Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Last week I was looking for something to spend GW bucks on during their 15% off sale and came across a Bluetooth propane tank gauge. It arrived this week and I tried it out today.

Sand the rust off of the tank..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Epoxy toothpicks to the sensor so it sits squarely on the bottom of the tank...

Spray paint the tank, attach the sensor to the tank (the sensor has magnets that stick to the tank)...

Download the app to a phone and set it for a tank depth of 4.25” which is about the depth of the liquid propane in a full Westy 3.3 gallon tank (up to the overflow bleed valve which is about 2.6 gallons).

I’m looking forward to seeing how it tracks the propane level. GW recommends taking the sensor off of the tank in between measurements. I was going to try some more secure attachment system but decided to keep the sensor inside the van when not measuring the propane.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/lp-tank/25189/-bluetooth-propane-tank-level-sensor

It’s also available on amazon for a few bucks less.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

My parents picked a package of these up at their local RV dealer months ago (before GW began selling them) and gave me the second sensor (the first is in their van along with the non-app digital display). Works well. 👍

Digging out that image reminds me that I need to get my tank filled before the upcoming trip!

Edit: Since this post, I've changed the tank parameter to a horizontal diameter measurement of 6" (calculated via tank circumference) . The above image showing 30% was an incorrect reading and resulted in my tank being overfilled because I went and had the tank filled thinking it was low.🤦‍♀️

Edit 2: The instructions state to mount the sensor perpendicular to the tank (and centered on the bottom), not parallel, to get an accurate reading.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:02 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestleyTheWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Just grabbed one of these from Amazon, nice to see a few tips for using it! Yeah, really no reason to leave it installed 24/7, and the little bag is smart to keep it protected.

Will hopefully test it out this week!
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Edit 2: The instructions state to mount the sensor perpendicular to the tank (and centered on the bottom), not parallel, to get an accurate reading.

Kamz is correct (again Very Happy ). I subsequently learned the same and the toothpicks I epoxied on are unneccesssry.

Now I leave the sender inside the van and put it on the tank only when I want to take a measurement.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Here are the instructions photos, about where to put the sensor :

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Something I've been wanting to determine how much propane the westy has but also how much propane I have left in my BBQ and smoker propane tanks.

My local ACE hardware has them in stock for $37.....and with a $5 off Ace rewards card that the wife got in the mail recently.

Craig
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

JimF909 and Kamz,
Is 6" the best horizontal tank height dimension to use? With 6" it says my tank is about half full which seems pretty accurate to me, but until I get it topped off, it's all a guess.

I then connected the transmitter to the bottom of one of my smoker 20 lb tanks which says 98% which if my memory is correct would be pretty close to accurate.

Just a bunch of more testing, etc will deem how accurate this setup is.

Craig
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Yeah - I got one too on the strength of the above comments. 34 bucks & free shipping from Amazon made it a reasonable bit of kit.

My tank is full so on Monday I will have it and see what it says using 6".
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
JimF909 and Kamz,
Is 6" the best horizontal tank height dimension to use? With 6" it says my tank is about half full which seems pretty accurate to me, but until I get it topped off, it's all a guess.

I then connected the transmitter to the bottom of one of my smoker 20 lb tanks which says 98% which if my memory is correct would be pretty close to accurate.

You'll want to measure your tank to be certain. My tank's circumference is 19-1/8", which yields a 6.1" height (diameter; divide circumference by pi). My dad used calipers to measure his tank and it came close to 7". You can't use decimals in the app, so you have to round the height off. I initially used 7" based on my parents' van, which caused too low of a level reading. It's currently reading 93%.

I just put the sensor on my BBQ tank. It reads 87%, which about matches the "hook, lift, and look" gauge.

My tank is having fill issues, so I'll be running it until empty, then having a pro look at it.

[Edit: Wrong! Decimals can be entered in the app!]
2016 Golf GTI S

Last edited by kamzcab86 on Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Just measured the OD and am also getting just a tad over 6". Not knowing if we should be talking OD vs ID, think I'll also stay at 6" for now. Pretty neat device. Think I'll be getting another one dedicated to my two 20# BBQ tanks.

Nice toy. Thank you jimf909 for doing this post.

Craig
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Caution: make sure you download the CORRECT APP.

I was confused when Kamz said she couldn’t enter decimals for the tank height (I could do that on the app I was using). I was further confused when Kamz’s screenshot showed a horizontal tank (I couldn’t select a horizontal tank on my app).

It turns out we had very similar apps (see screenshots above) but kamz’s app had a gear where mine had a pencil. I went back to the App Store and downloaded Mopeka TankCheck not “MY Tracker BBQ” that I had downloaded. They both looked and worked alike but the first app seems to work better with horizontal tanks (at least it displays a horizontal tank).

Abscate wrote:

kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Caution: make sure you download the CORRECT APP.

I went back to the App Store and downloaded Mopeka TankCheck not “MT Tracker BBQ” that I had downloaded. They both looked and worked alike but the first app seems to work better with horizontal tanks (at least it displays a horizontal tank).

MT Tracker BBQ doesn't even appear in the Play Store for me. If I bring it up via a link, it displays This item isn't available in your country. So, yes, you need the app that corresponds with the device, in this case Mopeka Tank Check.👍

MT Tracker BBQ and its (exact same) sensor are also made by Mopeka, but not sold in North America.
2016 Golf GTI S
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

^^^ This is interesting. The Help link in the MT Tracker BBQ app goes to an Australian website (below). Either GW has a stash of Australian product and I followed the directions in the package correctly or I somehow managed to track down the Australian version of the app.

Edit: it looks like I just downloaded the Australian app. The product from GW shows the .com url. I'm glad it worked as well as it did !

https://www.boc.com.au/shop/en/au/mt-tracker-bbq

Thanks for setting me straight.

Abscate wrote:

Last edited by jimf909 on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

OK, I'll bite... what's the science behind this magic device?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
OK, I'll bite... what's the science behind this magic device?

The video says it’s ultrasonic science...

Link

Abscate wrote:

SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

My Westy's propane tank was filled by the previous owner and I don't have any idea if it's 90% full or almost empty. This device looks great!

I just ordered one of these too. I'll report back...

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

Mopeka's FAQs states that the battery in the sensor will typically last a year. Battery strength will be stronger in warm climate. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but might consider removing the battery when not using the sensor which I foresee myself using it 2-3 times a year or add an extra 2032 battery to my stash of batteries in the westy kitchen drawer?

Craig
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
Mopeka's FAQs states that the battery in the sensor will typically last a year. Battery strength will be stronger in warm climate. Not sure what I'm going to do yet but might consider removing the battery when not using the sensor which I foresee myself using it 2-3 times a year or add an extra 2032 battery to my stash of batteries in the westy kitchen drawer?

The battery that came in my sensor lasted about 6 months (parents' original battery is still going). But: 1) I don't count the wimpy battery supplied by the manufacturer. We'll see if the Energizer replacement lasts until December. 2) The signal frequency can be adjusted. I didn't realize this until Christmas when looking at my mom's phone. Mine was set to 3.5 seconds, while my parents' was set to 10.5 seconds. The instructions say to press and hold the sync button for 5 seconds to toggle the setting... not so; press and hold for 10 seconds. Hopefully, this yields a longer battery life.🤞
2016 Golf GTI S
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
...Not sure what I'm going to do yet but might consider removing the battery when not using the sensor which I foresee myself using it 2-3 times a year...

I expect that is what I will do (same as I do with the batteries for the in-fridge thermometer).

Thanks to all for the detailed instructions - those will save a lot of fiddling and frustration as I set it up.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Mopeka Bluetooth Propane Tank Gauge Reply with quote

SyncroHead wrote:
My Westy's propane tank was filled by the previous owner and I don't have any idea if it's 90% full or almost empty. This device looks great!

I just ordered one of these too. I'll report back...

Jim

There's always the method of pouring warm water on the tank to check the propane level (the tank will be cool or there will be condensation on the tank up to the level of the propane in the tank). I've found this to be a bit of a PITA on a rusty tank. Plus I'd usually pour water on myself. But it does work.

Abscate wrote:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: