Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Are you all adding an extra battery?
'65 Honda Dream
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I didn't add a second battery *just* for the heater but I do have a second (110 amp-hour deep cycle) battery in my camper, along with a split-charging system from the alternator and a 100W solar panel. But beyond the heater for load, I've also got a small fridge, LED lights, roof vent w/fan and a small inverter.

Still, it's best to have an extra battery to run the heater from if you install one of these, even if it's just one of the little 35 amp-hour AGMs that Harbor Freight sells in their "solar" department. That way you don't have to worry about killing the start battery and getting stranded...
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I hate to burst anybody's bubbles but those heaters are to be mounted inside the vehicle and reculater the air inside and not designed for external use (mounting) I have installed 5 of them On my work trucks. the two big pipes coming off the bottom are the intake and exhaust for the burner and the fuel inlet the little one. and yes the exhaust gets very hot and needs to be vented out and away from the vehicle not by any open windows, also the air coming from the heater at startup is very hot intell the temp in the cab stabilizes.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
madscientist
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

22manybugs wrote:
^^^^^ I like that idea. Isn’t it noisy? Is that why it’s in the thick wood box to keep it quiet?

Could you stack the pieces more vertically so the box would be higher and thinner?

I built the box really thick so I could use it as a seat when camping. Yup box could be thinner. I just went that thick so my rear end would fit.
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I just finished a sort of mock up or proof of concept install. This thing cranks out some heat! I plan on adding a shelf for the tank to sit on and do some hose and cable management. I gave up on my other install ideas because this just seemed simpler and it is. I will roll with the spare tire door open for awhile to make sure I like this as I am super gun shy to cut a big hole in the front for the outlet. I did run it off of an aux battery, but I have yet to install the relay to charge it. I may get to that tomorrow. Right now I'm just super stoked that I made this project happen before winter!
'65 Honda Dream
halfassleatherworks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

first off, putting the fuel source above the hot heater and inside the the cabin like that is totally stupid. please let us know when you plan on driving your portable gas bomb.

Belts, wallets, mouse pads, drink coasters, Engraving, most things made in leather.

personal items if you want it in leather in Reno Nv, *****
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

1) Diesel doesn't go "boom" the way gasoline does

2) The heater casing doesn't get hot enough to be a problem, shelf or no shelf.

That said, I'd look at putting the fuel tank behind the driver's seat for ease of filling. Also, if your heater came with the white rigid plastic fuel line, use it between the pump and heater with small pieces of rubber hose as couplings at the ends. Proper heater operation depends on fuel coming in as more of a "squirt", flexible hose makes it come out more as a "trickle" .. or like the bubbler drinking fountains downtown. If you didn't get any of that plastic line or threw it out, I think I've still got some in the garage you could have. Near 82nd & Johnson Creek Blvd, just off I-205
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

It's a bit pricey, but it'd sure be slick if you went with an actual diesel fuel container.(they're yellow). There'd never be any confusion at the pump (by nosey people), and it would match your Bus.

By the way, in Oregon, where you're not allowed to pump your own fuel, were they okay with putting diesel in a gas can? Just curious.

And by the way, again, you can get them a bit cheaper than at GoWesty, but here's the RotopaX...
https://www.gowesty.com/product/fuel-water-storage/23522/rotopax-2-gallon-diesel-pack-yellow-
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

That's a good idea behind the seat. I could then put a shelf in and regain some storage. I do have the plastic line and I will make the change. I'll take my chances with the "bomb" directly under my ass.

As far as the can is concerned, I've been debating that for awhile. I think I would like a 1 gallon metal marine tank (if that exists). I just wanted to get it done today. ( I have a hard time finishing projects). I'm not using diesel, I'm using kerosene. So I am filling it myself anyway.
'65 Honda Dream
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
That's a good idea behind the seat. I could then put a shelf in and regain some storage. I do have the plastic line and I will make the change. I'll take my chances with the "bomb" directly under my ass.

As far as the can is concerned, I've been debating that for awhile. I think I would like a 1 gallon metal marine tank (if that exists). I just wanted to get it done today. ( I have a hard time finishing projects). I'm not using diesel, I'm using kerosene. So I am filling it myself anyway.

Ahhh, I didn't catch that.
btripp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Loving this thread, and thanks for all the contributions from everyone. I looked at locations similar to some of the installs show (using the existing duct work) but wasn't happy with the ground clearance or waterproofing solutions I could come up with. So this comment is more for folks who are/have installing the heater inside the vehicle for a through-the-floor type of installation:

I recently purchased a 5k but have yet to install it. I'm looking at a location under the long bench seat in my 75, the side opposite the door, reasoning being that I can't reach that side from outside the bus and never put much there. I have mocked up to drill two large round holes (for the exhaust and fresh air), and a smaller one for the fuel, through the wood of the seat and through the metal of the floor. I would then screw the heater mounting plate into the wood that forms the floor of the under bench compartment. Cabin heat would be directed out through the vent under the bench.

I'm curious what thoughts you guys might have as it relates to cutting a few round holes vs. cutting a large square out of the floor as some have done. Obviously there needs to be clearance and heat proofing around the exhaust pipe, but I like the idea of a few small holes instead of a very large one.

Thanks in advance.

-Benjamin
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'm loving all the input and ideas. Thanks, everyone!

My thoughts and priorities with regard to my personal installation:

• I was just about 95% ready to put the whole thing in the engine compartment and duct the warm in next to the fuel tank, just like the BN-4s do, but the comment about noise when sleeping really has be thinking twice about that. That's right under the bed and I put my head at that end because I need my feet to hang off the other end. I can't sleep the other way around.

• I don't want to remove or replace my factory heat tube - my factory heat and defrosters work fairly well. I'm not about to remove a system that's working. I just want camping heat.

• The best place, where there's space looks to me to be under the floor, slightly forward of the middle of the cargo floor. I think that by just flexing the main factory heat pipe over the side a bit, I can get a few more inches of space and that would enough. We shall see...

• As for diesel "gas bombs" etc - under normal operation, having the fuel tank inside wouldn't bother me, but I'm still not going to do that just because, god-forbid, in an collision, it could very well break loose and spill and diesel-soaked carpet would indeed be quite flammable, especially if you're stuck inside trying to jimmy your seatbelt or a crunched door, or dazed from the crash, etc. The last thing you need, in that scenario, is diesel oil all over the place. Call me paranoid, but I'm going to have my kid in there and I'll just play it safe.

It was a very busy weekend, but I intend to try a couple more ideas and pick something asap. That camp trip is coming up!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

btripp wrote:
Loving this thread, and thanks for all the contributions from everyone. I looked at locations similar to some of the installs show (using the existing duct work) but wasn't happy with the ground clearance or waterproofing solutions I could come up with. So this comment is more for folks who are/have installing the heater inside the vehicle for a through-the-floor type of installation:

I recently purchased a 5k but have yet to install it. I'm looking at a location under the long bench seat in my 75, the side opposite the door, reasoning being that I can't reach that side from outside the bus and never put much there. I have mocked up to drill two large round holes (for the exhaust and fresh air), and a smaller one for the fuel, through the wood of the seat and through the metal of the floor. I would then screw the heater mounting plate into the wood that forms the floor of the under bench compartment. Cabin heat would be directed out through the vent under the bench.

I'm curious what thoughts you guys might have as it relates to cutting a few round holes vs. cutting a large square out of the floor as some have done. Obviously there needs to be clearance and heat proofing around the exhaust pipe, but I like the idea of a few small holes instead of a very large one.

Thanks in advance.

-Benjamin

If you don't want to make a large hole in the cabinet+floor for a turret plate, you should cut back the wood of the cabinet base so the heater can sit flush on the metal floor. You want the exhaust pipe connection separated from the interior space so that a small exhaust leak at that connection doesn't put carbon monoxide in the interior. This is also why the end of the exhaust pipe needs to extend beyond the edge of the vehicle and not just dump under the floor no matter how "stealth" you want it to be.

Mine is a 5KW heater. I put it on the driver's side of my '75, though it's just ahead of the Westy seat in a separate cabinet/box -- which also houses my aux battery, inverter, solar charge controller and shore power breaker/outlet panel -- instead of under the seat like you're thinking. There's just enough room for the air inlet to get good flow, so it's snug .. but it fits. The interior was gutted when I bought the Bus; I built a custom cabinet with the '76-'79 footprint, and the the heater cabinet/box fits between that cabinet and the bed. Even with it mounted inside the Bus I still hit both sides of the board with conformal coating to protect against moisture Just In Case.

Pics for reference in case it would help anyone.
Turret plate:

End of the exhaust -- looks like it sticks out a lot farther than it really does, and yes I know I have rust bubbles under the paint:

Connections under the floor + fuel pump:

Heater is inside the cabinet, green cap is the fuel tank in otherwise wasted space behind my icebox. Easy enough to fill with a funnel:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

You don't want any diesel container in a 'livable space' especially if it has any fittings or the like. You may not be sensitive to the smell, but a large percentage of the population is, and once the smell gets in......
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I know about the diesel smell. I use kerosene...
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'm all for keeping the fuel tank OUTSIDE the cabin. 100%

But I'm considering putting the heater unit inside, among a couple other location finalists. So here's my question:

Has there ever been a single case of one of these things catching on fire? Is that a risk at all?

Next I'll have to deal with the noise issue, which may just bring me full-circle to the engine bay location idea. But for now, more importantly: Has there ever been a safety issue with having the unit inside? Ever? Even one case of the unit itself catching fire? Melting down? Leaking fuel?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

But I'm considering putting the heater unit inside, among a couple other location finalists. So here's my question:

Has there ever been a single case of one of these things catching on fire? Is that a risk at all?

Next I'll have to deal with the noise issue, which may just bring me full-circle to the engine bay location idea. But for now, more importantly: Has there ever been a safety issue with having the unit inside? Ever? Even one case of the unit itself catching fire? Melting down? Leaking fuel?

If the Chinese unit has half the safety features of a real one it's still safer than the furnace in your house. But I can't vouch for sub standard materials and assembly methods, that may be the reason why it's so cheaply priced, this is new territory. If it'll help you sleep line the cabinet it lives in with metal or foil to buy an extra minute of escape time, or put a blazecut tube in there with it. You can also mount it on rubber or foam mounts to isolate some of the noise. Much of the fan noise from the BN-2 I put under the back seat of my deluxe was reduced by adding a few elbows to the inlet and outlet, putting some of that eggcrate textured foam rubber in the corners (like the 72-74 bus BN-4 duct) also made a huge difference. It went from jet engine to vacuum cleaner down the hall.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

anything can leak fuel
anything can short an electrical wire and possibly melt the wire(s)

but as for catching fire. these are like Mc DLTs the hot (combustion) side is very much separate from the cold (interior) side
they spritz so little fuel per pulse in the combustion side and diesel is very finicky.
you have a much greater chance of it doing nothing at all. than actually working.

and you have MUCH MUCH MUCH greater chance of the VW burning it'self down unrelated to the CCH
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:

For all the time I've been into these gas heater, I've never heard of a VW burning down, past or present from a gas heater. I've read where people say they know a guy..... Rolling Eyes I'm not saying it hasn't happened. I've searched briefly and found the vids below that are interesting and pertain to this thread. But no smoking gun yet.

Link

I like this guy! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Link

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

flammable ratio of gas to diesel

Link
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 12

Jump to: