Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1967 Ghia
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

I’ve had the car since April but finally have it up and running well. Snapped a couple of quick pictures today and figured I’d share. Yes I know it’s not even close to being original.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Engine:
1835 with TW 92’s
CB 044 heads
Engle 120
CW crank
44idfs
Magnaspark
Unknown sidewinder exhaust.

2” narrowed beam with dropped spindles.
175/55/15 front, 205/60/15 rear on genuine 5.5” Fuchs.

I’ve spent the last several months chasing down some overheating and oil spray issues. Finally seem to have it buttoned up. Went through the electrical and everything currently works! Still have some work to do on the passenger quarter seals and the door upper seals, but getting there.

Super fun car.

Vinyl/tweed interior.

Any questions or comments lmk. I know it’s not some people’s taste but it’s exactly mine!
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
jwold
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

Not original? I thought those flames were dealer options?

Seriously, good looking 67! I think it's great and lucky that you found one that was pretty much ready to go for you, and you don't have to spend a lot of time and money to make it the way you want it, congrats!

My 67 is still split in half in my garage as it's been for a while now...someday!
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

jwold wrote:
Not original? I thought those flames were dealer options?

Seriously, good looking 67! I think it's great and lucky that you found one that was pretty much ready to go for you, and you don't have to spend a lot of time and money to make it the way you want it, congrats!

My 67 is still split in half in my garage as it's been for a while now...someday!

I wish time part was true and I’m sure my wife wishes the $$ was true. I’m sure it pales in comparison to people doing ground up restoration but I actually have a fair amount into it. Hopefully the money hemorrhaging to fix the crap the PO neglected to will now end for the most part. Still have some things to do but none is imperative to functionality at this point which is a bonus.

I know the custom touches and flames aren’t for everyone but I grew up reading Hotrod Magazine, Hot VWs, Rod & Custom and going to streetrod shows with my friends. I always found myself drooling over the wicked flamed streetrods, so that’s where my interest was sparked. I tend to like cars that have a streetrod flare to them and this car fit into that theme. Custom tweed and vinyl interior. Hopped up motor. Nice wheels and tires and then the flames!! God I love the flames!! One of my earliest memories of seeing a Cal look Bug in person was in the early 80’s. A kid and his friend that lived down the road from my uncle drive two very sweet flamed bugs. One was yellow with orange and white flames and the other was black with green as silver flames. I thought those were THE coolest bugs I had ever seen. To this day I’ve kept an eye out to see if either of these cars shows up anywhere for sale. But oddly enough I never saw them again. Even when I was a part of the local VW scene a few years later. It’s like they both just vanished. They were a huge influence on me though.

Thank you for the comment.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing this one for sale. Good looking car, congratulations.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

Congrats, nice ride. These little gems are perfect canvases for customization. Why have a classic car you spend time working on only to have it look like it's been untouched since it left the factory. Stock is cool, 100 point restoration is cool, custom is personal. Enjoy it to the fullest.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myghiarocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

really nice Ghia. It is a one of a kind. love the color and flames. Its all tastefully done. Inside and out
Enjoy
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

No reason to make excuses for the Ghia.
It's what you want and you smile when you drive it?

If so....... Life is GOOD!!!!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
No reason to make excuses for the Ghia.
It's what you want and you smile when you drive it?

If so....... Life is GOOD!!!!!

Dave

Wasn’t really giving excuses just trying to give insight into my “style”. Personally I don’t give a flying “f” if someone doesn’t like it. My names on the title and my money bought it. It suits me to T. I like having a car that I feel can fit in almost anywhere. VW events, streetrod events. Works for me.

Absolutely smiling. Ear to ear. Especially with the stereo cranked!! Damn I need to grow my mullet back!!

Last edited by Sharp64 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
I'm pretty sure that I remember seeing this one for sale. Good looking car, congratulations.

Yep. Guy out of Washington State. Said it was a Cali car but I tracked the body shop down that did the paint and they are based in Oregon. I’m considering contacting them to see if maybe they have any info on the car or build. Paint needs some touch ups and hoping they might have some info on the paint mix. I can get the base coat pretty easy but there are a couple of chips in the flames and think that’s going to be a bear to get touched up correctly. I’ll probably just end up not worrying about it and drive the snot out of it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’ll probably just end up not worrying about it and drive the snot out of it.

THAT'S the attitude! Enjoy it! Now you can instill that same deep seated lust for a Ghia in future generations. Laughing

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’ll probably just end up not worrying about it and drive the snot out of it.
Snot should always be driven out Smile
Look on the bright side, the car looks great WITH the imperfections. That eliminates the stress of waiting for the first ding after you spend $ to get it perfect.

-----
Emil

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

Oh I hate to be the lone dissenting voice but there's one thing I can't stand on a Ghia...flat headlight glass. Wink

Apart from that...looks good. Smile

...oh yeah...not a fan of the roof-rack either.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:
Oh I hate to be the lone dissenting voice but there's one thing I can't stand on a Ghia...flat headlight glass. Wink

I love the tribar/blue dot headlights. One Of the first things I added. Another tip of the hat to the streetrod crowd.

I actually somewhat agree on the roofrack though. Personally I’m not a huge fan of them and have waffled on that one. The wife loves it. I’m on the fence. I tried to make it more unique by repainting the slats a dark blue over black that came out with a purple hue. I kinda dig it but may still lose the rack in the long haul. It also came with the rear window lovers that I took out almost immediately. Couldn’t see crap out of the back window.
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

I love the tribar/blue dot headlights. One Of the first things I added. Another tip of the hat to the streetrod crowd.

I actually somewhat agree on the roofrack though. Personally I’m not a huge fan of them and have waffled on that one. The wife loves it. I’m on the fence. I tried to make it more unique by repainting the slats a dark blue over black that came out with a purple hue. I kinda dig it but may still lose the rack in the long haul. It also came with the rear window lovers that I took out almost immediately. Couldn’t see crap out of the back window.

Don't worry I bought a nice '59 Beetle in the '90s, it came with an external sun-visor which a lot of my friends told me to lose...so I kept it. Wink

I did take it off eventually but not for 8 years or so just to show it was MY decision, not theirs. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

John Moxon wrote:

Well hell, I have flat lenses & a roof rack too, I might as well put fins on the Ghiapet after all.

Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Well hell, I have flat lenses & a roof rack too, I might as well put fins on the Ghiapet after all.

Ahhh you off-roaders are an ornery bunch! Laughing
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Just paint some "flames" on it and it would be purr-fect.
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Well, IMO, no Ghia would be "perfect" without an EMPI GT steering wheel, an EMPI camber compensator, a pair of Talbot Berlin side view mirrors, all topped off by a tie-dye corduroy headliner, ... but the fins and flames would bring it pretty damn close to "perfect". Smile

A roof rack makes some sense to me on an off-road car of any type, as it could be used to carry extra spare tires and 5 gal cans of gasoline and/or water.
On a street car, you'll likely only "need" a roof rack if Aunt Edna should happen to unexpectedly pass away during an epic road trip.

The Vintage Speed roof rack seems to fit the style and character of the Karmann Ghia better than some others do, IMO, but regardless of how they may actually look a roof rack does seem to impart a definite "custom" flair to any vintage Volkswagen.

Sharp64, that is indeed a very sharp looking custom Karmann Ghia you've got there!
I too have grown up equating flamed paint jobs with the best looking street rods - an influence no doubt imparted to me by watchng the old movie The California Kid" at a very young and impressionable age.

As previously stated, your Karmann Ghia is very tastefully executed both inside and out.
Enjoy!
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
IMO, but regardless of how they may actually look a roof rack does seem to impart a definite "custom" flair to any vintage Volkswagen.

Where I come from a roof rack is redolent of Granny in the back seat with a tartan rug over legs to keep her warm. Laughing
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1967 Ghia Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
iowegian wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:
John Moxon wrote:

Well, IMO, no Ghia would be "perfect" without an EMPI GT steering wheel, an EMPI camber compensator, a pair of Talbot Berlin side view mirrors, all topped off by a tie-dye corduroy headliner, ... but the fins and flames would bring it pretty damn close to "perfect". Smile

A roof rack makes some sense to me on an off-road car of any type, as it could be used to carry extra spare tires and 5 gal cans of gasoline and/or water.
On a street car, you'll likely only "need" a roof rack if Aunt Edna should happen to unexpectedly pass away during an epic road trip.

The Vintage Speed roof rack seems to fit the style and character of the Karmann Ghia better than some others do, IMO, but regardless of how they may actually look a roof rack does seem to impart a definite "custom" flair to any vintage Volkswagen.

Sharp64, that is indeed a very sharp looking custom Karmann Ghia you've got there!
I too have grown up equating flamed paint jobs with the best looking street rods - an influence no doubt imparted to me by watchng the old movie The California Kid" at a very young and impressionable age.

As previously stated, your Karmann Ghia is very tastefully executed both inside and out.
Enjoy!

It actually had Talbot repops on it when I got it. couldn't see a damn thing out of either of them. I may like form, but I have to have function as well. I ended up giving the mirrors away as they were useless to me.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: