Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:46 pm    Post subject: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

For all you swapped water pumper guys, got a question about heat. There has been some chatter in my Buses build thread about various heating options, and I thought I'd throw this question out in its own thread for a broader exposure and input.  

-Are any of you guys running heater cores all the way up front in your Bus? If so, are they mounted at floor level, or elevated behind the dash? 

-Any issues with flow from the water pump pushing coolant all the way up there and back (particularly Subaru guys)?

My original plans for heat were targeted around running a rear mounted under seat heater core, which keeps the core relatively close to the engine and limits how much hose length/etc the engine has to circulate its coolant through. BUT, I have also been planning all along on running AC in the future, and I also want to make the defrost work in some capacity so that the Bus is truly usable in a variety of weather conditions. Pretty quickly this turns into having three separate systems for each function (heat, ac, and defrost), and this gets sort of clunky. I don't really want three sets of fans/controls to manage all three functions.

Soooooo... to maybe implement a more polished solution, I've also been toying with the idea of building in a full modern type HVAC unit behind the dash that incorporates the AC evaporator, heater core, and dampers for defrost all from a single unit. These universal hvac assemblies can be purchased from a few different sources, and would obviously require a fair amount of fabrication to make work. My primary concern however, is that the heater core would be on the complete other end of the Bus and elevated above the engine a good ways being tucked up under the dash. I understand I would have to bleed air from from the heater core when filling the system which is not a big issue, but I'm a bit concerned about having too much head loss and not getting good coolant flow through the core/heater loop. This would obviously limit how well the heater would work.  

Anyone have any first hand/practical experience with this? Am I over thinking this?

Also, for those that don't know, the Subaru heater core loop was originally designed in a way that it MUST flow coolant all the time to get proper thermostat operation. If you block off the heater core lines, or overcool the heater core flow loop, the engine will not properly regulate temp and can actually overheat in cold weather. There are some modifications that can be done to the cooling system to overcome this. I think for a rear mounted heater core its likely not really needed, but for a front mounted core, probably a good idea. Not really worried about this aspect at all, and am more wanting to discuss any potential flow and heat issues with the core being so far from the engine.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

camp out in the vanagon forms a bit. the Subaru pump is just fine in a vanagon, and they are pushing a hell of a lot more coolant than we could ever throw at a bay.

there are 2 style Subaru pumps (well, more if you add WRX etc) but the 2111 AA 007 is the "riverboat" style, closed impeller and the 21111 AA 110 is the "pinwheel" or open impeller style.

honestly, I think it's 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. the closed style reportedly flows more. until I see real GPM, i'm not convinced

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This is what I used. Happy with it.
Vintage air
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Ive done 2 bay/suby conversions and both got Maradyne brand marine heaters. One under the rear bench and one under the front floor with a custom plenum connected to the original duct work. The advantage of KrisBalfe's one in the glove box is it recirculates the warm air vs the ones I installed under the front draw in fresh air only. Never noticed much issue with a rainy day pumping steam in per se. As well these 2 vans get parked when it gets really cold.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
camp out in the vanagon forms a bit. the Subaru pump is just fine in a vanagon, and they are pushing a hell of a lot more coolant than we could ever throw at a bay.

there are 2 style Subaru pumps (well, more if you add WRX etc) but the 2111 AA 007 is the "riverboat" style, closed impeller and the 21111 AA 110 is the "pinwheel" or open impeller style.

honestly, I think it's 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other. the closed style reportedly flows more. until I see real GPM, i'm not convinced

Excellent information yet again Skills, thanks!

Not sure what pump is on mine tbh.. need to dig back through my old info and see what's what. I'll do some digging around in the Vanagon forum too. Done some sleuthing though there, but not a ton.

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:

This is what I used. Happy with it.
Vintage air

Thanks for chiming in. This is the EXACT unit I've been looking at too. Glad to see that it fits like I thought it would.

No issues with the heater core being so far away?

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
Ive done 2 bay/suby conversions and both got Maradyne brand marine heaters. One under the rear bench and one under the front floor with a custom plenum connected to the original duct work. The advantage of KrisBalfe's one in the glove box is it recirculates the warm air vs the ones I installed under the front draw in fresh air only. Never noticed much issue with a rainy day pumping steam in per se. As well these 2 vans get parked when it gets really cold.

Thanks for the input. I've looked at those as well. I considered a similar layout like your front mounted one, but wasn't keen on pulling in fresh air only.

What I was originally hoping to find something with a plenum on the inlet side so I could plumb it where it would pull air in from the lower walkthrough vents between the seats, and then output into the heater tree. But I never found anything that would work like that.

From my current perspective, the combined AC/heat/defrost unit like Kris posted is gaining a lot of traction. The single set of controls to run all of that is very enticing to me.

67 Beetle (TBD)

tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

I've got the 26000btu/200cfm Maradyne up front in my '75. Originally it was just below the dash on the glovebox side, and I had to add an expansion bottle up there because the cooling system wouldn't bleed properly.

I moved it to under the floor just ahead of the parking brake mechanism and ducted it into the stock "tree" from there last year fallin preparation for an A/C evaporator in the under-glovebox location. Heat output with it drawing fresh air from above the belly pan seems about the same as before when it was recirculating...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
Heat output with it drawing fresh air from above the belly pan seems about the same as before when it was recirculating...

unless your car is on RECIRC or MAX A/C your daily driver pulls fresh air from the outside. I wouldn't sweat the fresh air only aspect myself.

if you were a freak, you could duct to the fan inlet from the panel behind the bumper. you'd be pulling cabin air from the nose area between the kick panels

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
KrisBalfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

[/quote]

Thanks for chiming in. This is the EXACT unit I've been looking at too. Glad to see that it fits like I thought it would.

No issues with the heater core being so far away?[/quote]

I may have had to modify a few things to get it to sit in there like that, I will see if I have pictures. It is set up like a vanagon essentially so no problems.
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

unless your car is on RECIRC or MAX A/C your daily driver pulls fresh air from the outside. I wouldn't sweat the fresh air only aspect myself.

if you were a freak, you could duct to the fan inlet from the panel behind the bumper. you'd be pulling cabin air from the nose area between the kick panels

My daily driver is either the Bus or a '73 Mercedes 280c. Laughing I've thought about ducting the vent at the rear of the walk-through to the fan inlet for recirculation, but haven't gotten around to it yet .. and I'm not really sweating it anyway. Between the front heater, the rear heater with an even larger core than the front one, and one of the cheap diesel Airtronic clones .. my wife and I will never be cold driving around in the Bus no matter what the temps are outside.

There's no such thing as too much heat in a VW Bus. Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:

There's no such thing as too much heat in a VW Bus. Laughing

Only if you live in an environment that lends itself to being cold and damp 6+ months out of the year. Wink

I bust out the Eberspacher in he AM only to be met by 90+ temps in the PM in freaking October. Shocked

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Deserts are the Creators way of saying, scorpions live here, the rest of you live somewhere else.
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

tristessa wrote:
I moved it to under the floor just ahead of the parking brake mechanism and ducted it into the stock "tree" from there last year fallin preparation for an A/C evaporator in the under-glovebox location. Heat output with it drawing fresh air from above the belly pan seems about the same as before when it was recirculating...

Hmm, interesting. That's good information, thanks!

Valid point. I do run recirc on my daily driver a lot, usually just to avoid odors from getting stuck behind sh**boxes and diesel trucks. Otherwise I vent in from the outside for "fresh" air.

67 Beetle (TBD)

Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

KrisBalfe wrote:
I may have had to modify a few things to get it to sit in there like that, I will see if I have pictures. It is set up like a vanagon essentially so no problems.

Yea, I certainly expect it would take a fair amount of modification and fabrication to make that unit work, but the end result sure would be nice.

If you have more pics, I'd sure love to see them. Thanks!

67 Beetle (TBD)

vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

I don't think I have any pics of the Vanagon heater core setup I currently have there, but here is the marine heater I originally had in the front. It didn't put out as much heat as the Vanagon rear heater, so that's why I swapped it.

But the setup is essentially the same.

Like I said in another thread, I plan to eventually flip it and mount to the underside of the floor so I can remove the splash pan without dropping the heater.

I have considered getting a bigger heater and mounting it, which would require cutting a part of the splash pan and re-boxing it in to contain/protect the heater. Who knows if/when I'll ever get to that.

I have also drilled out the screw holes and installed nut-serts to mount the pan a bit more securely.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

From your other thread, for the benefit of this one:

vwwestyman wrote:
For my Bus' heat, I currently have two Vanagon rear heater core setups. One is under the back seat, and one is attached to the splash pan up front, blowing into the heater "tree." At some point, I may flip it so it's mounted to the underside of the floor rather than the splash pan.

To control the temp/cut off the heat completely, I put an inline heater valve in the feed hose. It is at the back, close to where one of the heat exchanger cables exits it's tube. I modified the end of that cable to work with the valve. I also used an assist spring to pull it into the closed position. Now I can turn the heat on or off via the lever on the dash! I don't remember what exact valve I used; I just picked it out of the catalog at the FLAPS based on inlet/outlet size and how the open/closed arm was arranged.

I'm pretty sure there is info on this in my TDI build thread. I think I did all that in the summer of 2016.

You'll want to make sure that this setup will work with the thermostat's requirements if you go that route.

I haven't had any issues with bleeding either core with this setup.

I have gone to using a vacuum bleeder-you draw a vacuum in the system, then put a hose in your jug of coolant and open a valve, and the coolant is drawn into the system. Works really well! There have been times I've opened the air bleeders on the heaters and times I haven't and it seems that all the air gets pushed out of them just fine pretty quickly. My SOP is vacuum, fill the system, vacuum one more time to just make sure, draw in a little more coolant, top it off, drive, top off again, done.

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

So if I was able to run my stock heat and my eberspacher and obtain a nice low 80's temp inside with outside temps around or slightly below freezing in Seattle. Id think that these set ups should be well above adequate for heating your bus. Shocked

I thinks Skills already said his rear heat was sufficient. I like this up front type you have Dave and would for sure want something like this if I ran a WC motor. I mean why not have a dedicated windshield/front occupant heating source as you'd want to use it 90% of the time to heat yourself. Wink

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Well, yeah. The Airtronic clone I've got installed is really more for heat when I'm camping .. though being able to preheat the interior by pushing a button on the remote while I'm sitting in the house finishing coffee is nice. =D
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Because the thread title is "up front" I didn't mention I also have rear heat!

I, more or less, attempted to copy and Busify the Vanagon heating system with my TDI bus.

As Tristessa said, the Espar heater is best used as a camping heater and as auxillary heating in combination with the heater core(s).

1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: