Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Blocked licence plate?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

pondoras box wrote:
Actually you would be easy to find. All the pictures you post in the challenge and the historical places threads would make you a breeze to locate. I know of most of the places you visit and all I got to do is start asking for the guy in town into VW's and someone will send me right to your front door.

I used to be able to do this without the internet. I would stop places and just ask people the simple question of "There is supposed to be someone around here into old VWs do you know where that is?" I still know of cars down your way that have not been discovered. Try it you will be surprised what you will find.

The thread is about info mining related to licence plate numbers displayed on line not one's personal notoriety in one's own community.

I could be found very easily in my community by making enquiries about a local model aircraft club. Easier in fact than asking about my cars. But try and find me by my licence plate number alone?

Good luck!!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Glenn..can you put more money in your bank account? I’ve got some VW parts to buy

Very Happy

Total paranoia

Actually I keep all my money under the back seat of the car. It's safer since no one will look there.

But remember... it's a secret so don't tell anyone.

Got it , and thanks for the memories.

This new PM format looks just like posting, doesn’t it?
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Been there, done that. While waiting for the police to respond to my hit and run, i made 1 phpne call. When i got home i had a email listing the vin, manufacturer color, and a drivers license pic of the registered owner. Just in case the popo failed to apprehend. All from a license plate. Bounty hunters have the means.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

A guy a couple years ago posted an ad on CL to find the owner of a grey/brown rallye-themed ragtop beetle running around Boise. Of course, people who know me told me about the ad ((in a metro area of about 500k). Turns out it was the founder of barnfinds.com (Jessie) and he just wanted to know if it was the real deal or not (it isn't). Kind of creepy at first, but ended up being cool. Nice guy.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Two of the five buggies on Okinawa...plate # not needed...oh wait one moved to Germany:

Wasn't it in CA:

twice?

'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

cbeck wrote:
Been there, done that. While waiting for the police to respond to my hit and run, i made 1 phpne call. When i got home i had a email listing the vin, manufacturer color, and a drivers license pic of the registered owner. Just in case the popo failed to apprehend. All from a license plate. Bounty hunters have the means.

All of which only illustrates that both you and your bounty hunter buddy have zero respect for the law, people's privacy and common decency. I would not be so proud of my actions if I was you.

Or are we truly and completely anchored in an age without conscience now?
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Why do I block out my plate? Because if I can stop just one more potential instance of someone being able to look me up for reasons of no good, then it's worth it.

Where I live, some local people see my car and plate. Online? The entire world can see it, and thieves aren't just local.

Flaunting your plate here just to prove a point? haha
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Everything about driving is open to the public, it is a privilege not a right, therefore you have no reasonable expectation to privacy. You don't have to own a car.

You P.I. buddy does not have some access to a magical portal. He just pays a monthly subscription fee that finds all of it quick and easy.

My point of finding people through their online posting was to merely point out that hiding you tag number is a moot point.

If someone wants to steal your car they will!

It is funny how we will all hide our privacy in weird little ways yet post all of our information online in different forums, this one is not much different than Facebook it is all easy to locate without even knowing the thesamba exists.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

I have more common decency than the drunk f@#k with no license that punted me and my boy off the road and then left the scene. If it wasn't for the f@#$%d judicial system, he shouldn't have even been on the loose. Sorry, not going to just bend over and take it without lube. Again the point is supposed to be how easy info is to access.

raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:
I don't know (or care really) about anywhere else, but in TX i can get your name, address, year make model, who you bought it from, when your registration expires, previous licence plate, etc. $15 a month for the app and I can do i think 500 searches a month.

still, you gotta drive your car with the tag on it...

Yup...and actually.....on many of those same apps....some even give quite a bit for free....I do not even need your tag number.

If I know your name and state....I can pull you up....along with your last addresses and phone numbers and age and occupation for the past 20-30 years. With that level of info...just a little walking through Google land and I can probably get your tag number from any pictures you may have been tagged in on line.

Also can get your kids names and ages and current address.

Yep....its a problem!
Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Here is my challenge to all you licence plate hiders. You have two of my plate numbers, post a Google street view picture of my house.

Go on - put your money where your mouth is and make me a believer! You don't have my name, just the country and province I live in. Make it happen.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

I don't know that it's Samba members we are worried about, but rather the "bots" that mine data and sell to the highest and sleaziest bidder.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
I don't know that it's Samba members we are worried about, but rather the "bots" that mine data and sell to the highest and sleaziest bidder.

I'm not worried about Samba members but some of them claim to have done this and others warn of dire consequences, I am willing to be the test case to see if this is actually true. Apparently with just the plate number you have all you need - lets settle this question for all here.

And until that picture shows up here I am going to conclude that covering your licence plate is all paranoia and speculation, not based on reality.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Here is my challenge to all you licence plate hiders. You have two of my plate numbers, post a Google street view picture of my house.

Go on - put your money where your mouth is and make me a believer! You don't have my name, just the country and province I live in. Make it happen.

I haven't looked and don't plan to but is there a Google street pictures of your house to find?

I thought you lived in a rural area in Canada so just curious if it exists.

Even in my normal town with regular paved neighborhoods, there are some houses that have no Google street view.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

The trick is that he is in Canada, it might be more difficult but not impossible, me personally I am not going to drive up to look for you. My investigative technique is a bit more old school hands on. I am 100% certain of one thing you are findable with the information you have online.

But I do agree with you and the point I am trying to make is trying to make your license plate is only one way to locate you.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bigdog1962
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

I took the challenge Very Happy - from the all knowing, always correct internet:

"It may be possible to look up a vanity plate, but Canada isn't like the US where personal documents are available. You will probably need to get ahold of the appropriate Alberta government branch of vehicle registration, and will probably require the RCMP to get involved as well. Different provinces have slightly different plans but plates often belong to the owner and get transferred between vehicles as long as they are the same class. Therefore the plate is a private identifier. The government isn't in the habit of posting personal information.

You can go into your local RCMP detachment and ask them how to get it but they will want to know why. If the person was driving badly, they will file a report. If it was just a hot chick driving that you want to track, they will tell you politely that they have better things to do."
Oprn wrote: I'm getting to the age that any self propelled woman (no wheel chair or walker) looks HOT!! Oooo! look at that Babe! She made it from the dining room all the way to the TV room without help!! Hubba, hubba!!
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

Last I checked, Idaho DMV will not release any personal info based on a license plate number. It is against the law for privacy reasons.

Not sure if that applies to the interwebs.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
And until that picture shows up here I am going to conclude that covering your licence plate is all paranoia and speculation, not based on reality.

Notice: I have located you, and at this moment I am watching you from about 200 meters from your front porch. BTW, your fly is open.
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

I think it's hard to stay hidden these days, especially if you use the internet. That said, I've never worried about exposing my license plate. I have not seen one example on this site where that resulted in a theft. Not worried about the members here either but anyone can access this site.
Now if you're on FB and still hiding your plate, well that's just silly. FB is the data mining machine that we all fear. I use it but know full well that anyone can get ahold of anything I put up there. And if you're really worried about this sort of stuff, then don't post pics of your kids first day at school in front of the school. They are more valuable than the VW's.
I am part of the 1% that Google hasn't discovered yet. Directions don't work to my house and no street view. Yes you can still find it but not the easy way. The local firemen can find me so that's good enough for me.
Very Happy Cool
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Blocked licence plate? Reply with quote

I was in China two weeks ago. Google was blocked by the government.

That meant that my Gmail was blocked. The only search engine I coul get to ....without actually logging on to a local Chinese carrier.....was Bing.

I was there for work so did not care....until U got sick and had to go on a multi-hour "no-english" search for allsrgy drugs in phramacies with no english on boxes.

Bing was like shooting craps. You never realize how much you use the internet until its gone. Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: