Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What is in the back seat of a roadster?
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:32 am    Post subject: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

I have a 1961 Roadster.

What is the back seat area supposed to look like? I am going to try to put in carpets soon.

Are there seats? Bottom cushion? Backrests? Just carpet? Perhaps some optional configurations?

Pics are much appreciated, or just drop a comment!

Thank you!
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

this looks original, a 61 that was in the same family until recently - just carpet
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

of course the real answer to 'what is in the back seat...' would be an era correct young woman - such as senta berger Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

Great pics, thanks.

A couple of follow up questions/observations.

1) What is the material/finishing on the door lock pillar area inside the car? The vertical part that wraps all the way from one door lock around the inside back all the way to the other side? Is that carpet? Is it vinyl? Nobody ever takes pics of these boring areas. I assume that material (whatever it is) goes in first, then the luggage "seat" stuff goes in after.

2) On the sides of the dashboard... the part you cannot see unless you open the door all the way up... how is that finished? Does the dash material just wrap around and glue flat? I have never seen a picture of that area. Does it wrap like all the way around and then under or something? I have no clue how to do this part.

Observations: My car has had no top installed for probably 30 years... now that I see this car, I guess putting a cushion back there would not make a usuable seat except for a child for riding in a parade / around the block. The top cuts into what would be the back rest area a lot.

I really wish my dad had taken pictures before tearing it all apart. Smile

Thank you so much for the pics!
PurpleGoat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

I would like to add

My car is a driver, not a concourse-perfect car. If I can do something close to factory, great... but I am not going to obsess over it.

So don’t be afraid to share pics or ideas.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

here's where those pics came from - some pics might answer your question about the dash trimming and there's a couple more of the back seat area
https://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1961-porsche-356b-super-90-roadster-c-5773.htm
this site for new carpet shows the vinyl 'cheeks' (part 69?) and the carpet shapes (and cost!)
http://www.khupholstery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Porsche-356-Roadster-Tan-Interior-4.jpg

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Rainer1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have a 60 Roadster which has a back seat and a back rest. The back seat is mentioned in the B T5 factory accessories book ( see Charlie Whites site).
If the back rest was a factory option I don´t know, perhaps any other Roadster owner has information.
Rainer

bill brown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: What is in the back seat of a roadster? Reply with quote

. Here`s an original piece of 356B Roadster backseat luggage. It`s offered in the 356B accessories catalog. Rarest of all 356 luggage pieces.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: