Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Late bay window double cabs?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJ&LL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

I've imported a 1976 Doka from the Netherlands Cool and am curious as to how many other late bay window double cabs there may be in the United States?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Question Anyone else out there own one, know of one, seen one?
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

check with John Tauxe in Los Alamos.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

That looks like a great find. If you weren't familiar with VWs, you'd think it may be only a couple years old.

Yes, check out jtauxe's thread. He has the only 4-door Doka known to exist.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SamboSamba22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

Late Bay trucks don't seem to exist here Stateside. Mostly 68-71.
Cool double.

Oct. ’67 Double Cab (’68 Crew Cab)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44412.png]Click to view image[/URL]
March '69 Delivery (Panel Bus)
[url=http://www.vw-mplate.com/mplate-44414.png]Click to view image[/URL]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

Well, seeing as my name has been invoked...

Yes, I have an Irish (right-hand drive) 1978 double cab. During a major refit, I had a fourth door added.

On the rotisserie:

Refit complete, and ready to roll:

At home, fitted with bed slats and NOS PVC canopy:

Put to work:

But it is not the only one. There is a guy in Australia who is doing a VERY ambitious refit, a small part of which includes adding a 4th door. That build is nuts!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581931
Unfortunately, the poster insists on loading his photos onto photobucket instead of TS, so they may all be lost some time.

As to your original question about how many Type 2b double cabs are extant in the US... it's hard to say, of course. But, having been on this forum for awhile, and having regularly checked the TS classified for this very thing, I'd say definitely fewer than 100. Possibly as few as 20. Maybe?

Your Dutch Doka seems very nice. Too bad about your mirrors. I'm happy to share notes any time.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

Yes, I have an Irish (right-hand drive) 1978 double cab. During a major refit, I had a fourth door added.

On the rotisserie:

Refit complete, and ready to roll:

At home, fitted with bed slats and NOS PVC canopy:

Put to work:

But it is not the only one. There is a guy in Australia who is doing a VERY ambitious refit, a small part of which includes adding a 4th door. That build is nuts!
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=581931
Unfortunately, the poster insists on loading his photos onto photobucket instead of TS, so they may all be lost some time.

As to your original question about how many Type 2b double cabs are extant in the US... it's hard to say, of course. But, having been on this forum for awhile, and having regularly checked the TS classified for this very thing, I'd say definitely fewer than 100. Possibly as few as 20. Maybe?

Your Dutch Doka seems very nice. Too bad about your mirrors. I'm happy to share notes any time.

Just ran upon this thread... John, your DC has the tailight cutouts on the rear dropgate. I thought that was only on the early bay DCs?? My 78 DC rear dropgate does not have the cutouts. Interesting...

To the OP... here is mine, and I would have to agree, there are not many late bay DCs in the states anyway due to the "chicken tax" of 1964... so I've been told. "The Chicken Tax is a 25% tariff on light trucks imported to the U.S., imposed in retaliation for European tariffs on American chicken imports."

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=626641&highlight=

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

TJ&LL wrote:
I've imported a 1976 Doka from the Netherlands Cool and am curious as to how many other late bay window double cabs there may be in the United States?
<snip>

As for Type 2b pickups for sale in the US, there is only one listed on The Samba right now, and I know it well! Wink

deepcflea wrote:
Just ran upon this thread... John, your DC has the tailight cutouts on the rear dropgate. I thought that was only on the early bay DCs?? My 78 DC rear dropgate does not have the cutouts. Interesting...

I had seen the taillight cutout for type 2b in some photo here in The Samba (but can't find it now). I've never seen them in person. I thought it was a great idea.

This set of gates was built by KlassicFab, and I asked Gerson if they could add the cutouts based on that photo. They did, and they came out great! In the photo I had found, these openings had rubber seals and glass in them. In fact, I think it was an ad for the glass that caught my eye originally, from Keift & Klok or BusOK or someone in Europe. I decided to leave them open.

So, let it be known that KlassicFab will add these to your rear gate order!
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bvolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:

On the rotisserie:

What is up what the cross bracing between the frame rails? Is it bracing you added to keep things from moving when you were cutting pieces out?
1995 Golf CL
1974 Beetle
1978 Westfalia
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

I have a VW junkyard near me and the owner has a late bay Doka I have a few pics I found of it hiding at his VW show he host every year you can see a little of it in these pics. I will look for a better one. The first pic it is in the middle by the American flag. The second one it is in the top left.

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ceckert64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

Okay, some real pictures of it. Not sure of the year though

“Fitz” 1971 Westfalia Poptop
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

bvolks wrote:
jtauxe wrote:

On the rotisserie:

What is up what the cross bracing between the frame rails? Is it bracing you added to keep things from moving when you were cutting pieces out?

No, those were added by the metalworker after installing the 4th door, to add rigidity to the body.
deepcflea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Late bay window double cabs? Reply with quote

jtauxe wrote:
TJ&LL wrote:
<snip>

As for Type 2b pickups for sale in the US, there is only one listed on The Samba right now, and I know it well! Wink

deepcflea wrote:

I had seen the taillight cutout for type 2b in some photo here in The Samba (but can't find it now). I've never seen them in person. I thought it was a great idea.

Very cool! That's good to know they can do that.

This set of gates was built by KlassicFab, and I asked Gerson if they could add the cutouts based on that photo. They did, and they came out great! In the photo I had found, these openings had rubber seals and glass in them. In fact, I think it was an ad for the glass that caught my eye originally, from Keift & Klok or BusOK or someone in Europe. I decided to leave them open.

So, let it be known that KlassicFab will add these to your rear gate order!

Formerly owned VW's
1983 Westfalia
1956 Oval Ragtop
1967 Bug
1970 Ghia
1969 Buggy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: