Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering Rack: New or rebuilt?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Hi, I'll get straight to the point. Need a new steering rack. This is something I cannot do myself right now so will need to buy something online. Van Cafe/ RMW has brand new with a kit for around $540 or I can get a rebuilt Maval for a little over $300. Found a local shop to do either, whichever I prefer.

Thoughts? Opinions?

Thank you!

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Rebuilt steering racks are quite a gamble. I have installed several of the new Jopex racks without any issues.
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Not a direct answer, but I have installed the new rack from BusLab (maybe the same one from vanCafe) and it is a joy to drive. I have a few vans and driving the one with the new rack is so much smoother than the other vans.
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Thanks to both of you, exactly what I needed to hear.

“As for me, I am tormented with an everlasting itch for things remote." - Melville
seventyfo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

The last rebuilt I bought lasted 2 years

"I don't know you well enough to care about your comments". Watkins Cravey
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I installed a new one sourced from Van Cafe. Also the urethane bushings. Really nice. Make sure your guy flushes the system.
childofthewind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Just ordered the Van Cafe new rack kit. Thanks everyone!

Squidfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Burley has complete kits with all German parts for a good price.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

seventyfo wrote:
The last rebuilt I bought lasted 2 years

The last rebuilt I bought has lasted close to 20 years, and counting. From Autozone no less. Problem though, is that was the rebuilding of 20 years ago. Starter rebuilds were great back then as well. That's the problem with somewhat ancient vehicles. I'd go new now for sure.
khughes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
I installed a new one sourced from Van Cafe. Also the urethane bushings. Really nice. Make sure your guy flushes the system.

I enthusiastically agree with the urethane bushing replacement. You won't believe how much difference they'll make!
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Good choice. Maval is not known for quality rebuilds. Even though they may offer a lifetime warranty, it sucks everyone you install has an issue. The last client I installed one in his car totaled it and that resolved that problem real quick.
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I have had a number of German racks rebuilt over the years by Jorgen Automotive Corporation. They are the real deal! Quality is excellent and they can even rebuild your own rack if you don't want to use their core system. They send the rebuilt rack in a box with prepaid postage back to them so you can send your dead rack to them and claim your core charge back. Service desk personnel are excellent.

Here is the Jorgen website:

https://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/volkswagen.html

Have a look at some comments by some Audi geeks:

https://www.motorgeek.com/search.php?keywords=jorg...mit=Search
termuehlen Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I contacted Jorgen a few months back. They didn’t have any Vanagon cores, so I would have had to send mine in for rebuild. Turn around time was just too long for me. About 5 weeks at the time. So I bought a new one from Vancafe and have my old OE core sitting and waiting to send to Jorgen one day.
SyncroHead Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

Howesight wrote:
I have had a number of German racks rebuilt over the years by Jorgen Automotive Corporation. They are the real deal! Quality is excellent and they can even rebuild your own rack if you don't want to use their core system. They send the rebuilt rack in a box with prepaid postage back to them so you can send your dead rack to them and claim your core charge back. Service desk personnel are excellent.

Here is the Jorgen website:

https://www.jorgenauto.com/rack-pinion/volkswagen.html

Have a look at some comments by some Audi geeks:

https://www.motorgeek.com/search.php?keywords=jorg...mit=Search

Attempted to contact them today. Website works but neither their 800 phone number nor local phone number appears to be in service. Got phone company recordings for both.
Clicked on their Facebook link and "This Content Isn't Available Right Now". Seems they are closed down - at least at the moment.

Jim Davis

Check out:
www.VANAVATION.com
www.SyncroSafari.org and
www.Vanagons.org

sphet wrote:
I have *no* idea what the previous owner carried in his Westy... angry donkeys?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

cip has new racks for $450 shipped, seems to be a pretty good price these days.
https://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D251%2D422%2D061
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Rack: New or rebuilt? Reply with quote

I used to sell the rebuild kit a few years ago as nobody else was offering it and I did an excellent how-to here.
They were sold only to rebuilders at the time and on the catalog they were under some kind of asian car, Toyota or something like that, it was a mistake on their listing. I had stumbled upon the correct part number on the scanned version of their paper catalog looking for something totally different, the description/application was for the Vanagon Laughing

Good quality, they are the kits with the darker blue rings sold under many brands, but it seems like they are not available easily these days. They never were cheap to begin with, so I had no interest in pursuing selling them higher than the competition...

I have heard and read bad reviews about the current available kit with the white rings but who knows how the units were before the rebuild... I have not tried them, to be cautious Laughing I think these are hard to source today too.

It`s hard to rebuild the racks these days, most cores are toast, it`s always a surprise upon disassembly but the state and cleanliness of the ram gives you a big hint before disassembly. You know what it swallowed with these steering boots torn out. ( I make and sell silicone boots for these, hint hint Wink )
I do it for customers but the time spent on them is not cost efficient.

The new racks are cheap and good copies of the ZF units although I have heard good and bad things about them. They`re sold for dirt cheap on Alibaba, when they first came out I was tempted to buy some to try but the MOQ was too high, not to mention shipping, then other vendors sourced them so my idea was quickly over.

I think they should be ok if the lines are clean, new filter etc... I install a 3/8 magnetic filter sold mostly under the brand Raybestos.

Aloha!
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: