Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

just use a 12v battery and a battery charger/maintainer/power supply.
no reason you can't install/use a 12v all in one heater in a fixed residential installation..

search Youtube some are installed in people's sheds..

my brother used to have a RV propane heater installed in the bathroom of his house as the power would on occasion go out while he was away. and the RV furnace ran off 12v with a charger.. would carry over a couple days if needed before the battery ran out..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RParker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Which seat were you able to fit it under?
What modifications were needed?
Can you post some pictures of your accomplishment?[/quote] Shocked

It’s under the passenger seat (left hand drive bus). I had to remove some metal to get the heater into the space between the week well and the walk-thru. Once in place, it fits well and the holes needed for the fuel line, air and exhaust have good clearance below (watch the brake hardline). It would be very easy to connect the output of the heater to the ducting under the bus that takes the heated air to the dash. I just worry about the temp of the air being too hot.

I’ll post pictures later.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Anyone found an all in one unit that runs on 110 ac voltage?
Could use for a 20x20 basement shop.

I'm thinking of doing the same in a 10x16 shop area. Solar panel to 12v batt, or maybe just some manner of 120ac -12v DC power supply. Don't know how much current is needed by the heater.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

KentABQ wrote:
This is a heads-up regarding a potential problem with the CCDPH's...

I have my heater installed inside the cabin, connected through a switch and fuse to an auxiliary battery. The last time I used the heater, it started putting out a burning plastic smell, so I shut it down but failed to turn off the switch after cool down. But I did unplug the digital control pad from the heater.

Since the heater isn't needed in Florida this time of year, I planned on investigating the burning smell in the fall.

But the potential problem I am referring to isn't the burning plastic smell, believe it or not. The problem I discovered is the fan on the heater.

Here is what happened:
I was working on some electrical components, so I disconnected the auxiliary battery. When I was done, I closed up the cab, and reconnected the battery. And the next day I opened the cab to find the CCDPH fan was running! The heat wasn't on, just the fan was running. I'm just glad I checked it that next day or it would have kept running and draining the battery. I'm surprised the fan would run with the control unit disconnected, but it did.

I've learned my lesson... I will take extra precautions in the future to make sure I turn off the heater switch after it has completely cooled down.

(BTW... If the electricity to the heater is turned off before it is allowed to fully cool down, the heat inside will fry the electronics in there. So I don't turn off the switch until it has completed the cool down cycle and has turned itself off.)

As for the burning smell, it started immediately after I added an extension pipe to the muffler. Due to the position of the heater inside my van/bus, the exhaust came out under the chassis about 18" away from the slider. I wanted the exhaust to be farther away from the door. Not sure how I am going to address it, but that's a problem to check out in the fall.

Follow up:

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
The air intake tube had an obstruction.
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

So the white smoke billowing out of the exhaust was caused by lack of intake air to properly combust the diesel.

It took me months to discover the cause...
And 30 seconds to fix it.
Rolling Eyes

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

awww come on man, you mean you didn't check the barrels when it wasn't working correctly? Embarassed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Should've checked! Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
some manner of 120ac -12v DC power supply. Don't know how much current is needed by the heater.

I'm using this 15A power supply to run the heater I mounted in my garage, along with a couple of 12V sockets so I don't have to take stuff out to the car for testing. No connection to the seller, just a happy customer with the specific PS I received from them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110-220V-to-DC-12V-15A...3141560082
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Last night was the first time I was able to use the heater for some high mountain camping. The low was forecast to be 23 F.

A freshly installed deep cycle house battery worked to keep the heater going all night on the lowest setting. Barely used any fuel. Kept the interior nice and warm.

Might use a small USB powered fan to circulate some of the air as it was a bit cooler near the rear hatch.

Did anyone mention the remote control? It will even work when there is a knit hat covering the way too bright display panel.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

its an RF remote control. it'll work from outside the van too.

sitting around the fire and remoting my heater on Idea
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

For those that have intake routed (properly) from the outside; how much quieter is it compared to if you did bench testing of the intake inside for example?
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

intake and exhaust plumbed to the outside.

cold air return is in the kitchen cabinet.

barely hear the blower. but the clicking of the pump (hanging from a soft spring) is just as loud as the ticking of the factory dash clock.

never bench tested for comparison
obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

thanks for the tip on the remote. did not know it had such a range.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

If anyone is interested, I've been talking with one of my suppliers and have procured 3\5\8kw heaters in both the stand-alone and installable versions, I have them listed in the classifieds. Use coupon code SAMBA to save 10%. Mods, delete this if not allowed. Thanks.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I installed a 5kW CDH in our ‘78 Dormobile camper over the winter and we have been away camping in it for the first time last weekend. I am so impressed, it is a real game changer for us. It was around freezing and it heats the bus really effectively. At warmer temperatures you would definitely have to open vents and/or windows but we had it on ‘low’ overnight with the pop-top up (increasing the space that needs to be heated) and it kept us comfortably warm the whole night, lovely!
It is installed in a cupboard under the sink, actually I ordered a 2kW but as often happens I got the larger 5kW, but it still just fits in there. The diesel fuel tank is in a hidden cupboard further rearwards but has quick disconnects so it can be removed for filling. The electrical power is from huge cabling with earth return from the leisure battery (100Ah, AGM) to avoid any voltage drop. I measured the current draw from the battery with the LED display attached, 85mA, and with the controller disconnected, 40mA, to give you an idea of the parasitic drain. You probably know it draws 10A for a couple of minutes on startup and shutdown and 1A on low power. I have no problem with running it overnight on the leisure battery, although that gets through a fair bit of diesel (125-250ml/hr).

I’ll do a few posts with pictures, but I would absolutely recommend reading around for a while before planning an install, and joining the CDH troubleshooting FaceBook page. It is very much a DIY process and the kit you are sent does need some suppplementation!

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

So, some detail of what you are sent when you order one. It does vary wildly by all accounts, but mine did have good quality fuel hose and clamps and the controller with a remote. I did change for the simpler rotary controller as it fits with the bus better, doesn’t disturb at night, and draws less power when the bus isn’t being used.
I also had a look inside the casing, but everything looked fine!
Test fitted it in the space.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Once you’re doubly, triply sure you have the installation spot correct, drill holes and install the base plate. I had no flooring in the cupboard, so I just sealed the plate with high temp RTV. The previous hole was for the sink plumbing which is now deleted. The wiring on my heater was quite a heavy gauge, but I upgraded with some huge 4core flex I had left over, which now powers the fridge and a 12v outlet, as well as an earth return. A lot of people have problems with a voltage drop when the glow plug takes its 10A, and the heater will fail to light.
The exhaust and air intake are under the bus, well separated. This is my first attempt at the exhaust, I ended up mounting it higher, with an extension piece of exhaust.
The outlet at floor level is the only thing you see inside the bus. There is another outlet under the bed/seat but it’s not visible.

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I fitted quick disconnects on the fuel tank, so it lifts out for filling, to avoid spills. Actually, I have tried running diesel and kerosene and I prefer the kerosene as it smells less (at the exhaust-there is no smell in the bus at all).
I initially had a priming bulb in the fuel line, but the pressure it generated just caused small leaks at some hose connections, so I removed it (and tightened the fittings).
The fuel pump was quite loud mounted to the wooden panel as shown, so I wrapped it in insulation and made an isolating mount. It’s about as loud as the clock now!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

The supplied LED controller is good, and the remote is cool, but the display was either too bright (at night) or too dim (when you’re trying to set it!). I ordered a rotary controller, which just swapped straight in. Less bright and takes less power when you’re not using the heater. I disassembled it to improve the heat shrinking. It would be easy to extend the wiring if needed.

That’s all I have for you right now, five stars, would recommend!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 3:16 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

The diesel tank is under the floor of a side cupboard, so I made a lifting shelf out of plywood for access. There’s enough room for the tank, spare paraffin, an emergency stove and a first aid kit.
I also made removable shelves for above the heater to allow storage, and wrapped the pump in more rubberised pipe lagging. To be honest, it’s not that noisy now, but I figured it would help a bit.

wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Can anyone see an issue with installing as shown? It seems I would only need to drill two small holes for the air and exhaust ports, and use the tire well drain hole for the fuel line. Then all I need is to create a flat cover with a vent incorporated. Thoughts?
I'd have to figure a way to make the mounting plate flush with the bottom of the tire well.
Thanks.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 12

Jump to: