Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tinkering with 57DD… Logo Paint Stripping (66 sold)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
When you post a youtube video link, first left click on the [youtube] button at the upper right of the message box you type your next post in. Then paste the video web address, and again left click on the [/youtube] button.

Ah ok, cool. Thanks for the heads up.

Link
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'66 with earlier brakes?

3 weeks later and I just realized you’re right!!
I looked into replacement parts and it looks like I have up to 63 brakes!!
Soooo... do I replace with same parts or can I replace backing plate and replace with correct year brake parts ??
THOUGHTS? SUGGESTIONS?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

At this point you should just procure the later RGBs & brakes or even a whole later transaxle. Then decide if you want to get the transaxle center section rebuilt and regeared for higher highway MPH at lower engine RPM.
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
At this point you should just procure the later RGBs & brakes or even a whole later transaxle. Then decide if you want to get the transaxle center section rebuilt and regeared for higher highway MPH at lower engine RPM.

I'd probably agree with that, but be careful about going too tall.

What do you know about your tranny? I can't tell from the pics, I assume it's a small nut? Does it work fine? Do you have a 6 or 12v starter/flywheel/bellhousing/clutch? Was it ground out for a 12v FW? Is the clutch arm curved or straight? Does it have the rubber bumper stops on the axle tubes?

If the tranny is earlier and in really good shape you might source a BN core and swap the axle tubes/RGBs/brakes. This gives you a slight increase in overall gear ratio- from 4.37 to 4.12 IIRC with a 1.26 RGB, that's a nice gear for a stock motor. Most stock BN trannys are 4.37/1.26 except '64.

I have a '64 BN in my '65, it is slightly noticeably taller in gear from a stock '65-7 BN trans. I wouldn't go any taller than that with a stock motor, BTDT and it was a mistake.
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Eric&Barb wrote:

I'd probably agree with that, but be careful about going too tall.

What do you know about your tranny? I can't tell from the pics, I assume it's a small nut? Does it work fine? Do you have a 6 or 12v starter/flywheel/bellhousing/clutch? Was it ground out for a 12v FW? Is the clutch arm curved or straight? Does it have the rubber bumper stops on the axle tubes?

If the tranny is earlier and in really good shape you might source a BN core and swap the axle tubes/RGBs/brakes. This gives you a slight increase in overall gear ratio- from 4.37 to 4.12 IIRC with a 1.26 RGB, that's a nice gear for a stock motor. Most stock BN trannys are 4.37/1.26 except '64.

I have a '64 BN in my '65, it is slightly noticeably taller in gear from a stock '65-7 BN trans. I wouldn't go any taller than that with a stock motor, BTDT and it was a mistake.

I know zero about trannys. Starter and clutch are 12V and I do not have the big nut style... that's what I know so far...
Bruce Amacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Have you driven it much? Does the trans shift and operate fine?
'66- http://www.leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=2888&sid=54d8dedfb3822f99c7f2ea430cb4e856
'65- http://leakoil.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4263
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Bruce Amacker wrote:
Have you driven it much? Does the trans shift and operate fine?

I was able to drive it twice before motor came out and put bus on stands. Tranny and shifting felt good. I'm rolling the dice a little by leaving tranny as is and rebuilding motor etc... we will see...
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Here's a quick update:
- I removed all the brakes. (Video below)
* I must warn you, I am no mechanic so it's probably the worse brake removal job ever *
- A front bearing and rear axle nut needed jaws of life to remove.
- I had the drums resurfaced to re-use.

Can someone look at the markings on the drums and tell me if they are original?
They have a 'VW' logo, 'GF' '5', part #, and either '9-61' or '19-6'. (Pic below).

As always, all suggestions, advice, and insight is appreciated.

Next, I will install the back seat and strip the paint from the rims...

Link

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Definitely early front 3/4 ton drums. Nice to have those zerk fitted early tie rods from pre-1961! They seem to last as long as one keeps them greased at each tune up.

Suggest you do not bother rebuilding the brakes and start shopping around for a later front beam. Then trade or sell your beam to cover at least some of the cost.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Better to disconnect the brake flex lines at the inner end, or if you know they are junk, you can just cut them.

Always loosen, and always finish tightening the axle nuts while the bus is on its wheels!! Proper torque is between 215 and 250 Ft. Lbs.. Too much shoving around like that can get the bus to possibly come off the jack stands.

Hopefully you have a 3/4" drive breaker bar and sockets, 1/2" drive will shear off soon. That type of BB you got the axle nut off with will much sooner than later break doing that much work.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Better to disconnect the brake flex lines at the inner end, or if you know they are junk, you can just cut them.

Always loosen, and always finish tightening the axle nuts while the bus is on its wheels!! Proper torque is between 215 and 250 Ft. Lbs.. Too much shoving around like that can get the bus to possibly come off the jack stands.

Hopefully you have a 3/4" drive breaker bar and sockets, 1/2" drive will shear off soon. That type of BB you got the axle nut off with will much sooner than later break doing that much work.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I really appreciate it! I'm learning! Thanks.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...Vid/Pics...Advice Welcome Reply with quote

Mounted rear seat to the floor. I know the floor needs a lot of work, but I needed the space in the garage.
- Had to grind down the nubs on the WW clamps so they would hug the legs.
- I've been told that the seat bottom is from a 'mid63-66', and the top is from a bay window. (Any additional insight here would be appreciated)

Link

Clamps from WW with nubs.

Clamps after grinding down nub.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Suggest you do not bother rebuilding the brakes and start shopping around for a later front beam. Then trade or sell your beam to cover at least some of the cost.

I’m looking into your suggestion and I jumped on this 64-67 beam with a 3-4” drop. I’m still not sure what route I’m going to take and I don’t know what all is involved to switch out the beams but this beam was a good price and comes with all the brakes... if I don’t decide to go that route I could resell...

Any insight on what it takes to switch out beams, and lower the rear to match the 3-4” drop? Not looking for a step by step, just an idea...
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...Vid/Pics...Advice Welcome Reply with quote

The FAQ's at the top of the forum has lowering info and lots more....
Vwbus guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:
She is marvellous and she is yours- congrats.

Not sure what your end state is- presentable driver, show quality etc. Do you know how long it was supposedly running /driving? My quick action plan would be

1. get it licensed in your name
2. Since body doesn't look too bad (on first blush)- I would work on getting it stopping- wheel cylinders, brake, shoes , hard/soft lines, drums etc. Might need new tires too?
3. Once stopping has been taken care of work on getting it running, deal with electrical and the engine. Might want to pull the engine and give it a once over just for your own peace of mind and probably not the last time engine is coming out. Might as well get familiar with pulling the engine. While you are in there might want to clean out the gas tank *and* make sure the fuel sender works as it is a PITA to get at once engine is back in. Would also check king pins for wear etc definitely lube front end kind pins, link pins etc as well as steering box.
4. Time and money permitting make the body metal prettier, it is fine as it is and you can do a kinda driving resto on it.

I am sure smarter people have more to ad- read the forums and check the stickies- lots info in here!

Very sound advice here
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With My 66... Reply with quote

Vwbus guy wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:
She is marvellous and she is yours- congrats.

Not sure what your end state is- presentable driver, show quality etc. Do you know how long it was supposedly running /driving? My quick action plan would be

1. get it licensed in your name
2. Since body doesn't look too bad (on first blush)- I would work on getting it stopping- wheel cylinders, brake, shoes , hard/soft lines, drums etc. Might need new tires too?
3. Once stopping has been taken care of work on getting it running, deal with electrical and the engine. Might want to pull the engine and give it a once over just for your own peace of mind and probably not the last time engine is coming out. Might as well get familiar with pulling the engine. While you are in there might want to clean out the gas tank *and* make sure the fuel sender works as it is a PITA to get at once engine is back in. Would also check king pins for wear etc definitely lube front end kind pins, link pins etc as well as steering box.
4. Time and money permitting make the body metal prettier, it is fine as it is and you can do a kinda driving resto on it.

I am sure smarter people have more to ad- read the forums and check the stickies- lots info in here!

Very sound advice here

Thanks!
- Registered in my name a few weeks ago. Had to pay tax on the purchase price!
- Last week finished removing all brakes from backing plates - out.
- Took tires to Les Schwab and they confirmed they are good and no leaks.
- Gas tank is out, new one is ordered (along with engine compartment seals, sending unit,etc.)
- Motor is going out for rebuild next month. (finances permitting Very Happy )
- Steering has about 1 foot of play and steering box is dripping so that will be next.
Appreciate the comments!

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...Vid/Pics...Advice Welcome Reply with quote

This week I stripped the paint from the rims. I'll strip them again to finish, but here's my first pass. They are all dated 3/69.

Link

BEFORE

AFTER

Here's a few items I bought this week...some tattered interior panels just to have something in, rear seat back rest brackets, drop beam, and 64-67 brakes (will end up selling brakes since I have earlier brakes set-up on bus)

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget Reply with quote

Out with the old, in with the new.
All brakes are installed, new master cylinder, new drag link, and new tie rods.
Bought vinyl and will be wrapping and hogringing front seats soon.
Not sure if I should glue the vinyl to the front cushions?

Next:
Install fuel tank.
New engine bay seals.
Buy and install turn signal switch to finish electrical.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget Reply with quote

Finally got rims powder coated.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget Reply with quote

Time to undress motor and send it out for rebuild.
Here's a vid of me fumbling through the undressing.
This was my first time.

Link

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: