Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CB “racing gland nut”
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Ok so I’m beginning to assemble the crank and noticed that the gland nut is a different size than the stock one. Stock is 36mm and i think cb is 37-38...
No big deal. But.
My torque master tool tool I bought to tighten down the gland nut is also 36mm. Haha.
Not sure what I am asking here but I guess I’ll just buy another stock gland nut or use the cb and have to find another socket and find a way of torquing down the gland nut without the torque tool I bought. Wasted money I guess.
I guess I’ll just get a new gland nut instead.
grandpa red
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

I know what your saying...that tool is not cheap but works good.
KROC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Ok so I’m beginning to assemble the crank and noticed that the gland nut is a different size than the stock one. Stock is 36mm and i think cb is 37-38...
No big deal. But.
My torque master tool tool I bought to tighten down the gland nut is also 36mm. Haha.
Not sure what I am asking here but I guess I’ll just buy another stock gland nut or use the cb and have to find another socket and find a way of torquing down the gland nut without the torque tool I bought. Wasted money I guess.
I guess I’ll just get a new gland nut instead.

Manufactured from chromoly steel to provide the strongest gland nut available. The extra large thrust surface helps hold the flywheel firmly against the crankshaft to prevent loose dowel pins and oil loss. The increased diameter has better holding power than stock gland nuts. Complete with inner needle bearing and special grease seal. You can use Racing Gland Nuts with stock or lightweight flywheels with 4 or 8 hole pattern. Each Racing Gland Nut is sold with a hardened steel thrust washer for added strength and holding power. For use on all 40hp, 1300, 1500 and 1600cc based engines.

Requires 1 1/2" socket.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

I use the Berg which has a 36mm head.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=634870

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Quote:

simple fix. I have 3 different gland nut "tools" for the torquemeister. I never seem to buy the same size gland nut.
buy a cheap socket for the size you need, weld an axle nut on the top, trim the length so it fits in the torquemeister when mounted on the engine case.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

It’s the little things that always bite you in the ass...not exactly hit me but slowed my progress. I appreciate your suggestions. The torque meister is awesome!!!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Back In the old days we used these, but they are limited by size as the socket is welded on. Unbreakable tool steel not cast will last forever.. left side is 41mm and right side 36mm.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Yup....

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Weld a axel nut to the 1 1/2” socket, and use the torquemeister as usual.
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

i used to weld sockets to stuff, but these days I mostly don't anymore.
A socket is most useful as a socket.
But....I will weld a tube to an extension, this makes a great low cost breaker bar, that has proven SUPER handy. Two can be connected to form a tee handle.

Connect a torque wrench to make a tee handle that gives 2x torque setting for large lug nuts.
Weld another extension at the end of the handle, also makes 2x torque wrench multiplier. (Must be same effective length as torque wrench in both cases)

Depends WHERE you are in the game.
Still tooling up, or, tooling down (re-tired)
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

I only buy the Gene Berg gland nut and I only have one tool.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

Think I’m gonna go with the Berg. It the right size so I can use both my 36mm socket, torque wrench, and my torque meister thingy.
I “can” weld but not too confident in my ability. If that bitc! breaks it would suck!!
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
Think I’m gonna go with the Berg. It the right size so I can use both my 36mm socket, torque wrench, and my torque meister thingy.
I “can” weld but not too confident in my ability. If that bitc! breaks it would suck!!

Yep the Berg is a quality piece. All I will use.
Dan
Paul Jr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

That’s awesome. How would torque specs apply in that case? How would you torque it down?
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

i read a book and cant remember which one now, couldve been the " how to keep your vw alive" as it has some really cool simple ideas. anyhow it was talking about torquing the gland nut and an easy way to figure your foot lbs. if you have a 200lb man supporting all his weight on a 1 ft bar thats equal to 200 ft lbs , make it a 2 ft bar and thats 400 ft lbs, etc etc...
i tried this on the last engine i built ( im about 220 ) with a 2ft breaker bar. so if this is correct that wouldve been 440 ft lbs. after that i hit the gland nut with my 1/2" impact rated at 400 lbs on 600lbs off and it wouldnt tighten the gland nut anymore than what it was.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DurocShark
Samba Member

Location: Crappy town in a crappy state. But the beach is nearby, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
i read a book and cant remember which one now, couldve been the " how to keep your vw alive" as it has some really cool simple ideas. anyhow it was talking about torquing the gland nut and an easy way to figure your foot lbs. if you have a 200lb man supporting all his weight on a 1 ft bar thats equal to 200 ft lbs , make it a 2 ft bar and thats 400 ft lbs, etc etc...
i tried this on the last engine i built ( im about 220 ) with a 2ft breaker bar. so if this is correct that wouldve been 440 ft lbs. after that i hit the gland nut with my 1/2" impact rated at 400 lbs on 600lbs off and it wouldnt tighten the gland nut anymore than what it was.

Impact ratings are usually BS. Your body weight at a given length works fine.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:

Yep that’s where it was from.
Muir had a backyard bare bones approach that just worked.
He also had a hilarious way to explain it. His book was entertaining as well as educating.
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: CB “racing gland nut” Reply with quote

W1K1 wrote:

simple fix. I have 3 different gland nut "tools" for the torquemeister. I never seem to buy the same size gland nut.
buy a cheap socket for the size you need, weld an axle nut on the top of that cheap socket, trim the length so it fits in the torquemeister when mounted on the engine case.

Yes! ^^^^^^^^ This!

works fantastic

I just flip the torquemeister's pinion gear around tot he brake drum removal side, which accommodates my socket/axle nut weldment
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: