Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Eurovan Rocker Switch source?
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:06 pm    Post subject: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

I am looking to install a rocker switch for my radio in order to switch between the starter battery and the shore battery and would like to mount it in the dash within one of the pre-existing "blanks".

Anyone have a source for this size? It's roughly 3/4" x 1 1/2"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshwa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

I haven't found a dimensional correct switch to fit the opening. Not to say there isn't anything out there. I've opted to bore out an opening in one of the blanks, to fit in an easily found switch of choice.
Late model cabin air filter on 93
Euro spec bumper install on 93
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

If I cannot find a source, yes, you're right, that would be an option I thought of.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

They used some additional switches in that panel for uses we didn't have here in the US. You may be able to find a switch that would work for your use on UK Ebay or something? For instance, I have a taxi switch for turning the taxi light on/off. There are others..... maybe something to look into.

Otherwise, Josh's suggestion is a good option.
rcowan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

They used some additional switches in that panel for uses we didn't have here in the US. You may be able to find a switch that would work for your use on UK Ebay or something? For instance, I have a taxi switch for turning the taxi light on/off. There are others..... maybe something to look into.

Otherwise, Josh's suggestion is a good option.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

I believe that those same switch types were used on B3 Passats and Corrados, so there may be lots of options out there.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

Great ideas! Let me check and I'll report back for future reference for others.
mstroob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

If you connect your radio to the coach battery side of the isolation solenoid, it would seem to accomplish the same as you are looking to do with a separate switch. Here is my logic (which is hopefully correct)When the car is running, the solenoid is engaged and the coach side of the solenoid is from the same voltage (the alternator) as the car battery side less any voltage drop across the solenoid. When the key is off, the solenoid deactivates and the voltage at the coach battery is supplied by the coach battery only. Something to consider but there maybe something I am missing as far as what you want to do.

Stroob
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

Interesting idea. Seems plausible but (like you), maybe I'm overlooking something.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

Except that the stereo would always be connected to the house battery, so it would not switch off with the ignition; which means that when you're not camping or actually using the house battery, you could unintentionally leave the stereo on and drain the battery. Our vans are daily drivers, so the toggle allows us to use the starting battery as stereo source for the vast majority of daily use, but switch over to the house in those situations when the stereo would be used with the engine off.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
1961tbird
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

Yes, I remember being a kid and going into my dad's 64 Pontiac and listening to the radio in the evenings as that model the radio circuit was always "hot". Got into big trouble when I left it on by mistake and my dad could not start it the next day to go to work!
subdewd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

probably still had vacuum tubes
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eurovan Rocker Switch source? Reply with quote

u could repurpose another switch...just don t forget to relabel it... _
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: