Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

jeremyrockjock wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Jeremy, I am curious how much room you have between the sheet metal and the inlet? I have read some folks have had a problem when that air flow is restricted. I love your set up!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

tjrm63 wrote:
I chose the portable chinese heater for my application
Installed it behind the jumpseat, I also chose the one with the 4 vents so I could put heat up front in the cab as well as the back. I used 4 traps from a sink as my heater vents that are curved 90 degrees and fit inside the hole perfecly and I can rotate them to add or lessen the heat

I'm very interested in these all-in-one types. Does anyone know why this model-type could not be strapped into the area in the engine bay where an aux battery would usually sit? It seems it would be an easy install and relatively simple to route the exhaust down to under the bus. Heat issues?

We use our bus for dog shows and it gets pretty cold waiting in the parking lot for our runs (covid rules). So we're not too bothered about noise when sleeping etc. Also, how long does a "full tank" run on these things?

Thanks
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I missed the original post of that portable heater install before.

But I'd advise looking up what the material on the sink parts is made of, what that material does at high temps, and checking the temps that the heater is putting out.

I say that because I've seen comments that PVC pipe, when heated, will release toxic gasses.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
But I'd advise looking up what the material on the sink parts is made of, what that material does at high temps, and checking the temps that the heater is putting out.

I say that because I've seen comments that PVC pipe, when heated, will release toxic gasses.

OP should see if there's a brass or chrome/brass version that fits the same as what he's using, or an ABS DVW fitting. All the slip-fit plastic sink traps I've seen on the market in the last ten years are PVC or polypropylene, even if they're colored black. Source: I reorder inventory to keep the plumbing section of a smaller hardware store stocked every week.

Last edited by tristessa on Fri Jan 01, 2021 6:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

honestly those fuckers get so hot at the outlet i'd look into aluminum pre heat pipes.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I put a small unit (2.2kw) under the driver's seat in my '70.
I think that I could fit the larger 5.5 kw in there with a raised thimble to avoid the floor contours.[img]

[/img]
72 Baja
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Dayum. That is going to cook you out real quick Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Notch, I haven't used it for camping yet, but running it while driving around was just ok at freezing temperatures.
I suspect that the 5.5 might be the better choice, I don't end up camping in real cold temps because Wisconsin roads get salted before the first sight of snow and this should be good enough for now.
72 Baja
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Notch, I haven't used it for camping yet, but running it while driving around was just ok at freezing temperatures.
I suspect that the 5.5 might be the better choice, I don't end up camping in real cold temps because Wisconsin roads get salted before the first sight of snow and this should be good enough for now.

Ours is a "tintop" and our temps rarely are below 40 degrees while at events (when we need the heat). I'm thinking the 2kw is more than enough to get us into the mid 60s.

I like the under the seat idea. Where is the fuel tank? Thanks.
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
honestly those fuckers get so hot at the outlet i'd look into aluminum pre heat pipes.

Yeah, come to mention it, I get a whiff of hot plastic from the 2.2 kw.
I suspect from the vent nozzle supplied with it. I'll be on the lookout for something else.
72 Baja
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Wagohn, it sounds like you would be fine with the smaller unit.

I currently have the 16"x16"x4" tank mocked up on the back of the passenger seat bulkhead.
I plan to enclose it with a Westy style spice rack/folding table, assuming I like that location.
72 Baja
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Wagohn, it sounds like you would be fine with the smaller unit.

I currently have the 16"x16"x4" tank mocked up on the back of the passenger seat bulkhead.
I plan to enclose it with a Westy style spice rack/folding table, assuming I like that location.

Thanks - I assume the cap is vented, no diesel smells, etc, when driving?
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Yes, vented and no smells, I do worry about spills during fill ups tho.
I thought about making it to slide out to fill, probably I won't.
72 Baja
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
Yes, vented and no smells, I do worry about spills during fill ups tho.
I thought about making it to slide out to fill, probably I won't.

Thanks so much.
jeremyrockjock
Samba Towbar Builder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

John Ghia wrote:
Jeremy do you think it will fit in the toolbox area?

I tried that but the problem is the axle beam is directly below it.

Okie Adam wrote:
jeremyrockjock wrote:

Jeremy, I am curious how much room you have between the sheet metal and the inlet? I have read some folks have had a problem when that air flow is restricted. I love your set up!

I was a little worried too but it works very well. If I had to do it over I would give it more room. Once I cut the holes for the intake and exhaust I was committed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Regarding fuel tank locations;

I bought a 2 gallon diesel tank and have it bungeed in the aux battery area in my 71 Bay (the mirrored area from the starting battery location)

Download the Webasto manual; the fuel pump can pump quite a distance
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:

Stuck mine in the spare tire well. Keeps the bus toasty and complaints from the wife and kids are gone.

More pics of this install please.
(sold - but not forgotten)
RParker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I bought a Chinese 2kw unit and with a little modification, it fits perfectly beneath the seat on my ‘75 “Vincent”. I have the hot air blowing out of the vent it came with just into the cabin. I’m nervous to send it up to the dash through the bus’s ducting because the air temp is so hot it may melt the plastic tubes. I’m wondering about getting the hot air into the metal mixing box where the ambulance fans could blow it on the windscreen.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

RParker wrote:
I bought a Chinese 2kw unit and with a little modification, it fits perfectly beneath the seat on my ‘75 “Vincent”.

Which seat were you able to fit it under?
What modifications were needed?
Can you post some pictures of your accomplishment?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Anyone found an all in one unit that runs on 110 ac voltage?
Could use for a 20x20 basement shop.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 7 of 12

Jump to: