Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Long Have You Owned Yours?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993

10 years of planning and research were added... Good Planning... Very Happy

Imperial years correction.

Metric years. 0.62 to 1.00 is just about right.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I just celebrated 40 years this past October 17! I forget my own kids birthdays, but never the day i drove my brand new Westafila off the dealer lot!
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
30 years with ours and still enjoy every trip in it.

We completed the first Moon Unit two years ago and are now 10% of the way back to Earth.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

very cool. Only 6 years on current Bus.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Bought my current 85 in December of 1995. Expect to be buried in it.
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

We bought the '91 carat in '98.

We bought the '86 Doka in '02

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Around 5 years now. I joined the samba right after I won this beauty on ebay for $1500...

Last edited by tjet on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Four years for me. Mine definitely has over 300,000 and the prior owner was similar to a lot of those on here that owned them forever. He would have kept it longer, but passed away. I think it was his plan to own it until he died, and that's what happened.

I honestly cannot ever see getting rid of it. I drove it to the store last night and thought about how cars in general are headed in such a different direction that it makes this old van even more enjoyable. It's becoming more and more a piece of history, yet one that you can keep driving as much as you like as there is so much support for them now. I love it. Other cars just aren't like this. I've been through a string of other cars over the past 5 years and the van is the only one I never think about selling. There's no replacement and that's evidenced by all these long term owners.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
Four years for me. Mine definitely has over 300,000 and the prior owner was similar to a lot of those on here that owned them forever. He would have kept it longer, but passed away. I think it was his plan to own it until he died, and that's what happened.

Indeed. I'm thinking about being buried in mine, but then I think, hell that's depriving someone else of the chance for a sweet ride (and creating a new Westy addict). In the end, I reckon my wife will decide, 'cause it ain't going until I do! My first Bus ('68 with sunroof) had over 400K when I sold it to buy a '78 Westy. My '86 only has about 270K, with around 10K on the current drive train.

Non-Vanagoners usually don't get it, and can't understand why I drive a 30+ year old vehicle. Always tell them, I can afford to drive anything I want...and I do, a 33-year old Westy!
84Cabby82Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Bought mine from the 1st owner in 1996. At almost 24 years, I thought I'd owned mine for a long time until I read through this thread.

Brought my 6 year old home from the hospital in it when she was born and she helps me keep it clean and fix minor stuff. We discussed getting something a little bigger with a bathroom, but she's made it very clear that she's going to be the 3rd owner and I had better continue to take good care of it.
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

84Cabby82Westy wrote:

Brought my 6 year old home from the hospital in it when she was born.

That's great. Our daughter was born in June and I made a couple jokes about doing that and the look on my wife's face was an intense NO. Safety does not compare to her Tiguan, but It was also a very short drive. Oh well....
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

My favorite post here is from Nuthin2it. Original owner and has seen the vehicle to 300k miles over every kind of road possible. 35 years with one of these is truly like having another family member. Ball joints, like knees wear out. Steering boots tear, like outgrowing tennis shoes. Engines go like...well let's not go there : )
And sometimes BOOM! There be fire in the belly!
Keep on tending that camper! You got this lifestyle dialed.
: )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

My now wife and I purchased our 1985 Westy Weekender on Halloween, Oct 31, 2003 from the second owner in Carpinteria, CA. She worked for Channel Islands surfboards and when she told us she had lent our van to Kelly Slater and Rob Machado for a OR roadtrip when they were teenagers, we were sold. Laughing

My wife and I have seen all the National Parks including in the western US, western Canada and were engaged/eloped on a trip in it in 2012. We now have three children who absolutely love our van: 1, 3 and 6: glad we got a weekender with the three wide bench seat! Very Happy Smile

Fully intend on owning it throughout my lifetime and beyond. It's a great, challenging hobby that always keeps me motivated to learn more in the end. Brown Vanagon

BANFF NP 2012

Last edited by Squidfish on Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:57 am; edited 2 times in total
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

These stories are inspirational, thanks all contributors..

BK
SyncroHead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

29 yeas now with my '87 Syncro bought in 1991 from a Chevy dealer in Pasadena, CA. I still have the original paper ad from the Auto-Trader I found it in.

It was missing the cushion over the engine. I found some papers in the van with the original owner's information on them. I called them and asked abut the cushion. They found it up on the rafters in their garage never used and I was able to drop by their home and pick it up. They were happy to see me with their van.

I bet the 1991 Suburban they traded it in for has long since met it's demise, while the old Syncro is still having new adventures! Very Happy

Jim

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

All these super long ownership stories are awesome! I'm just over 2 months with my syncro and looking forward to making many memories in this thing. I just wish I could have started with a new one decades ago, but I guess when a vehicle or anything for that matter starts to get this old, it's interesting to think of yourself as more of a steward of an object that had a long life before you owned it, and will hopefully have a long life after your time with it.

[/img]
Interstellar Overdrive
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

My dad bought a 1987 Tin top Wolfsburg Edition in 1997 from a co-worker, who I believe was the original owner. The engine ended up breaking down in 2005 and was just sitting there for about 12 years, until we decided on doing a full restoration 3 years ago and now is running strong!

I recently also bought myself a 1987, but a Westfalia camper back in September. Hoping on keeping it for a very long time this one!
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Welcome! Nice van. We need more pix.
mdub wrote:
All these super long ownership stories are awesome! I'm just over 2 months with my syncro and looking forward to making many memories in this thing. I just wish I could have started with a new one decades ago, but I guess when a vehicle or anything for that matter starts to get this old, it's interesting to think of yourself as more of a steward of an object that had a long life before you owned it, and will hopefully have a long life after your time with it.

[/img]

bjrogers86auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

October 6th 2008, 11 years, 4 months, 16 days, 11 hours and counting.

This summer may see us hit 100k Kms since we bought the van.

Brian

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day. Calvin and Hobbes.
connorsvw2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

27 years this spring. 10 under 1.9 WBX power, and 17 years under Subie 2.5 power. Just had a full body restoration last spring. Now for GTI Recaros and electric upgrades!

[

'09 Subaru Outback XT 5-speed, 245 hp rocket (wife's car)
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I bought this 1987 automatic transmission Vanagon 2WD Westfalia Camper GL back in 1993 (already had a '67 Split-windshield Westy SO-42 Campmobile) from an elderly seller only 1/4 mile from my neighborhood. Strangely I had never seen it around my neck of the woods as they kept it garaged most of its life with them. It was their retirement trip/vacation third vehicle and had only 17,000 miles on her. My wife and I currently have only 70.000 miles on her after owning it for the past 27 years. Then again, I do own eight Volkswagens, so my mileage gets spread around all the old VWs! While I've tried not to over-accessorize and keep her close to stock, I've added the five Carat mag wheels, one of the last available VW dealership trailer hitches (super robust!) from a Vancouver, Canada VW dealership, a Westfalia sliding door snap-in mosquito screen, a Westfalia storage/potty box and a few other goodies.

We love this 33 year old Camper GL and I've kept up on the maintenance.
So far I've refreshed the FI hoses twice, replaced the water pump, rebuilt the rear brakes and religiously changed the oil/filter. As a sort of "pre-retirement present" for myself and the Van, I just dropped a pile of money gathering up all the parts and pieces to replace every one of the original factory installed coolant system rubber hoses, the old coolant junction tower, the original radiator, a the return-to-tank fuel hard line, the tank vent hoses/seals, the fresh water line to the sink, etc. All of those original items are still working fine, but it's a few jobs that are long overdue! I'll also install the GW AT gear oil cooler kit, and install new stainless steel hard pipes, a complete headlight adjuster kit, and a complete new GW Manchester LP tank. Several big jobs ahead this Spring, but I think I can handle it just fine...

Bill Bowman
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: