Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Center Headliner Question
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:08 pm    Post subject: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

I am interested in just doing the center section of my 70 headliner. I am wondering if just the center of a multipart headliner would work such as the TMI:

https://www.tmiproducts.com/volkswagen/vw-bug-inte...edan.html/

From what I can tell it looks like the last piece you do is the center and it just tucks into the lip all the way around. If this was the case I think it could replicate the same as a 1200A "Sparkafer" headliner as pictured below!

Should I consider a Pre-68 so it doesn't go all the way down to the windshield?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

I'm just in the process of doing the same. To me it looks quite clean. There's a bit of discussion in the https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624393&highlight=headliner
My plan is to wrap 5 strips of 15mm foam with headliner material. Starting at the front and working to the back I'll use Velcro strips to retain the curvature on the leading edge. Friction fit on the sides. I have wiring / tubing in the arches running from front to back so can't use the bow rods.
Just a thought
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Here is the reply from Sewfine after I asked about sending in my measurements:

It is risky to do by measurements of the opening, but you could try. The finished headliner piece would need to be larger than the opening. It typically has plastic sewn on all 4 edges that slip into the opening in the roof and catch on a lip. You would have to figure out how far the plastic needs to go into the opening to catch the lip. As an example, we could sew on a 1/2" piece of plastic with a seam going directly down the center. That leaves 1/4" to catch on the lip of the opening. That would mean the finished headliner dimension would have to be cut 1/4" larger than the opening, with a 1/2" plastic sewn to the face. This method can be followed for whatever size you wanted the plastic to fit snugly on the lip.

We are just not sure what that lip looks like that you would be using to tuck the headliner, nor do we even know how much room is up there for tucking. There has to be enough room for the entire width of plastic to slide in before it come forward into the lip. You can maybe figure it out by sticking a putty knife of just a piece of cardboard into the opening to see how much room you have up there to work with. You can adjust to any width of plastic (1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 3/4")that you think would work properly to hold it snugly in place.

So we can make a headliner piece finished to any final dimension, with however many bows you want, and sew plastic of any width onto it....that is the easy part. What that dimension we end up with is what you need to provide, and we can get it done.

Fabrics and vinyls have different amounts of stretch to them as well, so you would need to consider how much stretch there is to the fabric/vinyl you use. If you let me know what you want, I can tell you if it has much stretch to it, and what direction the stretch will be going on the final piece. The stretch usually goes side to side. Some vinyls have no stretch at all, and they will be more difficult to install.

Thank You,
Carol Werner
President
Sewfine Interior Products
2280 S. Lipan St.
Denver, CO 80223
1-800-SEWFINE
720-287-2127
Sewfine Interior Products
Bus and Vanagon Catalog
Bug/Ghia/Type III/Type 34 Catalog

Now my question is, are the Pre-68 and Post-68 actual center of the roofs the same size?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

gorbur wrote:
I'm just in the process of doing the same. To me it looks quite clean. There's a bit of discussion in the https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=624393&highlight=headliner
My plan is to wrap 5 strips of 15mm foam with headliner material. Starting at the front and working to the back I'll use Velcro strips to retain the curvature on the leading edge. Friction fit on the sides. I have wiring / tubing in the arches running from front to back so can't use the bow rods.
Just a thought

Any pictures of the progress thus far?
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Still waiting on the fabric to arrive. This pic is of my starting point. In the body prep i removed the grip strips on the B pillar. The pillars and arch are painted out to the exterior colour. Originally i was going with insulmat/bow rods/headliners but wasnt 100% sure how i could tension correctly. The black you see on the roof is adhesive from the insulmat after i removed it.

Ill post some pics next week on my progress.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Have you seen this video ?

Link

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Dark Earth wrote:
Have you seen this video ?

Link

Yeah I have that’s what gave me the idea, the problem is that’s a 67 or earlier (I don’t know year for sure just know it’s a metal dash model) and I am not sure if they have the same size center section since I believe they changed window sizes sometime also?
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

gorbur wrote:
Still waiting on the fabric to arrive. This pic is of my starting point. In the body prep i removed the grip strips on the B pillar. The pillars and arch are painted out to the exterior colour. Originally i was going with insulmat/bow rods/headliners but wasnt 100% sure how i could tension correctly. The black you see on the roof is adhesive from the insulmat after i removed it.

Ill post some pics next week on my progress.

Yup that’s exactly what I will be doing. Only my entire car will be painted in Raptor Liner so I will still do the body work to the best of my abilities but it will hide any imperfections I encounter when I am grinding the tabs off. Yours looks great! Thanks
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Just about finished the headliner. My original plan was to have a really small piping between the panels. As it turned out the butt joints are tight and flush so i might leave it as is. There are 4 .375" XLPE 2lb foam panels wrapped in fire retardant fabric. Velcro holds the panels in place on the leading and trailing edges.
I wanted to have all the interior fabrics match so for others this might be an option.

Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Looks fantastic! That’s exactly the type I am wanting for my Baja.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

now with these center headliners do the interiors get any louder or generate more heat inside the cabin?
gorbur
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

For sound I think neither better or worse. Heat, the foam has a slight edge on paper. What would have been really effective would be some strips of sound deadening mat prior. The effect it had on the doors, quarters and trunk deck was amazing.
Someone else pointed out that the headliner does more to absorb sounds from the interior then to what's coming from the outside.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Took the plunge and cut the headliner tabs off and ground everything smooth. Didn't have a real good solution for the rear tabs since they go all the way through and actually are open to the foam in the rear, so I hammered them flat. I will put a few welds on each tab, grind the welds smooth and cover the area with seam sealer. Since I am doing a Raptor Liner paintjob inside and out, you probably won't even be able to notice that they are still there.

keg184
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

A picture of my center headliner
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Where did you get it from?
TonyPgh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

keg184 wrote:
A picture of my center headliner

WOW thats nice!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Classifieds Feedback
keg184
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Double-Double wrote:
Where did you get it from?

I got the material on Ebay and cut it to fit.
Bama Dave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

gorbur wrote:
....I have wiring / tubing in the arches running from front to back so can't use the bow rods.

Curious as to what tubing you have in there and why?

1970 Beetle
1971 Super
1972 Baja

hellthorne wrote:
First off, I know i made stupid decisions that led to my predicament, so while you are welcome to tell me that I am an idiot for doing the things I did, please know that I am already aware of this.
Double-Double
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Center Headliner Question Reply with quote

Bama Dave wrote:
gorbur wrote:
....I have wiring / tubing in the arches running from front to back so can't use the bow rods.

Curious as to what tubing you have in there and why?

I'm guessing tubing would be a mechanical oil pressure gauge?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: