Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Hey y'all, here's the specs:

Type 4 2.0L
Dual IDFs setup by aircooled.net:
Vents 28
Emulsion F11
Idle 50
Main 115
Air 175
Dist: 74 bus DVDA using only advance side, ported vac signal from left carb, timed 30deg. max advance (vac line unhooked and plugged at carb while timing it).
I've been told the curve on this dist. is pretty much like a 009 with extra advance at part throttle.
It's in a heavy bus with a pretty open exhaust.

Problem:
Idle to about 2000 rpm is great. Pulls good, even power. Over that, it kind of falls on its face and pops out of carbs (kind of a "chiff" sound a few times) unless I stomp it, then it goes. Sounds like it's leaning out. 3000-3500 rpm it clears out and cruises fine.

I gave them a tiny bit more on the acc pumps with no change.

I'm wondering about the distributor. Not the right curve? Not enough advance at part throttle? Too much advance?
Or is it leaning out?

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks!
johnnypan wrote:
...dont pay no attention to Culito,he's a cornhole..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

For 2.0....

28 vents

47.5 idle jets

120 main jets

200 air corrector

F11 tubes

Fuel pressure - 3.5 max

Float height 10-11mm (carb top gasket in place ball NOT depressed)

Float drop - 28 - 32mm

Also hook up a vacuum gauge to your hose running to the carb and verify what (if any) vacuum you're getting. IDF's generally either get 0 or small-moderate signal. You should also check the vacuum advance on the distributor using a hand pump/w gauge. Look to see when the vac advance starts moving and no longer advances. Right those #'s down for reference. Shoot for ~ 14:0 at LBI
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Culito

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Thanks!
Specs for the 205S distributor:

Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 8.5-11deg Adv @ 7.9 In. Hg; Centrifugal: 8-13deg @ 1600 rpm, 20.5-24.5 @ 3400 rpm

I'll do some more investigation re: vacuum signals. Can that be modified on the IDFs?
johnnypan wrote:
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Thanks!
Specs for the 205S distributor:

Advance/Retard Range: Vacuum: 8.5-11deg Adv @ 7.9 In. Hg; Centrifugal: 8-13deg @ 1600 rpm, 20.5-24.5 @ 3400 rpm

I'll do some more investigation re: vacuum signals. Can that be modified on the IDFs?

Not easily and not while installed. Remember after installing the smaller idles to open them more initially ~3 turns from lightly seated. Then LBI each. Do this after getting the engine to operating temp. All tuning done at operating temp.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Thanks.
It idles beautifully so I don't know if I want to mess with those - unless it affects the whole stack.
johnnypan wrote:
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Thanks.
It idles beautifully so I don't know if I want to mess with those - unless it affects the whole stack.

It will idle beautifully as well with 47.5 idles with better MPG's.

The A/F screws will adjust the mix at idle....even with the smaller jets it can be 10:1 or 14:1 LBI. That depends on where you adjust it.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Noted!

I just did a quick and dirty check of the vacuum with a Harbor Freight gauge, and just revving it up in the driveway I get almost 6-7mm Hg. Not bad!
johnnypan wrote:
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Culito wrote:
Noted!

I just did a quick and dirty check of the vacuum with a Harbor Freight gauge, and just revving it up in the driveway I get almost 6-7mm Hg. Not bad!

If i recall right the vac can will need at ~ 200mm hg to achieve full advance.

Your getting....

152.399423 in hg - 177.799327 in hg

Now leave your vac gauge hooked up and while idling take note of how many degrees of advance each of those readings (6-7mm hg add to your base timing while at idle with a hand pump.

Your vac signal was nearly the same as mine. I would also get your hands on an anti-pulse valve and install in your vacuum line as close to the carb vac advance port as possible (arrow facing carb port).

The valve will help increase the signal and smooth it out.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Bosch W8CC plugs
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Culito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
Culito wrote:
Noted!

If i recall right the vac can will need at ~ 200mm hg to achieve full advance.

Your getting....

152.399423 in hg - 177.799327 in hg

Now leave your vac gauge hooked up and while idling take note of how many degrees of advance each of those readings (6-7mm hg add to your base timing while at idle with a hand pump.

Your vac signal was nearly the same as mine. I would also get your hands on an anti-pulse valve and install in your vacuum line as close to the carb vac advance port as possible (arrow facing carb port).

The valve will help increase the signal and smooth it out.

Thanks for all the info.
Sorry, I mis-typed. The gauge is in inHg, not mm - so according to the carb specs I posted above, it doesn't seem too far off. I don't have a hand pump handy - perhaps another trip to HF is in order.

You know, the signal pulsated badly - so just as an experiment I put a larger metal fuel filter inline as a sort of impromptu reservoir and it cut the pulses down by more than half at part-throttle and no pulses after that.
I would be concerned that a check valve would delay the rapidly changing vacuum signals and thus response. How does the signal look after the valve?
johnnypan wrote:
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Measure your vacuum signal on the road at normal cruising speed and plan your advance around that number. The value you get in the driveway is of no use in real life.

Been there, done that.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

The anti pulse valve does not increase vacum. It smoothes the pulses out so you get a chance to see the peaks of the vacum. It - may - have a small effect on the vacum can too, I´m not sure. I never use this solution anymore.
Yes, if you want to dial it in best possible you should get a measurement on the road. There can easily be a 10-15% variation from backyard reving to real cruise.

T
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

I get that the valve doesn't increase vacuum.
I think I actually have an absolute air pressure logger left over from my physics lab days. I might hook that up and take a drive. It's a bus so every thing is waaay back there.

It was suggested that I first and foremost check sync at the affected RPM, so that's my first plan.

The days are getting shorter and colder, so that might be a while, however.

Thanks all.
johnnypan wrote:
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Y'all want data? Laughing Laughing

Link

20 second section of drive:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm seeing a lot of pulsation (as expected) just off idle which will need to be conditioned either with an anti-pulse or small reservoir. I'm also wondering if a tee between the two carbs might even out the signal.

So, I'm seeing 102 kPa atmospheric pressure, and that's what the sensor is reading at idle or closed throttle.
At peak vac, I'm reading around 75kPa, a difference of ~28kPa which roughly equals 8 in Hg. Right in range, it seems.

I'm guessing with the pulsations, however, the vac can is essentially taking the average of the min and max of the individual pulses over time, so it's not getting the full effect of the vacuum signal.
I might have to set this up again after trying a small res., pulse valve, or tee'd signal.

So there's that!
johnnypan wrote:
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of pulsation (as expected) just off idle which will need to be conditioned either with an anti-pulse or small reservoir. I'm also wondering if a tee between the two carbs might even out the signal.

YES. - Provided that both carbs have been modifired. Use at least a 4 mm. preferably 5 mm I.D. plastic tube from the carbs to the Tee. From the Tee to the vacum can you can go down to normal tube size.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Culito wrote:

YES. - Provided that both carbs have been modifired. Use at least a 4 mm. preferably 5 mm I.D. plastic tube from the carbs to the Tee. From the Tee to the vacum can you can go down to normal tube size.

I'm thinking I'll make a small central reservoir as a tee. Perhaps brake line for the tubes.
I enjoy little projects like that...
johnnypan wrote:
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

At what point in the drive did you see your 28 kPa? I must confess to having a hard time following that video!

The 102 kPa tells me you are not too far above sea level, the highest I can get is 93 to 94 kPa.

Yes my engine pulses so bad on a 1 cylinder vacuum signal that the electronics could not make any sense out of it. Adding a volume chamber does wonders for smoothing it out. On electronic systems I would say it's mandatory. This is what I used. An 8 OZ model aircraft fuel tank with all 4 cylinder signals going in and one to the sensor. If you are using the stock distributor vacuum pot it may have enough volume on it's own without any additional added.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Culito

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Actually I was pissed at myself for accidentally leaving the camera on timelapse mode!
The lowest reading I got was around 75kPa (28kPa below my pressure here.)

I am right around sea level.

I think I have a vacuum setup in mind similar to that.
Cold weather's moving in though, might be next year for that project.
johnnypan wrote:
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Would STRONGLY suggest reaching out to John at Aircooled.net since he set up your carbs.....I have found him to be one of the best resources for IDFs.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Culito wrote:

I'm thinking I'll make a small central reservoir as a tee. Perhaps brake line for the tubes.

Why all these small gimmicks?
If you do as I wrote you do not need it.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Type 4 / dual IDFs tuning issues Reply with quote

Alstrup wrote:
Culito wrote:

Why all these small gimmicks?
If you do as I wrote you do not need it.

With large enough tubing and the volume already in the distributor vacuum pot you could be 100% right. I am using a crank fired system with an electronic pressure sensor so needed something to dampen the pulses. A central chamber for all 4 lines made the most sense for me but not everyone will need that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: