Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angleofattack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Time to report again! My diaphragm is running well... year and a half! Starts and burns like when I installed.

If you need one, I still have a few left before I have to start printing again.
+1 USA 404 747 1294
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

I have watched this cool thread and refrained from comment because you are doing great work!

A couple of comments that may help you! I am glad your diaphragms are still working!

1. Your NinjaTek/NinjaFlex materials are all Urethanes or Urethane blends. They are classified at TPU (thermoplastic urethane's). A few of the really soft ones like the Chinchilla are TPU and TPE blends (thermoplastic elastomer).

Of note:......both Urethanes and nitrile in general.....are terrible with both normal gasoline and ethanol. They will sooner or later fail.

But......you are getting away with it and may get "good enough" lifespan out of the TPU Ninjatek material.....because its not cast or molded as a resin. Its a "thermoplastic"in the form you are using it in....so the surface is a good bit better sealed against attack.

2. I mentioned nitrile because last year you mentioned using a nitrile o-ring.

Nitrile general nitrile.....has no business in a fuel system......not because of the gasoline itself but specifically because of the of the ethanol.

In fact...most Urethanes cast from resin also do "decently" with standard non -ethanol gasoline. But the combination of the chemical soup of gasoline....plus ethanol and absorbed water.....are terrible for both materials.

But again.....due to the fact that the urethane you are using is a TPU....and its strictly its use as a "thermoplastic/thermo-set" instead of a cast resin.....I think you may get enough life out to make it worth your while.

If you still need to use an o-ring like mentioned last year....use viton.....or if that is too hard in durometer......use a fluorosilicone o-ring. If that is too expensive.....you can use HBNR. Those are the green o-rings you find in AC systems and some intake manifold gaskets.

It is Hydrogenated or "high saturation" nitrile rubber. It has resistance to oils and fuels and better than average resistance to ethanol.

HBNR is typically used to fill a gap between something like a urethane, regular nitrile or neoprene that are missing some chemical resistance and high temperature resistance.

While HBNR does not work as high as viton temps and it not quite as oil proof....it can work constant at 325-350 F......and its MUCH better with ethanol thqn viton.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

This Might work?

THIN NITRILE COATED NYLON DIAPHRAGM DATASHEET - BS2751

PRODUCT DESCRIPTION

Our thin nitrile coated nylon diaphragm sheeting is a high-quality material that combines excellent resistance with durable physical properties. The nylon fabric reinforcement serves to increase the strength and durability of this diaphragm material without compromising on flexibility. This enables our material to provide an impressive life expectancy even in physically demanding applications. The Nitrile rubber outer provides excellent resistance against mineral oils and fuels as well as a wide operating temperature range. This enables you to use our material in a number of automotive, fuel pump as well as valve applications. Our thin nitrile coated nylon diaphragm material is available in a variety of thicknesses from 0.25mm to 1.20mm. Aside from full rolls we can also supply this particular material in strip cut lengths and bespoke gaskets.

We regularly supply our nitrile coated nylon diaphragm sheeting for use in a number of diaphragm sealing applications. Common uses include; pumps, valves, gas control equipment and carburettors. However, our nitrile diaphragm material is also suitable for use as a flexible strip, critical sealing gasket, insulating barrier as well as isolating application....

POTENTIAL APPLICATIONS
Thin gauge diaphragm sealing applications
Automotive carburettors
Gas control & valve equipment
L.P.G. & methane gas actuators & regulators
Diesel & other fuel pumps
Gas & fuel metering equipment

THICKNESS WEIGHT TENSILE STRENGTH ELONGATION AT BREAK
0.25mm 390 80 30%
0.40mm 500 130 30%
0.50mm 650 175 30%
0.75mm 850 300 30%
1.00mm 1150 300 30%
1.20mm 1600 300 30%

https://therubbercompany.com/rubber-sheeting/diaph...m-sheeting
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Angleofattack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

I just wanted to report that my NINJAFLEX 3D printed diaphragm has been running flawlessly for 2 years already.

Just incase anyone needs one, I have a few extras or print more.

My BN-4 works so well that I can't think of replacing it with a modern one, even if it is noisy and can't control it by remote or thermostat...
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

That's good news! Cool

It's not hard to add a thermostat in the circuit between the dash switch and relay on the heater, you'll need one made for RV's to overcome false triggers if you squirm around at night. There are also remote controlled relays sold for fog lights and other auto accessories that would work fine for the heater too.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Lionhart94010
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

FYI you can add a thermostat to your BN4, it was an option...

25 1179 32 00 00 Eberspaecher room thermostat

wiring diagram

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A single pole thermostat has a singular switch that opens or closes the heating circuit. Opening the circuit stops power flow to the heater. While closing the circuit lets power run to the heater, so it can regulate room temperature. This is how a thermostat reaches its setpoint...
thesamba - www.ratwell.com - www.shoptalkforums.com/ - www.vw-resource.com - http://www.type2.com/
http://bobhooversblog.blogspot.com/ - www.aircooled.net/gnrlsite/resource/articles.htm
Angleofattack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

In January 2020 I installed the Ninjaflex 3D printed diaphragm and it has been running strong for 3 years already. I start my BN-4 at least once every two months...
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Angleofattack wrote:
In January 2020 I installed the Ninjaflex 3D printed diaphragm and it has been running strong for 3 years already. I start my BN-4 at least once every two months...

Great news, still glad you did it. Cool People ask every once in a while. I give them the answer and never hear back.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Very nice to hear!

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clhiller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Angleofattack was nice enough to send me a couple of diaphragms. I got one installed and as of yesterday, it is approx 1& 1/2 months and still running just fine.
Jeronimo, your swag is in the mail!
Angleofattack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Today I smelled gas when I started my BN-4 for a regular "exercise" (It is 80F today in Atlanta). I smelled fuel. After 3.5 years, my 3D printed diafragm failed. Not the material, but mechanically, and due to a design issue that I can't easily solve. So I will just print another one and move on with another 3 years or so. Good enough for me.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

So.., a 2 year life span, still better than nothing at all.

Thanks for posting about the failure, although a little disappointing it's good to stay ahead of potentially serious issues, it's good to have an option even if it's calendar life limited.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
So.., a 2 year life span, still better than nothing at all.

Thanks for posting about the failure, although a little disappointing it's good to stay ahead of potentially serious issues, it's good to have an option even if it's calendar life limited.

True that. I honestly think it amazing that you even care to post. The involvement you have is priceless brother. Thank you as well for the information. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Angleofattack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

So I looked at the failure in detail, and I believe I can improve significantly the design. 3.5 years is plenty anyway even with the original design.

I have added material to the base, and I will try to remove the sharpness of the cup washer. Also, the material failed in "delamination". I will increase the printing temperature little more.

Again, I thing these are more than acceptable at 3.5 yeas of sitting in the heater.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2023 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Yep, and in actuality that pr9bably really is a material failure.

The problem with these rubber types...Any rubber for that matter....is burn through time....which can be made worse by flexing.

So, the thinnest spots are going to burn through and get weak the fastest.

I do not consider it a failure. I also agree.

2 years is excellent. If you can make them cheap enough, just treat it like any other consumable maintenance item. I bet the thickened flange makes a difference.

Good work! Ray
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2023 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

The problem with these rubber types...Any rubber for that matter....is burn through time....which can be made worse by flexing.

2 years is excellent. If you can make them cheap enough, just treat it like any other consumable maintenance item. I bet the thickened flange makes a difference.

Good work! Ray

And to consider these were recommended to be serviced on 6-yearly intervals. It would be interesting to know what parts were deemed to replace on the original stuff. The plugs and diaphragms would be up there to maintain peek performance. Wink

Nice work around brother. Cool

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
Angleofattack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:

Good work! Ray

Three and a half years! Not 2 years! But to be clear, the material is in absolutely perfect shape. The failure was mechanical. The inner sharp edge of the cup washer cut through the rubber stem. And at the base, just too little material and the pulling of the assumetric spring load just pulled the filament adhesion. Most of the diaphragm has cross patterned layers, but the stem is just a one line over the other, parallel print, kind of a spiral vase print, as you can see in the picture below, and it is the weakest point in the print. That is why I think the extra material at the base will solve the problem.
I could try to print a thinker stem, maybe with a double wall, but that would require drilling the ID of the cup washer or grinding the rivet. Extra work. I just think the current print with extra material will die with my BN-4.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2023 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: EBerspacher BN-4 Pressure regulator diaphragms Reply with quote

Angleofattack wrote:
Three and a half years! Not 2 years!

But to work in a safety margin I'd still replace at 2 years even though it may make it a while longer.

Hopefully the new version can increase the replacement interval, although 2 years is still way better than no years.

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: