Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

What are your plans for the hot exhaust pipe?
72 Baja
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

jakokombi wrote:
What are your plans for the hot exhaust pipe?

Out through the floor of the tire well and into the engine bay. Then out to under the bus, may need more exhaust pipe.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I can’t see anything wrong with it other than your ducting is going to have to make at least one hard 90* turn. Looking in my engine bay, the bottom if the spare well goes pretty deep, you might make it without having to extend the exhaust. Might want to wrap it to minimize extra heat in the engine bay.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
jakokombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Keep in mind that exhaust pipe can get red hot, not ideal for the engine compartment.
I used a ceramic wool insulation when I mounted mine under the driver's seat to keep the heat away from the brake line.
Maybe you could look into fibreglass wrap for headers or silicone products too.
72 Baja
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Thanks all. I thought about the front seat area but the engine compartment also provides a local area for the diesel tank. I dont really want the diesel tank inside the bus as I am a notorious spiller. In the engine bay, all stinks can gather together. Smile
Also, added heat wont be an issue because we will use the heater for camping only. I can live with a 20 min cold commute but not a 2-day camp.
Thanks.
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

download the webasto manual, as it is what the Chinese heater is based off of; for each hard turn in your heat output, you lose significant pushing power; less bends with minor angles = more pushing power
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Hmm... Having the exhaust connection inside the Bus makes me a little nervous for if there is a small leak.

They can be mounted sideways; perhaps you could turn it 90 degrees and have it mounted to the side of the spare tire well. Then the exhaust connection could be "outside" the interior of the Bus.

What are your plans for ducting the heat to wherever you want it?

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Hmm... Having the exhaust connection inside the Bus makes me a little nervous for if there is a small leak.

They can be mounted sideways; perhaps you could turn it 90 degrees and have it mounted to the side of the spare tire well. Then the exhaust connection could be "outside" the interior of the Bus.

Not a bad idea. That is an issue, the exhaust fume possibility. Also, it needs to be reasonable easy to remove if I need to de-soot or change the glow-plug, etc. Still ruminating. Smile
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Not a bad idea. That is an issue, the exhaust fume possibility. Also, it needs to be reasonable easy to remove if I need to de-soot or change the glow-plug, etc. Still ruminating. Smile

Took a longer look today and I'm not sure the wheel well is going to work. The mounting plate sits about 3/4" above the bottom of the well, because of the curvature of the space. At first I wasn't concerned about this because I was convinced the heaters exhaust fitting could be made leak proof so no need for the plate to sit flush. What I overlooked is that the bus engine will make its own fumes and so those are going to come up into the living area, through the non-flush fitting, when going down the road.
There doesn't seem to be a "no brainer" location for these things.
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Agreed. If you have a second battery, it's hard in the engine bay. If you want max storage, it is difficult in the interior. I'm looking at these hard myself. I first wanted to go with the "portable" one because it is all self-contained (and I can get it wholesale for not much more than the little one) except the exhaust and intake routing, then realized the way I designed my interior, it won't fit. I thought about the small one under the bed but then I lose too much space. I'm thinking about tucking one up underneath instead. Still not sure if that will work without sacrificing too much ground clearance.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I'm in the same boat with where to put it if I got one. I figure I'd use one about 6-7 times a winter when we go ski camping. I hate to lose any space for the rest of the year when I don't use it. So far I've just decided to bring a small Honda generator, couple gallons of extra gas and a 120v space heater when I need heat. Real easy to throw in and no issues unless you don't bring enough extra fuel.
But the heaters are still tempting.... Very Happy
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Here is my install of a diesel heater, i went for the 2 KW and i’m running it on kerosene.
I didn’t wanted any holes in the original laminate so i converted the magazine box behind the jump seat.
All this can be build back to original as i didn’t drill any holes other then the inlet in the side and the outlet in the bottom of the magazine box.
For the outlet i used the original fresh air vent and sockets from the dashboard to give it a bit of that OG look and feel.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The heater is located under the seat next to the battery.

The controller is behind the passenger seat.

The 5 liter tank behind the driver seat.

And the exhaust with cover when not in use.

This thing is absolutely amazing very quiet and puts out a awefull lot of heat at very low cost, mostly the lowest setting is enough and with the kerosene it burns very clean.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

1970fun - very nice clean looking install. One of the best ones Ive seen. Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scubasteve321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:
wagohn wrote:
vwwestyman wrote:

Took a longer look today and I'm not sure the wheel well is going to work. The mounting plate sits about 3/4" above the bottom of the well, because of the curvature of the space. At first I wasn't concerned about this because I was convinced the heaters exhaust fitting could be made leak proof so no need for the plate to sit flush. What I overlooked is that the bus engine will make its own fumes and so those are going to come up into the living area, through the non-flush fitting, when going down the road.

no brainer isn't entertaining though, is it?

The mounting plate is designed to mount flat, so, by necessity, your desired location will take some fabricating

Figure out how you need to attach it securely in the wheel well, and have your two exit holes through the wheel well; seal those up appropriately and wallah, no fumes coming in or out
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

the heaters can mount with the exhaust/intake mounted down or out the side.
the glowplug needs to be orientated up so make sure it's not upside down if you go with a side outlet mounting configuration
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

I know the "name brand" heaters can be mounted outside of the vehicle (and that's how I've mounted mine). It occurs to me that you could mount a cheap heater underneath and protect it with a splash shield. Could probably seal the case up with some silicone too. (I did that with mine for a while, though didn't bother redoing it when I had to open the case one time.) And you'd likely be a-ok. And they are cheap, so if it eventually gets wet, just replace it!

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

wagohn wrote:

Change of plans. I now want to put the heater in the closet that holds the spare tire. The following pic with gas tank is just a mock-up. I plan to install some type of shelf for the tank.

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
1970fun - very nice clean looking install. One of the best ones Ive seen. Cool

Thanks Wink
wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Finished up placing the heater in the spare tire location. The fuel tank is behind the driver's seat but may be relocated in the future. So far, it's working great. 😊

wagohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing a Cheap Chinese Diesel Parking Heater Reply with quote

Just to wrap our install up, we vented to behind the driver's seat and used an old VW vent as it's directional. Also added a smaller tank that draws from the top of the tank, so as to remove the likelihood of a leak.
Will report back if things melt. Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 12

Jump to: