Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tewfiks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

My 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum. Barely turns and the star adjustment is rusted stuck as well. I have sprayed with rust penetrater and tried to pound on the drum to no avail. I have tried all suggestions on this thread except a puller. How does one pull on a later bolt pattern hub?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

You pull on the lug bolts with the appropriate puller after removing the hub nut.

Personally I would spray the adjusters repeatedly over a period of several weeks and let the penetrant do its magic. Grind a chisel so it doesn't much damage the teeth of the adjusting wheel and tap it repeatedly with a smallish hammer.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

typically one hits one side then 180 degrees on the other to break it free. Don't forget to spray where the hub goes thru the drum. That is an area they often rust up.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

I have a puller. Before owning my own I rented one a couple times from my local equipment rental yard. If you need pics let me know
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
camino70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

I tapped the hole down hole and used a bolt to push it off.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Cap10323
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

camino70 wrote:

Great idea. I'll have to remember that going forward.

'77 Westfalia - 2.0 F.I
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

I'm gonna use a puller if the weather ever warms up enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

I like to mangle one star adjuster, with a punch, & some solvent/Liquid Wrench to help. Stars are cheaper than brake drums. Good luck with it.
I use a punch with a flat cylindrical end, not a nail setter or anything like that...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

Has anyone confirmed the parking brake cable isn't stuck yet?, if it is cutting it off close to the drum and freeing it up may make drum removal a one hand job.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Ryan P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

Mine was stuck the first time I removed them. I used a heat gun to heat the drum and after a few minutes with the heat, I heard a pop as the drum loosened up.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

Ryan P wrote:
Mine was stuck the first time I removed them. I used a heat gun to heat the drum and after a few minutes with the heat, I heard a pop as the drum loosened up.

I've had luck with heat, too.
I think I just applied heat around the hub area of the drum.
Used a high output propane torch, and it popped right off.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

Cap10323 wrote:
camino70 wrote:

Great idea. I'll have to remember that going forward.

The drums on my Silverado have the same thing. Did you try cutting/removing the hold down pins? I recently went through hell getting off the drums on my Thing. All four were frozen solid. Using a puller wouldn’t work because it would push the stub axle inwards. The only way I was able to get them off, and I tried everything, was to unbolt and disconnect the wheel cylinder, remove the hold down pins, and remove the stub axle. I put a punch through the bolt hole in the wheel cylinder and knocked it loose. With the axle out of the way it allowed the drum to ‘fold’ downward, instead of having to be pulled straight out. Major PITA, hope your isn’t as bad.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Yarkle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

look up lil-jinx as a username i think, hes up in canada, basically, use a jack to just jack up the drum enough (dont go really high) and give it a few whacks around the entire area and that should bust it loos. im describing this from memory, but he has a really good way of doing it

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=771024&highlight=
oscarsnapkin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1972 Westy has a stuck drivers side rear drum Reply with quote

Yarkle wrote:
look up lil-jinx as a username i think, hes up in canada, basically, use a jack to just jack up the drum enough (dont go really high) and give it a few whacks around the entire area and that should bust it loos. im describing this from memory, but he has a really good way of doing it

Could also try jacking the wheel up, loosen the axle nut a thread or two, and lower the jack to see if the weight of the bus breaks the drum loose.

"It’s so easy to laugh, it’s so easy to hate, it takes strength to be gentle and kind."
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: