Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Y'all almost had me convinced to put it inside. I suppose I'm not really worried about the heater unit itself burning up at this point. But the noise of the fan is of great concern when sleeping. I have the perfect place to put it.... but there would be essentially no ducting on either side and I'm not into "jet engine" at all. I’m highly annoyed by such things - the sound of my fridge running (in my house) sometimes bugs me from the next room. So I need this to be as silent as possible, within reason.

I'm still a bit tempted to go with the factory(?)-designated Eberspacher engine compartment location, but that would essentially be right under my pillow. So again with the noise. Although that would be on the other side of the rear floor + insulation so maybe it's not quite so bad as unmitigated fan noise. This is my #2 at this point.

And I was also highly tempted to pop it right into the main duct line in place of the entire factory heat system, but my factory heater/defrosters actually work, so I would just hate to scrap that because I wasn’t willing to try a little harder.

So I have one last "other" idea before I commit: I cut the zip-ties that hold up the central heat duct and it was easy to push it over to the side a bit - and then re-attach it with a bit of a bend in it. Side note: my bus currently has a 3.5 inch accordion duct running up the middle between the cross-braces. I don’t know if that’s factory or if it should be a solid pipe. For all I know, I installed that duct myself 10 years ago. I have no idea. Regardless, with that out of the way there are a lot more options under the floor and I think I have a good place staked out a bit forward of center. By re-designing my mounting bracket, I can pull almost 3 inches off the ground clearance issue. It will involve a little more welding and drilling at my work bench, but I think it will be worth it.

I’ll likely be adding another $20 worth of steel to the cost tally tomorrow, for my new mounting bracket. Probably a hole saw too and eventually some ducting and clamps.

Oh, and to answer one question from a page or so back: I have just added an auxiliary battery. Partly for this and partly for house lights and accessory plugs (mostly phone chargers).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

That plastic/paper duct is factory on later Bays. My '73 had a metal duct (before I swapped in the BA6); my '78 had a plastic/paper duct. So sometime in between there.

I don't know if I mentioned this idea in this thread or another, but you could get a Y and some kind of flap, and have the heater pipe go into the heater duct.

A much simpler option would be to extend the factory heating tube(s) straight from the rear Y where the heater box lines join together to your paper duct, all the way up to the front "heater tree." Bypass and eliminate the flapper box that directs heat to the rear vents.

Now, duct your parking heater with a Y to go into the rear seat heat outlet and the outlet between the front seats.

Doing all that, you'd eliminate potential flow losses to the front of the Bus/defrost, and be providing a heater for the back that can also be used for camping. That seems like a double good to me!

This would essentially be how I installed my Espar, I just hadn't until now thought about how to do it while still using a factory heating system. (Since I'm watercooled in that Bus.)

Also, you would end up with some bends which should help the noise issue. Indeed the noise is pretty low in my Bus with the heater running. Neither my wife or I find it at all disruptive, nor have buddies who've camped with me.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

The few times I've run it while sleeping, the noise hasn't been a problem for me .. but I'm one of those weirdos who can sleep soundly on an airplane, even in economy-class seating. Drives my wife nuts; I'll be all refreshed and ready to go after a transatlantic flight, all she wants to do is go to the hotel and sleep for a day or two. Laughing

It is on the loud side at full blast, though.

My (early-ish) '75 was metal duct, my buddy's '77 is paper, so the cutoff is somewhere in between. '76 would be logical, but...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

You are going to hear it no matter where you put it. Yeah maybe less some places, but it will be there. Wink Laughing Any sound resonates through the frame, the wall, the floor.

It will be interesting to see what you come up with to combat this.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

OG Velvet wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I've been considering this exact set up for my late westy. The only problem I'm worried about is from my experience with these heaters they need unrestricted air for the fan to blow. It will throw a code and shut down if it doesn't get it.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

they really don't stay on full blast for very long.
they idle down to a maintain low speed and only ramp up if it can't maintain temp at a lower fan velocity.

so unless you do sub zero winter camping with the top popped, it's not going to be on high very much at all.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Tristessa, I cannot sleep on a plane AT ALL, no matter how tired I am, even at 3am. But it's the sitting up more than the noise. Regardless, I'll be mounting every point of contact possible via rubber - as thick as possible. And I think the external (under-floor) mount for the whole unit is going to work. After that, I'll just be sure to have an extra glass of whiskey before bed and I'll be fine.

I just got back from the hardware store.

Time to update the cost tally:
• The unit $199
• Two steel bars from the local hardware store for mounting it under the floor $16 (no longer being used)
• New fuel tank $15
• Crooked funnel for filling that fuel tank $8
• New steel plate for mounting bracket $12
• 1.25 inch hole saw in case mine is dull $10
• New 3.5 inch hose clamps (one broke while messing with the big duct) $6
• A gallon of Kerosene for setup, testing & camping $10

>>> TOTAL SO FAR: $277
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Daverham wrote:
Tristessa, I cannot sleep on a plane AT ALL, no matter how tired I am, even at 3am. But it's the sitting up more than the noise. Regardless, I'll be mounting every point of contact possible via rubber - as thick as possible. And I think the external (under-floor) mount for the whole unit is going to work. After that, I'll just be sure to have an extra glass of whiskey before bed and I'll be fine.

I just got back from the hardware store.

Time to update the cost tally:
• The unit $199
• Two steel bars from the local hardware store for mounting it under the floor $16 (no longer being used)
• New fuel tank $15
• Crooked funnel for filling that fuel tank $8
• New steel plate for mounting bracket $12
• 1.25 inch hole saw in case mine is dull $10
• New 3.5 inch hose clamps (one broke while messing with the big duct) $6
• A gallon of Kerosene for setup, testing & camping $10

>>> TOTAL SO FAR: $277

Like the original plan? Or back more?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I transferred the hole pattern to my new piece of steel with spray paint, using the old one as a template:

And drilled it up. It fits! Next it needs to be drilled for mounting to the bus and a 90-degree bend put in there. I don't have a brake, but I'll figure something out.

But first I have to go pick up my kid from pre-school... and I suppose I should do some work at some point today to, although this is way more fun.
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'm moving it a bit more forward, tucked up higher (closer to the floor) and inboard, in between the two main frame rails. You shall see soon!
OG Velvet
Samba Family Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

As hot as this thing blows, you're not going to want or need it while sleeping. I plan on running it to take the edge off, then crawling into bed. But I run pretty hot.
'65 Honda Dream
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Fired up my heater for the first time in 6 months. No problems. Same fuel too.

My fuel pump has that rubber collar which includes a mounting hole. Well, I mounted the pump below the fuel tank on the bulkhead behind the driver's seat.

The pump's operational duty cycle gets transmitted to the body and is quite loud.

This guy has the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuF1TeQ_hc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

check out this thread if you have not already:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

obieoberstar wrote:
Fired up my heater for the first time in 6 months. No problems. Same fuel too.

My fuel pump has that rubber collar which includes a mounting hole. Well, I mounted the pump below the fuel tank on the bulkhead behind the driver's seat.

The pump's operational duty cycle gets transmitted to the body and is quite loud.

This guy has the solution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypuF1TeQ_hc

What language was that in? Laughing that was a great tip and worth watching. Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Daverham
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

It has been mentioned a couple times - and it's easily lost among the photos and such - but I'd just like to highlight that the Facebook user groups are VERY active and full of people with tons of experience and technical knowledge. You can get answers to anything right away:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/146837062640024

I finally got my unit installed to my satisfaction (under the floor) and now I'm working on ducting. I'll report back with thoughts, comments, things I've learned and photos...
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I have a 5kw installed under the rear seat / rock & roll bed. It's a '66 Westy but I've never used it for camping. Some day maybe. Anyway I wanted to say I'm sure I've read the chinese heaters are not intended for the outside of the vehicle because the wiring isn't waterproofed so you may want to address that. Also wanted to include I had my bus out this morning 23* fahrenheit. and the heater worked beautifully. Like I said I only run the heater while it's moving and bus has lots of drafts so this 5kw really does the job. I have to unplug the heater while in storage, even overnight since the LED controllers backlight stays on and drains the battery. Otherwise pretty happy with it. When I 1st installed it I was getting an error code#5 (overheating) It turned out I didn't leave enough open space on the cabin intake air side. So I have to leave the closet door open that sits in front of heater.No big deal. Haven't had a code since. I also bought a 2kw one I was going to install in my Bug. You can't beat the price. One last thing (I know long winded) if anyone here is looking for a 2kw( at least that is what is advertised ) here is a link to one with a good price.

Caveat emptor, A lot of merchants are advertising 2kw heaters when they are actually 5kw. The one in the photo below looks as a 2kw.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-Air-Diesel-Heater-PLA...3579490257
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Here's a few photos of my heater. The last photo I'm opening the window because it's getting too warm ....

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

^^funny, I pictured you older for some reason. Laughing
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Cats out of the bag, really my grandson who will probably end up being a "VW for life" as well.
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

thomas., how and where are you ducting the heat to the bus?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 4 of 12

Jump to: