Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

My buddy's Vanagon and my swapped Bus are both using I-4 VW engines, his an ABA/JH and mine a 1.8T. We plumbed his the same as a diesel Vanagon and swapped the front heat/air box for one from an '86 WBX, putting in a new core and refreshing all the flap seals while we were at it. He should have as much heat from the vents up front as any Vanagon .. but he doesn't.

Mine is plumbed the same as the Passat engine donor, with the exception of there being two cores in parallel instead of one single core. The only other difference between my heater circuit compared to the donor Passat is the distance from the block to the front heater and the heater itself. The fact that it heats much better running down the highway than it does around town, along with the fact that shutting off the valve to the rear core doesn't do anything to improve the heater output up front, leads me to suspect a flow issue.

Even without the CDH, I do get enough heat in the cabin to be comfortable .. eventually. Which is why I haven't pursued it harder than I have, despite having had the last 10 years to play with it.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
for ~$200 to install a CDH you're either young, foolish or need a go-fund-me-heater plan.

heat is a nice thing.. it's a modern thing.. it's a good thing.. and can even enjoy it when parked..
Old,wise, and go fund me is for wankers. No, I just grew up hunting, fishing, and trapping in sub zero weather So dressing for the extreme is my default position. I have admittedly been eyeing a CDH. Probably the all in one model. They really don’t seem to eat that much space.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
for ~$200 to install a CDH you're either young, foolish or need a go-fund-me-heater plan.

heat is a nice thing.. it's a modern thing.. it's a good thing.. and can even enjoy it when parked..
Old,wise, and go fund me is for wankers. No, I just grew up hunting, fishing, and trapping in sub zero weather So dressing for the extreme is my default position. I have admittedly been eyeing a CDH. Probably the all in one model. They really don’t seem to eat that much space.

A CDH for you? Next thing you'll be all about dipped strawberries and champagne! Wink Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

A CDH for you? Next thing you'll be all about dipped strawberries and champagne! Wink Laughing
LOL! Maybe Pronghorn antelope jerky and turpentine! Wink Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
notchboy wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:

LOL! Maybe Pronghorn antelope jerky and turpentine! Wink Laughing

Well just don't start going Glamping. Then there may be murmurs about your man card validity. Cool Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Update for anyone who cares --

I just got home from helping my friend on his '81. We installed the rear heater, teed it into the hoses for the front core with a restricter in the line, and added the VR6 after-run electric coolant pump. The pump is mounted at the engine end, wired it to be always-on with the key, and in the hose *from* the water pump *to* the heater circuit.

Even just sitting in the driveway idling the motor, the hoses to the heaters warm up much quicker than before, and get noticeably warmer than they used to. The front heater *core* he has is definitely no good despite his best efforts to source the "good" version. Core never heats up despite inlet and outlet hoses and the end tank being good and warm.

So in conclusion -- if you feel your front heater output is lacking, consider adding a small electric pump. The one we used was from a VR6 Jetta, but there's plenty of suitable pumps in the wrecking yards these days. BMW, Mercedes, Volvo, Range Rover, Prius .. wander around and see what you find.

Gonna have to go get a pump of my own now...
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

i'm assuming a vanagon and also assuming he has a shit heater core they've been peddling for vanagons?

I am starting to believe that the smaller cores we run just don't have "it" in terms of a decent design to be that far away from the heat source. however maradyne offers a bigger heater with a in/out bias

http://www.maradynehp.com/pdfs/mm-a1090002_inst.pdf

I think a core designed with that bias would produce more heat on longer runs. when they are 2 feet from the engine, it doesn't matter

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
i'm assuming a vanagon and also assuming he has a shit heater core they've been peddling for vanagons?

I am starting to believe that the smaller cores we run just don't have "it" in terms of a decent design to be that far away from the heat source. however maradyne offers a bigger heater with a in/out bias

http://www.maradynehp.com/pdfs/mm-a1090002_inst.pdf

I think a core designed with that bias would produce more heat on longer runs. when they are 2 feet from the engine, it doesn't matter

Yes on the Vanagon, and most likely. The first core he got was the Thermex shit that was floating around at the time, so he sent it back and got what was supposed to be the "better" one .. which is also shit, apparently.

He ordered up a Spectre 94652 this evening, which is reportedly a decent fit for the Vanagon aside from being ~3.75" short, so we'll just block off the empty space. It's apparently a brass/copper replacement meant for a bunch of '80s and early '90s Audi models. Between that, the rear heater (w/new core that works quite well) and the heated front seats -- plus not being a drafty-ass poptop Twisted Evil -- it should plenty warm for the front seat passengers. Kids in the back can suffer... Laughing

I get pretty good output from my front heater as long as the engine's spinning at a decent speed. I get more heat from the rear heater, but the core is 2X the size of my front one.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

I wonder if the guys in Estonia would turn one of these out for you Vanagon guys? They make a pretty decent replacement for the P80 Volvo core for about $35, the only downside is it needs a cycle through the dishwasher to get the machine shop oil off it,
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Appreciate the update!

I think if I were to install a pump in my Bus, it would be wired up so that it was turned on whenever the heat lever was all the way down, utilizing the original contact used to turn on the booster fan.

I may wander around a salvage yard sometime soon.

The fan on my front heater (Vanagon rear heater setup) has an annoying squeak that I haven't been able to quiet, despite several attempts at lubing it. Perhaps when I can no longer stand it, I'll look at figuring how to fit the larger Maradyne heater.

Couple questions: Does anyone know the estimated BTU output of the Vanagon rear heater? I've looked a few times and cannot find a number.

If I were to buy the large Maradyne heater and modify the face plate to only have one outlet (to tie into the Bus heater tree) how much of a difference would that make to it's ability to provide heat? What I mean is, if it significantly reduces it's ability to provide heat, then perhaps it wouldn't be worth trying to figure out how to engineer fitting it.

As I'm sitting here typing this-the front heater is currently mounted to the front splash pan. I wonder about moving it to under the floor in front of the radiator, and ducting the heated air all the way to the front. Would be more room for fitting, but you'd also probably have an issue with the air cooling on the way to the heater tree.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

vwwestyman wrote:
Couple questions: Does anyone know the estimated BTU output of the Vanagon rear heater? I've looked a few times and cannot find a number.[

If I were to buy the large Maradyne heater and modify the face plate to only have one outlet (to tie into the Bus heater tree) how much of a difference would that make to it's ability to provide heat? What I mean is, if it significantly reduces it's ability to provide heat, then perhaps it wouldn't be worth trying to figure out how to engineer fitting it.

As I'm sitting here typing this-the front heater is currently mounted to the front splash pan. I wonder about moving it to under the floor in front of the radiator, and ducting the heated air all the way to the front. Would be more room for fitting, but you'd also probably have an issue with the air cooling on the way to the heater tree.

No idea what the Vanagon heater output is, though interestingly it's the same core/valve/fan that was used on the '81-'94 VW Polo .. which is why cores, valves and fans are still available. Can't find specs beyond dimensions in any case...

My Maradyne front heater was originally mounted hanging under the glovebox, one outlet ducted to the dash-top vents, the other into the tree for foot vents. Worked fine, plenty of output in temperature and volume. I moved it under the cab floor with a single outlet into the tree for both foot and dash-top vents a year and a half ago to make room for an A/C unit under the dash. There's still plenty of air *flow* from the heater, but with it now heating cool outside air instead of recirculation, the temperature output took a hit. It's still plenty of heat (plenty of heat IMHO, for the PNW), just not quite as much. I think I'm going to try to draw air from the outlet at the rear of the walk-through to get the recirculation back.

If the Maradyne you're looking at is the same as mine (A1090002), it will jjust barely fit in the space between the parking brake lever and the nose while attached to the floor, and then the splash pan fits perfectly over it. I can get pics of the install later if you want, but this is the heater itself -- I blocked the outlet closest to the hose connections and have the heater offset toward the passenger side so the other outlet lines up with the tree at the floor:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

Hmmm...

Looks very similar to the Heater Craft heater I originally used, actually.

I believe it was sold under a different name. I swapped to the Vanagon core because it seemed to put out more heat. I attributed the difference to finer/more fins.

Then I installed the heater in my boat, because why not?

So maybe all that means my best bang for the buck for an improvement would be the circulation pump.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tristessa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Waterpumper/Swap Guys - Heater Core up Front Reply with quote

I've seen them sold under the Maradyne and HeaterCraft brands, also non-brands sold by Jegs and Summit Racing. Interestingly, it looks like they're mostly made with a plastic housing these days not metal like they were when I bought mine. Apparently nylon, which is a bummer for modifications because ABS is so easy to work with as far as gluing & filling...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: