Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Yes it was sold to a father and son who the dad works on Porsches and has a Class-11 style car of his own and they want to do a father/son project to complete it. So like I said it did go to a good home. I had fun with it, but it did get a bit long in the tooth at the end there. Sometimes you just want a nice clean project and a clean garage to work in haha. This week I have been cleaning the garage real nice and making space in the extra 1.5 bays and I have been toying with the idea of purchasing a Berrien Nostalgia chassis and a Meyers Manx body to put on top of it and having a nice clean dune buggy project to do this winter in time for the spring. I have also realized if I want to do some real off-roading like I had my mind set on, then I'd like something a bit more comfortable and capable like a new Bronco so I'll probably go that route for my trailblazing needs in the future.
“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
—Matthew 16:24–25
Epilog79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Noooo, you were making such huge strides. Now I totally understand. Having a newborn is a lot of work and stress on a household. I have had 2 kids and they are only young once!!! There are lots of bugs out there and future projects. Take care of yourself first, and down the road pick up the tools again. Life is a journey, God has your back and a plan.
I dragged our daughter all over the Pacific Northwest to all the Bug shows when she was still in a stroller. I had to plan her naps around the drive to a from the shows in Seattle. All she was interested in was seeing a purple bug. Vibrant Colors are very Important to a 2 year old. I had purchased my 79 before I got married, and finished the bug when the daughter was about 2. My wife wouldn’t let me take the little one for a cruise for fear we would get crushed by an SUV, so I had to wait till the kids were older. Enter the “rest” phase of my hobby. The bug sat in the garage, I took it to work on sunny days here an there and just waited. Finally when the son came along and turned 6 years old I finally was able to drag him to the Woodburn VW show. He loved it, we had a great time. He is now 16 and has mastered the VW manual transmission. Now I have to decide if I want to let him drive this on his own. That is where I am at in my decision. However he turned out to be more of an Audi fan than air cooled addict. But that is another story. Its all about the father son/daughter time spent together. Every step is precious!!! Hours spent in the garage waxing the bug or wife’s “Pearl” for Pacific Waterland.
So life is an adventure with lots of bumps and bruises but also so many highlights.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Really the pace you set was intense. The work is top notch and uncompromising. Be good to yourself brother. As it sits in storage enjoy browsing for a body of some sort or another. Building them is fun. Driving them is even funner tho. Something will present itself before next season.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Does this mean you sold it?
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Everyone deserves a break! Hope you get better and can work on it again whichever direction you decide to go in.

Peace!

Víctor

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Aww man! Good luck to you. Hope start feeling better soon.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Well, the bug has moved onto a new home this morning. My neck and my back are getting progressively worse so it’s time to move on to a different hobby or take a break. I’d still really like to have a VW in the future since I’ve put a lot of time and effort into them and learned a lot, so maybe a Manx isn’t out of the question but for now I’m going to take a break, take care of my health and my daughter and get fat by the fireplace. Thanks for all the well-wishes and advice!

“If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it.”
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Matt Wilson wrote:
If you do add a large sump, be sure you can cool the extra oil with another oil cooler. Otherwise, it could warm up real slow, then once hot you'll never be able to cool the huge amount of thermal mass with the stock cooler and fan.

Sumps are good to add oil capacity so that on aggressive acceleration or hard cornering you don't get any oil starvation, which is why you see them in drag racing and on high hp engines. If you are just chasing cooling on a relatively stock buggy engine, adding a cooler and a filter/plumbing can increase your "cool-able" oil capacity by double, while maintaining ground clearance.

Having a sump ripped off by a rock doesn't help your capacity or your cooling Smile

That makes sense about getting it cooled back down again. Thanks Matt.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

joemama wrote:
I dont think you can effectively adjust your shifter without being able to drive the car, although you now have a preliminary adjustment that may be fine, or not. Im not sure that not being able to roll the car while in gear proves anything. I think you have the motor bolted on to the transmission? Why not get it running so you can try the different gears? Probably should get the brakes functioning before that. I shouldnt confess this, but when I got the pan done for my fiberglass buggy, I put a milk crate in it for a seat, supported the steering column on my lap, my 6 year old daughter, and my 9 year old son sat on the pan, and we drove it around the block. My wife was not home at the time. My friend that lives around the block, heard the motor and came running out to watch and give a thumbs up. That was 20 years ago. Im sure the kids will never forget it.

I called up Strictly Foreign and since the trans is rebuilt and has new synchros and stuff it is going to be extremely stiff and it won’t receive oil up to the top of the transmission unless the motor is running which I can’t do at the moment since not wired so that explained everything. Basically it’s a roller at the moment but everything is all good.
Matt Wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

If you do add a large sump, be sure you can cool the extra oil with another oil cooler. Otherwise, it could warm up real slow, then once hot you'll never be able to cool the huge amount of thermal mass with the stock cooler and fan.

Sumps are good to add oil capacity so that on aggressive acceleration or hard cornering you don't get any oil starvation, which is why you see them in drag racing and on high hp engines. If you are just chasing cooling on a relatively stock buggy engine, adding a cooler and a filter/plumbing can increase your "cool-able" oil capacity by double, while maintaining ground clearance.

Having a sump ripped off by a rock doesn't help your capacity or your cooling Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

I dont think you can effectively adjust your shifter without being able to drive the car, although you now have a preliminary adjustment that may be fine, or not. Im not sure that not being able to roll the car while in gear proves anything. I think you have the motor bolted on to the transmission? Why not get it running so you can try the different gears? Probably should get the brakes functioning before that. I shouldnt confess this, but when I got the pan done for my fiberglass buggy, I put a milk crate in it for a seat, supported the steering column on my lap, my 6 year old daughter, and my 9 year old son sat on the pan, and we drove it around the block. My wife was not home at the time. My friend that lives around the block, heard the motor and came running out to watch and give a thumbs up. That was 20 years ago. Im sure the kids will never forget it.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s Adventure Bug Build Reply with quote

Watched numerous videos on how to adjust the shifter, and tried with both the stock and the EMPI trigger shifter, and when the car is in gear, or feels like it is in gear, I can't get it to roll forwards or backwards in anything other than 1st gear. The trans was rebuilt and has zero miles on it since rebuild. It is a super street freeway flyer, so I don't know if it's something to do with the superdiff? I took the spark plugs out thinking it was the compression of the engine that was acting as a brake, but nothing. I don't have my brakes bled or even hooked up so it can't be that, and when it's in neutral it rolls fine. Anyone have any ideas?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
We have raced CODE events out of Mexicali at 110 degrees. Flat out at 6k for 2 hour heats. But, ya I understand. For a street driver a sump is nice. I had 3.5 on my 1776 and drove cross country. I wasn’t worried until I was in the middle of the Mojave.

Since we plan on moving to Southern Utah I think it’s almost a necessity. Unfortunately they are out of stock at the moment.
PDX_VW_Erik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double’s '70 Class 11 Style Trail Runner Build Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
Guys, I am so burnt out of this project. The only thing that will keep me going is if I can find a clean straight body with good heater channels and no cancer and straight aprons. It’s like a needle in a haystack around here in Oregon. I will do a few small projects to use up the parts I got left but after that I’ll probably either sit on this for a while or sell it at a loss. I have been putting off neck surgery to take care of my daughter and I don’t know how much longer I can and it makes me honestly not want to work on this anymore.

Sent a PM.

mukluk wrote:
Rather fitting signature line. I think you're going to gain some experience here.

Optimism will not solve all of your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

We have raced CODE events out of Mexicali at 110 degrees. Flat out at 6k for 2 hour heats. But, ya I understand. For a street driver a sump is nice. I had 3.5 on my 1776 and drove cross country. I wasn’t worried until I was in the middle of the Mojave.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

Scott SD wrote:
For my 1641, I started it, completed the initial break in. After I was happy with it, I pulled the rockers off. I will turn in over every once in awhile.

No need for a sump on a baja. All the class 11 and 5/16 guys don’t run them. The engine stays at 6k for hours.

Yeah but they don’t get stuck in 115 degree Las Vegas traffic either haha.
Scott SD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

For my 1641, I started it, completed the initial break in. After I was happy with it, I pulled the rockers off. I will turn in over every once in awhile.

No need for a sump on a baja. All the class 11 and 5/16 guys don’t run them. The engine stays at 6k for hours.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

Mike E. wrote:
Double-Double wrote:

Overall, a decent easy late night job while the family was out. Then I decided to tackle my EMPI trigger shifter...... well, regardless of when I have that shifter or the stock one on, I can't get the car to move in any gears at all except 1st. I don't know if I am just having a brain fart or something is up with my rebuilt transmission? I know it should be good to go, I have zero miles on it since rebuilt. It's a Super Street Freeway Flyer with the super-diffs. I really am at a loss for what to do, until I can call the rebuilder on Monday and pick his brain, but I am open for any suggestions.

There are several good videos on YouTube that go through how to properly adjust the VW shifters. I was having a problem a while back and didn't realize it was simply an adjustment at the shifter that would fix it

That sounds good I will check that out. I will also pull my plugs because I have a theory that the engine compression is what is keeping me from rolling it, like it creates drag? Maybe I'm crazy.... probably crazy. Rolling Eyes
Mike E.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:

Overall, a decent easy late night job while the family was out. Then I decided to tackle my EMPI trigger shifter...... well, regardless of when I have that shifter or the stock one on, I can't get the car to move in any gears at all except 1st. I don't know if I am just having a brain fart or something is up with my rebuilt transmission? I know it should be good to go, I have zero miles on it since rebuilt. It's a Super Street Freeway Flyer with the super-diffs. I really am at a loss for what to do, until I can call the rebuilder on Monday and pick his brain, but I am open for any suggestions.

There are several good videos on YouTube that go through how to properly adjust the VW shifters. I was having a problem a while back and didn't realize it was simply an adjustment at the shifter that would fix it
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Double-Double's Never-ending Baja Build Reply with quote

Received my carb base gaskets today finally so I installed the carb, and much to my surprise realized that the throttle would hang open. What happened was the accelerator pump linkage would catch on the body of the alternator and stick open.

I had two choices get the spacer kit (yuck) or make it fit. So I chose the later and accomplished it in a manner of ways. I used a roloc disc to get the flashing off the alternator on the area where it was making contact, smoothed out the pump arm and trimmed it down with the same disc, rotated the alternator clamp 90 degrees, and doubled stacked my base gaskets with some Permatex gasket maker like I do on all paper gaskets anyways. These procedures gave me enough so that the linkage moved freely just enough, and left me in the stock carb location so I wasn't cutting a hole through my fan housing with my HD Scat throttle cable or having to buy a different air filter than the K&N I just purchased.

Here is the accelerator pump linkage all the way open, has clearance now and I didn't have to take a chunk out of my alternator like I've seen in other threads regarding this problem. This is all the amount I had to take off the linkage also, maybe 1/2mm.

Also got the motor static timed, the wires ran into the holders and put into the proper firing order on the distributor. I am going to purchase a remote start button so I can fire it up weekly or monthly with a small gas can since I won't be driving it until I find a donor body for the project. Seeing as I have plenty of ground clearance, I am now considering picking up a CB Performance Thin Line Oil Sump 1 1/2 Quarts to install on my rebuilt motor so I have more oil capacity and cooling. I really don't think it will hang below the exhaust anyways. May even act as a sort of skid plate too, JK.

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/1770.htm

Overall, a decent easy late night job while the family was out. Then I decided to tackle my EMPI trigger shifter...... well, regardless of when I have that shifter or the stock one on, I can't get the car to roll in any gears at all except 1st. I don't know if I am just having a brain fart or something is up with my rebuilt transmission? I know it should be good to go, I have zero miles on it since rebuilt. It's a Super Street Freeway Flyer with the super-diffs. I really am at a loss for what to do, until I can call the rebuilder on Monday and pick his brain, but I am open for any suggestions. Only thing I could think of it's the compression on the motor holding it back?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 28

Jump to: