Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If you're in the market for a motor builder, read this first.
Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:45 am    Post subject: If you're in the market for a motor builder, read this first. Reply with quote

This past May, I contracted Mofoco to build a 2110 motor for my group. I'm part of a small group of retirees here in Hawaii. We've restored a 911 and a 930. We tried to find another 930, but a member of our gang found a 73' Kamann Ghia, and it was off to the races. We decided to contract the motor build, and began a search. Talked with quite a few people, and decided to use Mofoco. After talking with Roy, we decided on a 2110 with a few options, for our needs. I asked about making sure the engine was prepped for full-flow oil circulation, so we would have an oil filter, and have the possibility of cooling if needed. I explained the filter was a priority. Roy explained that over the years he'd had far too much trouble with customers over tightening the fittings, causing leaks, and advised against it. He said that he had a filter that was part of the oil pump cover, and that it worked very well. I agreed. We spoke about delivery time frame, and he said he needed 3-4 months. I thanked him for his time, and told him that wouldn't work for us. He asked when I needed the motor. I explained that at our age and condition, 3-4 months wouldn't work. It was May 1st. Roy said he could have it delivered to us before the end of July. We agreed. A short time later I spoke to Roy about exhaust systems. I'd read about Vintage Speed systems, and Roy said they were very good. Expensive, but very good. I bought it through his shop. We also discussed shipping and explained we wanted door to door airfreight. He gave us a quote for ground and air freight. I chose DHL air. July came and went. I called Roy. Now, he was hard to get ahold of, but finally managed to speak to him. He gave excuses about being overworked, and in need of a vacation. Not exactly the kind of stuff that instills confidence in your new motor. After he missed a second delivery date I requested he return our money. His reply was that company policy is that they don't do returns on money for motors. We finally got a motor in the middle of Sept. The motor arrived well crated but was sent by surface instead of air. We discovered that the motor was missing several pieces, and no oil filter. I called Roy. He said his filter didn't work with the Vintage Exhaust. Now, maybe this was the first Vintage system Roy had worked with, but either way i originally told him that the filter was very important. We believe he had an obligation to at least call us when he realized there was a problem. We've subsequently been in touch with Vintage Speed and they say they have a filter cover that works. We've tried to reach out to Roy to figure this stuff out, but he no longer replies. The message is simple. Don't order from anyone you can't drive and see. We heard great things about Mofoco, and believe there was a time when they operated differently. While we are all retired from the legal world, the thought of taking action for a remedy crossed our minds, but we'd rather work on the car with our time left. Be warned. I'm sure there are those who have gotten good products from Mofoco. It's why we reached out to them, but their customer service, now, is nonexistent. Once Roy had our money, the energetic helpful guy changed into someone who didn't want to be bothered. We are still sourcing parts to try run this motor. Roy, evidently, has moved-on to his next customer. If it's you, and you live far away, you might want to make a call. If you're thinking about Mofoco for your next motor, please take our experience for what it's worth. If you choose Mofoco, I hope your experience is far different than ours'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: If you're in the market for a motor builder, read this first. Reply with quote

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=224339&highlight=mofoco
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: If you're in the market for a motor builder, read this first. Reply with quote

Yes, please post in their existing feedback topic above so everything is in one place.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Buyer and Seller Feedback All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: