Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Oh, yeah. Since I have my BA6 installed in the '73, I don't think the clock timer would match!

You have to get this then. Wink

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The heater will remain running. All the clock does is turn it on, no timer. So yeah, you better get out there before it runs the battery down and not have first world problems. Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
I feel like there must be some kind of module I could buy that I could send a text to from anywhere, that could then be used to turn the heater on. At least assuming the heater, somewhere in it's harness, has a simple "turn on" wire like my Espar does.

Anyone know what on earth I'm talking about?

Eberspächer has their "EasyStart Web" module that does what you're thinking, but it has a built-in SIM so it's probably Europe-only. It would work just as well with a BN4 as a modern Eberspächer heater with CAN integration .. Twisted Evil I'm sure Webasto has something similar.

The signal from the controller to the heater on the Chinese units is digital, no simple "on" wire to tap into. You might be able to hardwire a 4G WiFi hotspot on your Bus and use that as a gateway to one of Ray Jones' Afterburner controllers to get the job done, but I honestly haven't looked at it too hard .. I can't justify another line on our phone plan just to turn the heater off and on, as nifty as it would be. =D
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
notchboy wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
I feel like there must be some kind of module I could buy that I could send a text to from anywhere, that could then be used to turn the heater on. At least assuming the heater, somewhere in it's harness, has a simple "turn on" wire like my Espar does. I've even figured that I could probably attach such a device to the correct wire on my old BN4 or BA6 heaters and make them run, too.

But with all my googling abilities, the best I'm coming up with is pages on connecting smart phones to new car's interfaces and such.

Rolling Eyes Laughing You are cracking me up. You put that on a BN4 or a BA6 and Ill disown you. Evil or Very Mad Cool

I figure it would be super easy with the Espar D2 installed in the '78, since there is that simple on wire that can be tapped into. But it does seem possible to do with the older models, with a little wiring harness magic.

I thought about this yesterday as I walked out of my office building to turn the BA6 on in the '73 and walked back in to let it warm up.

I also thought it would be nice to install a leisure battery in the '73 just to let the heater run off it, so I wouldn't have to worry about running the starting battery down at all.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to text "start" or somesuch command to the unit, to have it start up the heater?

Turing on the heater with a text can be done. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0prN6gF64
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
notchboy wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:
I feel like there must be some kind of module I could buy that I could send a text to from anywhere, that could then be used to turn the heater on. At least assuming the heater, somewhere in it's harness, has a simple "turn on" wire like my Espar does. I've even figured that I could probably attach such a device to the correct wire on my old BN4 or BA6 heaters and make them run, too.

But with all my googling abilities, the best I'm coming up with is pages on connecting smart phones to new car's interfaces and such.

Rolling Eyes Laughing You are cracking me up. You put that on a BN4 or a BA6 and Ill disown you. Evil or Very Mad Cool

I figure it would be super easy with the Espar D2 installed in the '78, since there is that simple on wire that can be tapped into. But it does seem possible to do with the older models, with a little wiring harness magic.

I thought about this yesterday as I walked out of my office building to turn the BA6 on in the '73 and walked back in to let it warm up.

I also thought it would be nice to install a leisure battery in the '73 just to let the heater run off it, so I wouldn't have to worry about running the starting battery down at all.

But wouldn't it be nice to be able to text "start" or somesuch command to the unit, to have it start up the heater?

Turing on the heater with a text can be done. Check out this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t0prN6gF64

Awesome, that's what I was thinking of, thanks! We'll see if I ever get around to the project, but I like it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

OK, one detail at a time, as time permits...

Here's how I made a custom mounting bracket to hang the heater itself under the floor of the bus.

I used the mounting plate that came with it (flimsy and flat, shown at right) as a template. With a little spray paint I was able to stencil the pattern onto a much heaver piece of steel:

After much drilling and improvising a bending brake on my bench vise:

It fits!

So here's my custom bracket, a 1.25 inch thick plywood spacer and a piece of rubber to dampen vibration:

Installed:

And the heater hanging up:

That worked well. And that steel is at least 1mm thick. But I still wasn't comfortable with the fact that I could wiggle the whole thing around with my hand a bit. It would move around too much on a bumpy road. So I added a brace that goes around to the other side and bolts to the frame rail (I even used an existing factory hole there!) and now it's rock solid, 100%:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Dave, you are going to crash the internet if you internet enable a Bay Bus
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Dave, you are going to crash the internet if you internet enable a Bay Bus

This sounds like a challenge! Accepted.

The bigger challenge, though, will be convincing my wife that it is necessary to spend the money on such a project. I'll see what I can do.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

All added up, this has been slightly less than $300 or so. Just FYI.

Since someone just PM'd me this question, I'll just copy my answer here:

Q:
Saw your heater install. Does it work when it’s mounted with the combustion inlet and exhaust mounted sideways? I keep reading it should be upright. I like your setup. Warm regards.

A:
Out of the four different ways you could position UP, two of them are "allowed" - you just have to make sure the glow plug is at the top. And since the glow plus is actually at one of the corners, that gives you two options. Make sense? Pop off the plastic cowling and you'll see it in there and it will be clear.

And it's not really about the glow plug, that's just the easiest way to know which way is supposed to be up. It's actually about a small hole in the top of the combustion chamber. If that's in the wrong position, the whole thing will leak diesel oil out the bottom.

So yeah - mine is on its side and it works great. Many people do it this way... so long as you keep the glow plug at the top!

Last edited by Daverham on Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'd also like to note that this heater has been working wonderfully for me for about a week now. And it's awesome. It came with a little key fob remote. I can fire up my heater from inside the house and go out to a toasty warm bus.

My wife's 2017 Kia Sorento doesn't even have that feature and guess who's jealous of who now that it's 37˚F in the mornings!! Suddenly that "old van" is looking pretty cozy.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I personally love the embrace these types of heaters have received this last year. Cheap, reliable heat in your lunchbox? Who would have thought? Rolling Eyes Laughing

I hope you all stay warm and happy travels this fine Turkey Day Celebration!!

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

FINALLY! Laughing
The new Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater is installed and working great.
Since it's in the 70s here, it's difficult to test its full potential, but it pumps out a bunch of heat fairly quietly. I'm pleased with it. Dancing

To make space for it, and to replace a deteriorating cabinet, I designed and built this...

The little black vent at the bottom is the air inlet for the heater, with another vent on the opposite side for the heat. The vent swivels similar to the ones on the dash, so it can be aimed toward the cab or the bed.

The unit itself...

...is securely mounted to the floor with the fuel line and air inlet/outlet tubes routed thru the floor.

Now it's time to get out and find someplace cool to camp!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Come on up to NH - we have plenty of cool weather here!

Looks really cool. I'm going to have to look into these after I install the aux battery.
tjrm63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I chose the portable chinese heater for my application
Installed it behind the jumpseat, I also chose the one with the 4 vents so I could put heat up front in the cab as well as the back. I used 4 traps from a sink as my heater vents that are curved 90 degrees and fit inside the hole perfecly and I can rotate them to add or lessen the heat

I also added positive and negative wires with clamps from my battery to inside the jumpseat so I can use the heater while driving. I also have a spare battery that is used for the heater when camping. It works very well

blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I added the diesel heater to my watch list awhile back, today I noticed that it's dropped to $160. That was enough to push me over the edge and order it.

https://www.amazon.com/Tseipoaoi-Thermostat-Silencer-Campervans-Motorhomes/dp/B07VT24CLK
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

This is a heads-up regarding a potential problem with the CCDPH's...

I have my heater installed inside the cabin, connected through a switch and fuse to an auxiliary battery. The last time I used the heater, it started putting out a burning plastic smell, so I shut it down but failed to turn off the switch after cool down. But I did unplug the digital control pad from the heater.

Since the heater isn't needed in Florida this time of year, I planned on investigating the burning smell in the fall.

But the potential problem I am referring to isn't the burning plastic smell, believe it or not. The problem I discovered is the fan on the heater.

Here is what happened:
I was working on some electrical components, so I disconnected the auxiliary battery. When I was done, I closed up the cab, and reconnected the battery. And the next day I opened the cab to find the CCDPH fan was running! The heat wasn't on, just the fan was running. I'm just glad I checked it that next day or it would have kept running and draining the battery. I'm surprised the fan would run with the control unit disconnected, but it did.

I've learned my lesson... I will take extra precautions in the future to make sure I turn off the heater switch after it has completely cooled down.

(BTW... If the electricity to the heater is turned off before it is allowed to fully cool down, the heat inside will fry the electronics in there. So I don't turn off the switch until it has completed the cool down cycle and has turned itself off.)

As for the burning smell, it started immediately after I added an extension pipe to the muffler. Due to the position of the heater inside my van/bus, the exhaust came out under the chassis about 18" away from the slider. I wanted the exhaust to be farther away from the door. Not sure how I am going to address it, but that's a problem to check out in the fall.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2020 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'm in the middle of installing one in my deluxe

ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:
I'm in the middle of installing one in my deluxe

I'm liking that plan
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Me too.. I'm liking this......
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Duct modified and hard welded

John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2020 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Jeremy do you think it will fit in the toolbox area?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 12

Jump to: