was just not saying they fit 944. They will work in your application if type 2 but you will not have the same angularity ability as the real deal. I can only find used 944,Thing or Type 4 CV's. Very rare to find a new full set unless Lobro just started making them again. I heard BMW also made a OE 944.

The two ways you can know is that the 944 balls are .688" and the T2 are .787" also you can measure the width of the CV itself. 944 are 34.02mm and the T2 are 32mm.

Now I don't feel dumb for paying $80 for junkyard 944 axles Laughing
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

oldschool5er wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

Tell me what to measure and I’ll take whatever pics you want. I’m trying to learn these things as I go. I will have to buy some calipers if you want measurement of the balls.

Either way they were dirt cheap and will be a good upgrade over Type-1 CV joints. They were cheaper than rebooting my stock ones (even though they don’t need it yet) which I was planning on doing because I don’t want to crawl under this thing in the future.

oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

[quote="Double-Double"][quote="oldschool5er"]
Double-Double wrote:

You are doing a Great job on your build very nicely done. Just because they are type 2 doesn't really matter for a trail rider as they will work a lot better than stock T1. I just want to express the issue because so many people will follow threads and pick up the ideas, so it is a good thing to clarify the differences before people buy stuff. You are right they are dirt cheap and easy bolt on after you grease them. Cleaning and assembly of used CV's are a royal PITA so for the money you paid it is a very good option.

You would need a caliper to measure correctly but it isn't neccesary since you already have these just use them. When you index the rear for height they will still work superior to stock.

Buying an El Cheapo dial or digital caliper is a wise investment as they can be used so much it is worth the purchase.

Full machine shop with all types of CNC. Rapid prototyping available, CNC Plasma cutting, 3D printing and Laser engraving.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

[quote="oldschool5er"][quote="Double-Double"]
oldschool5er wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

You are doing a Great job on your build very nicely done. Just because they are type 2 doesn't really matter for a trail rider as they will work a lot better than stock T1. I just want to express the issue because so many people will follow threads and pick up the ideas, so it is a good thing to clarify the differences before people buy stuff. You are right they are dirt cheap and easy bolt on after you grease them. Cleaning and assembly of used CV's are a royal PITA so for the money you paid it is a very good option.

You would need a caliper to measure correctly but it isn't neccesary since you already have these just use them. When you index the rear for height they will still work superior to stock.

Buying an El Cheapo dial or digital caliper is a wise investment as they can be used so much it is worth the purchase.

Thanks for the help I appreciate it. I figure these are a decent investment especially since I will probably only raise the rear 2.5” or so to level it out. So honestly I probably could have gotten by with my stock cv’s but I was going this far I didn’t want to have to rip them out later when I heard clicking. I really want to do this stuff once considering I have herniated discs and degenerative arthritis in my neck and back so this is probably the only body off resto I’ve got in me (unless I can do a Meyers Manx someday and can pay someone to do the hard labor haha).

Unfortunate that they aren’t building them to spec anymore but like you said it’s still a good upgrade for the $42 I paid each and should give me more degrees of articulation as well as being a bolt on upgrade. I was pleasantly suprised they came with bolts and the plates so that was nice. I was planning on purchasing those but I guess I don’t need to now.

I had a nice set of digital calipers but just before I left the tractor shop I was working at someone walked off with them of course and I have just neglected replacing them yet.

I did do some calling around after taking a break painting and I am planning on sending my trans off to Rancho to get the super street package with 4.37 ring and pinion and super-diff. He is asking $1095 for it so that’s not too bad considering it should be the last trans I have to buy for this rig since I am not hard on my stuff and take good care of my rigs. Only issue is shipping 1000 miles each way, but I guess it’s done all the time.

Also contacted Rebel Wire and looking at doing a new wiring harness with extra long leads to relocate the fuse panel and relays to under the rear seat. I am currently doing research if I want to convert to alternator or not since they are on sale right now. I don’t think I will need the extra amps since the headlights and lights I will be using are LED so they use a fraction of the amps of halogen or sealed beam but we will see. A local shop to me quoted me $160 to have my Bosch starter and generator rebuilt so I may go that route while they are out.

Again, I appreciate all the help and criticism and tips I am receiving!
oldschool5er
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

[quote="petrol punk"]
oldschool5er wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

When I find them that is what I am paying for 4. The problem is that you roll the dice on if they are good when you clean them all up to see if you got a worn one. I have found two sets that were already cleaned but still one had some pitting. If you polish them up you can come close to the stock angles of a 930 cv although not as strong.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

[quote="oldschool5er"]
petrol punk wrote:
oldschool5er wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

When I find them that is what I am paying for 4. The problem is that you roll the dice on if they are good when you clean them all up to see if you got a worn one. I have found two sets that were already cleaned but still one had some pitting. If you polish them up you can come close to the stock angles of a 930 cv although not as strong.

How much lift would you need for 930 to be worth it? Just out of curiosity.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 5 of 28

Jump to: