Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Propex 2000 questions
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
I think the idea is to use the cookstove just initially, to flush the 'air' out of the lines.

Hi Sodo and thanks for weighing in! I'm not sure why the stove would make a difference. We use the stove and the propex in the evening while parked. In the morning we try to start the propex and it runs thru 20 +/- cycles before starting. I'm not sure how, or if, air would get into propane the lines overnight? This may be a moot point after testing again this morning. See below.

Timwhy, thanks for that and I'm going to do it. Don't want bugs or mice going in there. (We have ongoing mice trouble that, despite extensive research and hole plugging, persists. They seem to come in thru the front under the dash somehow we believe. But that's another for another topic. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=725525)
https://www.openrangeimaging.com/adventure.html

Last edited by markf1 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:25 am; edited 2 times in total
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

Another round of propex testing this morning. Unfortunately, the propex is still having troubles with start up.

Ambient air temp 30F. Turned on propane, lit both burners on stove. Followed instructions for starting propex. Start cycle begins, green light turns on propex tries to fire up for @5 seconds, green light turns off, fan continues to run for @25sec., cycle repeats @ 15 times. Green light stays on longer and propex seems to be running for @ 20 sec., green light goes off, fan continues to run for @25secs, Green light turns on again, propex fires up and now stays on and runs as should indefinitely. Measured air temp at out put vent @180F.

I guess I'm going to set up one of those water column manometers as the nest step. I'll report back once that has been accomplished.

A bunch of photos showing the existing conditions the van is living in, the regulator, and other install photos. I do question the old two line propane fitting that I have attached to the regulator as possible source of trouble. It's marked in red in one of the photos below.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by markf1 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 am; edited 1 time in total
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

One question about the manometer photos above. The spacing of the lines is labeled as 1/2" increments but the lines appear to drawn and spaced in 1" increments?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

Yes, the lines are at 1/2" increments. The 1" of pressure comes from 1/2" down on the right side of the "U" and 1/2" up on the left side, i.e. we're measuring the difference between the water level on each side of the U.

Here's the link Karl posted where I learned everything manometer...

https://rverscorner.com/manometer.html

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

We have this regulator. It came attached to the new propane tank we got from GoWesty in 2014.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/lp-tank/2448/lpg-gas-regulator-2-stage-?v=

Assuming it needs to be adjusted - does anyone know how that would be done? I cannot find any manual or any info about adjusting it.

I'm thinking I would need to turn the gray colored "nut" on the second stage of the regulator. Seen to the right of my red markup arrow in the photo above?

Thanks!

Last edited by markf1 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
Classic symptoms of low propane pressure. The tiny Cavagna regulators that GW sells should be immediately dumped in the bin, in my opinion, not worth 5 cents. Not only are they not capable of supplying multiple devices with the proper pressure at the same time, but the tiny vents freeze over easily in winter conditions, rendering the regulation inoperative. Do yourself a favour and replace it with a Marshall MEGR-295.

I'm considering following Karl's advice above versus first before going thru the effort of building a manometer and testing and possibly adjusting the Cavagna regulator that we have. My thinking - Why test something that the expert on the subject recommends be replaced?

On the other hand maybe testing and adjusting what we have would be easier than replacing with new one. See how that works for a while. I do not enjoy dealing with propane fittings, esp while laying on my back under the van in the snow (end of pathetic whine).
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

markf1 wrote:
We have this regulator. It came attached to the new propane tank we got from GoWesty in 2014.

https://www.gowesty.com/product/lp-tank/2448/lpg-gas-regulator-2-stage-?v=

Assuming it needs to be adjusted - does anyone know how that would be done? I cannot find any manual or any info about adjusting it. Thanks!

The large round part of the regulator contains a diaphragm that moves to regulate the propane pressure through an orifice. The pressure is adjusted by turning a screw that increases or decreases the distance of a poppet of a relative to the orifice. Typically, there’s a plastic cap (about 3/4” in diameter) that is removed to gain access to the screw that adjusts the pressure of the spring (represented by the pressure adjustment handle in the illustration below). The GW version appears to be covered by the plastic cover retained by the screws. It also may not be adjustable at all or may be completely inaccessible. It looks like the second regulator screw is inaccessible because it’s 180 degrees rotated from where it would be accessible. (I have no real life experience with that regulator).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

I made a manometer and tested the water column. Admittedly not as nice of a manometer as shown in the previous post. I used a scrap piece of styrofoam and the edge I put a framing square on to draw the lines was a bit soft and uneven so my lines, mainly the zero line is a little slanted. Still I think it gives a decent picture of the water column.

Without any appliances running reading 12. Turn on propex and it drops to about 11.5.

This time when I started the Propex. Ambient temp @38F, maybe a bit warmer inside the van. Did NOT start the stove first. Propex fired up and ran on second start cycle.

Water column test makes it appear that regulator pressure is OK. It seem that cold temps are affecting the propex ability to start correctly.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

I didn’t read every post.. but did you try removing the wire “guards” from your vent lines? The only times my propex has failed to light was due to very small reductions in flow from snow build up or even spider webs. A quick blast of compressed air from either end cleared it up. I’m wondering if your screens are the culprit.

J
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

hmmm- it's a pretty much brand new install last fall.. and we had the problem then. By vent lines do you mean the black combustion air intake tube that is shown under the van in photo above? hard to imagine the hardware cloth mouse/screen i have over that is causing this trouble.

It seems to start fine except in cold <32F. just started ok at 38F
jberger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

markf1 wrote:
hmmm- it's a pretty much brand new install last fall.. and we had the problem then. By vent lines do you mean the black combustion air intake tube that is shown under the van in photo above? hard to imagine the hardware cloth mouse/screen i have over that is causing this trouble.

It seems to start fine except in cold <32F. just started ok at 38F

Yes.. I mean both combustion and exhaust tubes. Take the screen off and see if it gets better. I bet it does.

J
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2020 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

OK, I've tried everything else I can think of so I'll give that a try in the morning and report back. thanks!
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

Removed the 1/4” hardware cloth bug/mice screen I had placed at the ends of the air intake and exhaust tubes.

Ambient air temp @35F

Propex would not start. Ran thru 6 start cycles without starting before I turned it off. Lit both stove burners. Propex started on first try.

In a post above you can see at colder temp, 30F, the propex still had trouble starting even with the stove burners lit.

Something about cold temps is causing this.

Also notice that when I start the propex I have the tstat temp control all the way anti clockwise at it’s lowest/coldest temp setting. I turn the fan switch to the light position and the propex begins it start cycle. No need to advance the temp control to initiate the start up. Not sure if this means anything, probably not. Just putting it out there in case.

Last edited by markf1 on Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

A combustion engine requires a richer mixture start on a colder day. Isn't the Propex a type of combustion engine?

What would be interesting would be to see if a proper camper kitchen holds any kind of residual pressure when the stove and fridge are off. I'd expect with the valve open on the tank to have constant pressure at both outlets.

Lighting your stove would have the affect of filling the propane system, which shouldn't be required. Only when you've had the system open or the tank valve closed for a long period of time, the residual pressure might bleed off. Interesting problem.
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

More frustrating than interesting I’m afraid.

I wonder if when it tries to start, and the green light comes on for 5-10 seconds, if each time it does that it warms something up a bit. After enough attempts, whatever it is finally gets warm enough and the she finally kicks on and stays on.

Is there any kind of thermocouple or some such thing like getting a plot light warm enough before letting go of the button?
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

If it ignites and blows out (green light on, the off), it does still sound like fuel delivery is a little sluggish. There's no reason to test at the stove. A better test point would be to disconnect the heater line and connect the gauge there, then run both stove burners full-bore. That would tell whether the regulator was really doing its job.
About the Cavagna regulator: the atmospheric vent is tiny compared to every other regulator on the market, and has a super-fine screen that can easily clog or freeze over. Any amount of moisture - or contamination - in the propane tank would exacerbate the inherent flaws of this regulator. The adjustment on it is backwards from all others, it screws out / CCW to raise the pressure.
The only other thing I can think of is slow flame sensing, but almost unheard of on newest units. Flame sensing is made through the ignitor tip, so if it ignites properly then the tip is properly located to also sense flame.
Is there any chance of dust or debris being introduced into the heater's gas inlet during installation? Was the line blown through before connecting to the heater?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

Hi Karl and thanks for your reply.

I guess of course there is always a "chance" of dust or something getting into a copper tube line when installing and routing underneath 1986 vehicle.

No I did not blow out the propane tubing before attaching to the heater.

I'm getting the idea that the only thing I can do at this point is to replace the regulator and just hope that helps. That is not insurmountable but it also is no easy task to take apart the fittings and put in the new regulator and hope it all re-connects the same without having to redo any tubing or flare fittings or etc.

I'm not going to attempt that this Feb-March outside in the snow where it is. If that's the only thing we can do it will have to wait till after our spring trip with the van. We'll just have to endure the 20+ start cycles necessary to get the propex running to warm up the van enough to hang out for an hour or two on cold morn-eve's. Disappointing and frustrating after spending $800 on the propex, $300 on the acc battery needed and days spent to install the system.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

It seems more and more people tend to blame the '$800 heater' as the problem each and every time, regardless of what other external issues might exist. My advice to rule out external issues seems to be too much effort. I've been doing this seventeen years. I've thrown more of these Cavagna regulators into the trash can than any other brand. I've also seen contaminated tanks that will freeze up or slow down vapor delivery even on good regulators, the tiny Cavagna is even more susceptible. That the heater runs when warmer points to a fuel delivery issue. I'd wager that on a test bench the problem could not be recreated. If you had another known good portable tank and regulator that could be connected temporarily that too could help rule out the above.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markf1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

I'm not "blaming the heater" but we have a very new tank, valve, regulator and LiFePo4 accessory battery. I tested the delivery of the regulator by building a manometer.

I have made every effort I can to rule out external issues.

I respect that you have been doing this for 17 years and I have never dealt with one of these until now. From what I understand you have never seen a problem with the heater itself and it's always and without exception some problem outside of the heater.

Once things warm up, and we don't need to use the heater, I will buy and install a new regulator and hope that may help.

Regardless of what the problem is, it does not relieve the frustration and disappointment of buying the best and very carefully installing it, running all kinds of trouble shooting and still not having it work correctly. That's not blaming the $800 heater, that's just reality.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New Propex 2000 questions Reply with quote

Since the stove is not the appliance with the issue, a flow and pressure test at that connection isn't the best way to diagnose if there is / isn't a flow issue to the heater. Connect the gauge to the heater line at the heater after disconnecting the line there. Then run both stove burners and carefully watch the gauge for deviation from 11-12". The best scenario to reveal if there is a contamination issue is to test at a colder temp.

I did not state there are never any problems with any heaters - only that the symptoms are those of a supply problem since the reliability seems to be far better after lighting the stove. If it were here I would connect my portable tank and regulator to the heater and if it started well then would look through the supply system. I wish I could teleport myself and equipment remotely but that technology isn't available yet. Wink
The other option is to send the unit to me for testing/service - but that would need to be done immediately as things will be 'changing' very soon on where to send.

markf1 wrote:
I'm not "blaming the heater" but we have a very new tank, valve, regulator and LiFePo4 accessory battery. I tested the delivery of the regulator by building a manometer.

I have made every effort I can to rule out external issues.

I respect that you have been doing this for 17 years and I have never dealt with one of these until now. From what I understand you have never seen a problem with the heater itself and it's always and without exception some problem outside of the heater.

Once things warm up, and we don't need to use the heater, I will buy and install a new regulator and hope that may help.

Regardless of what the problem is, it does not relieve the frustration and disappointment of buying the best and very carefully installing it, running all kinds of trouble shooting and still not having it work correctly. That's not blaming the $800 heater, that's just reality.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: