Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Long Have You Owned Yours?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

84Cabby82Westy wrote:

Brought my 6 year old home from the hospital in it when she was born.

That's great. Our daughter was born in June and I made a couple jokes about doing that and the look on my wife's face was an intense NO. Safety does not compare to her Tiguan, but It was also a very short drive. Oh well....
84Cabby82Westy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Bought mine from the 1st owner in 1996. At almost 24 years, I thought I'd owned mine for a long time until I read through this thread.

Brought my 6 year old home from the hospital in it when she was born and she helps me keep it clean and fix minor stuff. We discussed getting something a little bigger with a bathroom, but she's made it very clear that she's going to be the 3rd owner and I had better continue to take good care of it.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Eric_Taylor wrote:
Four years for me. Mine definitely has over 300,000 and the prior owner was similar to a lot of those on here that owned them forever. He would have kept it longer, but passed away. I think it was his plan to own it until he died, and that's what happened.

Indeed. I'm thinking about being buried in mine, but then I think, hell that's depriving someone else of the chance for a sweet ride (and creating a new Westy addict). In the end, I reckon my wife will decide, 'cause it ain't going until I do! My first Bus ('68 with sunroof) had over 400K when I sold it to buy a '78 Westy. My '86 only has about 270K, with around 10K on the current drive train.

Non-Vanagoners usually don't get it, and can't understand why I drive a 30+ year old vehicle. Always tell them, I can afford to drive anything I want...and I do, a 33-year old Westy!
Eric_Taylor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Four years for me. Mine definitely has over 300,000 and the prior owner was similar to a lot of those on here that owned them forever. He would have kept it longer, but passed away. I think it was his plan to own it until he died, and that's what happened.

I honestly cannot ever see getting rid of it. I drove it to the store last night and thought about how cars in general are headed in such a different direction that it makes this old van even more enjoyable. It's becoming more and more a piece of history, yet one that you can keep driving as much as you like as there is so much support for them now. I love it. Other cars just aren't like this. I've been through a string of other cars over the past 5 years and the van is the only one I never think about selling. There's no replacement and that's evidenced by all these long term owners.
tjet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Around 5 years now. I joined the samba right after I won this beauty on ebay for $1500...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by tjet on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

We bought the '91 carat in '98.

We bought the '86 Doka in '02

Tom

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'65 Bus/Panel/camper W/T
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'79 Westy
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
jmillsj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Bought my current 85 in December of 1995. Expect to be buried in it.
designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
30 years with ours and still enjoy every trip in it.

We completed the first Moon Unit two years ago and are now 10% of the way back to Earth.

very cool. Only 6 years on current Bus.

"It is that annoying, accelerating downhill so I can make it up the next hill in the same gear. Foot to floor hoping I can get out of the way of other cars getting onto the highway." - somebody on here around 2013.
calo1956
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

I just celebrated 40 years this past October 17! I forget my own kids birthdays, but never the day i drove my brand new Westafila off the dealer lot!
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993

10 years of planning and research were added... Good Planning... Very Happy

Imperial years correction.

Metric years. 0.62 to 1.00 is just about right.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

Join the Vanagon Rescue Squad on the VanAlert app.
http://vanalert.com/

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

0to60in6min wrote:
Quote:

Imperial years correction.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Wow. Several hundred years for you guys combined!
Just 1 year for us, but already some good times. Love working on it too!
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Quote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
izzydog wrote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993...

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019-1993&oq=2...p;ie=UTF-8

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

izzydog wrote:
36 years. Bought it in 1993...

https://www.google.com/search?q=2019-1993&oq=2...p;ie=UTF-8
izzydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

36 years. Bought it in 1993. Was looking for a Westy camper. Answered an ad for something called a "Syncro". Had no idea what that meant. Ended up with a Syncro that I had no idea even existed. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chachi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

only four years on this vanagon, but previous vanagon was a few years too and iíve had the bus for 15 now.
Atadloco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

Newbie to the group with my current van. 87 Syncro I got in 2015.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
I moved into my van when I divorced my first wife. I ran a business out of it for a few years. I married my second wife in the van over 25 years. I donít think life existed before the van🤔John

I've always enjoyed your updates in your build thread.

It's good to see a van go from storage to camping. Now there's more backstory. Well done.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=673792&highlight=

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: How Long Have You Owned Yours? Reply with quote

82westyrabbit wrote:
No that was before I phones and digital cameras. I wasnít convinced getting married a second time was a good idea. But I left Vermont for Florida with $500 got married bought wedding rings and a honeymoon and came back with some change so I figured it was going to be alright. My dog said she could stay because the food got better when she showed up. Itís been over 25 years one kid and 4 dogs later John

At least you didnít buy a ring and a pinion.

Congrats. I owned my last Vanagon,the tip top diesel ,from 1987 to 2000. I still miss her, beautiful white on blue , 30 mpg, and beautiful heat in conservative and cold Ithaca NY.

Last edited by Abscate on Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: