Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bleeding clutch with brakes
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

I have been reading through the forum on "brake bleeding" and many times it is mentioned to bleed the clutch along with the 4 wheels on a standard. If my clutch is working fine, do I really have to bleed it with the 4 wheels when trying to remove air from the brake lines (soft brakes)? It doesn't say to do this in the Bentley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

No you don’t need to bleed the clutch. It is a good time to since both masters share the same fluid reservoir.
ClareSutton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

Thanks, Mark. That's what I thought. Just wanted to hear it from someone else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bkleysteuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

I have a Bentley repair manual, thru year 1987, an on page 30.2/3, Clutch Controls, it addresses the requirement to replace the brake fluid every two yrs. This is the same period of time that is recommended for the brakes and for the same reason, brake fluid absorbs moisture from air. This moisture will rust the internal components of the brake/clutch system.

Additionally, the manual, pg 30.2, under Bleeder screw, states to “pressure bleed” the system. Here is my experience with bleeding the clutch system. On a ‘91 Passat I thought I could gravity feed and then pump the clutch to purge the clutch system following a major rebuild of the engine.. I burnt up two clutches in the process because there was still air in the system, clutch plate would pulsate. On my ‘86 westy, my clutch slave cylinder rusted out causing clutch failure even though I bleed the system at the same time as my brakes (every two years, of course) using the gravity and pump method for brakes and clutch. When I PRESSURE bleed the clutch system, after my normal way of bleeding, I was surprised at how rusty and dirty the fluid in the slave cylinder was.

Although Bentley, pg 47.8, same manual, thru ‘87, does not specify to use a pressure bleeder for the brakes, I use the pressure bleeding procedures for the clutch and brakes. I then use the old pump up the brakes and release the pressure thru fluid release at each wheel cylinder, method. By the way, the order to bleed the brakes is shown on the same page, 47.8, i.e., start with the wheel that is the farthest from the brake master cylinder and work towards the closest wheel, left front. I hope this helps. I’m new to the forum and don’t know how to use pictures yet.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

bkleysteuber wrote:
...Additionally, the manual, pg 30.2, under Bleeder screw, states to “pressure bleed” the system...

A simple yet effective pressure bleeder can be fashioned using a bucycle tire inner tube:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

pathao
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:

A simple yet effective pressure bleeder can be fashioned using a bucycle tire inner tube:

Great MacGyver stuff
I think it does belong to be mentioned in this thread https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=774889
(I hope you didn't mind that I added a link into it myself)

English is a second language to me

Last edited by pathao on Tue Dec 06, 2022 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

MarkWard wrote:
No you don’t need to bleed the clutch. It is a good time to since both masters share the same fluid reservoir.

x2
and you already have all your bleeding tools out, may as well

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
LobWedge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Bleeding clutch with brakes Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
bkleysteuber wrote:
...Additionally, the manual, pg 30.2, under Bleeder screw, states to “pressure bleed” the system...

Impressive! Please describe the process for this. Thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: