Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Climate control display cover repair
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Climate control display cover repair Reply with quote

Hi folks.
Edit

Meant to say, the posts already have a hole in them. The tap fit nice, no drilling needed.

Due to multiple times accessing the cable adjustment for the heat control
valve, and some lack of attention, I eventually broke both the posts
off the climate control cove on my ' 88 westy.
On my ' 81 that never happened; cover always came off easily.

On the '88 cover, I epoxied a post back on. This held until next time cover
came off.

As a Hail Mary type repair, I threaded each plastic post with a 32 tap then used
a screw at each to hold them in place. This is working, cover stays on. If I ever
have to remove it again, who knows how they'll hold up but as I say, a Hail
Mary repair.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
WestyBob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Climate control display cover repair Reply with quote

That's good to know. The face plates are of cost-cutting, flimsy design with roughly a ten year life span to match. The climate controls are as about as archaic as anything you can find on autos that first came with heater controls. I always thought the next time I have that problem I'd use (decorative?) screws in the front going thru to the posts. Hint: use lubricant on the posts.
Nuthin2It Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Climate control display cover repair Reply with quote

I found two small headed brown screws in my miscellaneous screw and bolt box. I drilled holes in the climate control cover where the posts broke off and, using plastic wall anchors, attached the cover to the dashboard with these screws.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Climate control display cover repair Reply with quote

Nuthin2It wrote:
I found two small headed brown screws in my miscellaneous screw and bolt box. I drilled holes in the climate control cover where the posts broke off and, using plastic wall anchors, attached the cover to the dashboard with these screws.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Nice, I like it... Looks Factory even
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Climate control display cover repair Reply with quote

Great solution with the little screws. My rear blower fan surround has been adrift for years and this is a good solution. Thanks.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: