Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tinkering with 57DD… Logo Paint Stripping (66 sold)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Here are a few shots of the 57DD. My buddy came over and did oil change, tune, replaced some fuel line, made it safe enough. This is my first cruise around town.

I'll post paint stripping update and bus backstory I'm uncovering soon.

Also, if you're on Instagram I'm youramigotony on IG. I'm new to IG so I'm checking it out Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Well, 66 is posted for sale. It’s time. Now that I have the 57, the 66 is just going to sit and I can use the money elsewhere. It was an amazing project and great time, but time to move on to the 57.

Let’s see if it sells....

Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Hell yeah cruising it and it looks like you've gotten some more of the purple dragon off of that dove blue? Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

66 Update:
It sold! Deposit taken, buyer picking up on Saturday.
57 stripping and updates later today...

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

German Krew wrote:

Hell yeah cruising it and it looks like you've gotten some more of the purple dragon off of that dove blue? Applause Applause

Thanks! Purple has been a beast. Working on nose now...will update post asap.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Here's an update on the 57DD.
- I've been stripping paint with Goof-Off and 0000 steel wool. So far we have a mix of og paint, filler, and respray in front. Still working through what's-what.
- I got new tires. I ordered 205/75/15's. After they mounted 3 of them they realized that they did not have the 4th tire in stock, and did not have any 205/75 sets at all in stock. So, I went with the 215/70's at a discount.
- Went for a ride on the backroads and broke down. It died at a stop sign so I pulled off to look. I saw the belt was slapping the fuel line. The reason why it died was because idle jet was clogged. (someone looking out for me)

...more soon...

blink
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

wowwww someone really is looking out for you!!

love the 57DD and can't wait to see it all in its OG paint glory
peecee69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:
- I got new tires. I ordered 205/75/15's. After they mounted 3 of them they realized that they did not have the 4th tire in stock, and did not have any 205/75 sets at all in stock. So, I went with the 215/70's at a discount.
- Went for a ride on the backroads and broke down. It died at a stop sign so I pulled off to look. I saw the belt was slapping the fuel line. The reason why it died was because idle jet was clogged. (someone looking out for me)

How do the 215s fit? That seems incredibly tight.

Wow, you're not kidding someone was looking out for you! That fuel line looks totally shredded!

Paint stripping looks great. A whole lot of effort for sure. Did you expect any logos?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

So glad you had good luck.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments. Good to know people are actually reading haha. Hopefully thread helps someone one day or gives someone a chuckle.

@peecee69
The 215's actually fit pretty good. I can slide my finger between the tire and rear body panel, and no rubbing anywhere. Good ride. The difference in height is about .25 of an inch so no big deal. I didn't want a big gap between body and front tires...

The logos were unexpected and I have more to that story which I will write-up and share soon...

@BarryL Thanks! After that stop sign I had miles of open country driving with no stop signs and not too many other cars, sooooo, yeah. Felt humbled and grateful when I finally landed somewhere.

@blink Thanks. I get stoked every time I see it. In love. I want everything I see in Dove Blue now. Actually, do you have a vintage blue Pepsi cooler? I need one. Very Happy
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Went for a little stripper progress photo cruise last night.
So far I’m at about:
30 hours
20 cans of goof off
10 paper towel rolls
40 wool pads

Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

volkswagen60 wrote:

So far I’m at about:
30 hours
20 cans of goof off
10 paper towel rolls
40 wool pads

Worth it! Looks great!
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
volkswagen60 wrote:

So far I’m at about:
30 hours
20 cans of goof off
10 paper towel rolls
40 wool pads

Worth it! Looks great!

Thanks!
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

those logos look promising. Should be able to repaint them?

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
those logos look promising. Should be able to repaint them?

After I finish the big panels, I’m going to start on the letters. I’m going to try to keep them as is without repainting but we will see. The logos are in between layers of paint etc so I’m not too sure how it’s going to go.
volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

A little more stripping done. Put it back together to drive it to camping/show last weekend.
- Gear oil was pouring out so friends pulled motor and replaced main shaft seal at the show.
- We were first in line to swap! Early bird gets the worm.
- First time sleeping in the bus, loved it!
- Friend brought my Pepsi cooler that I bought. (matches the bus, well kinda)

volkswagen60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Hello. Update on the 57. This is picture heavy Very Happy
- Camped and swapped at Bugorama 85 in Sacramento. Had a great time. No breakdowns.
- I've been messing around with the Temple Restoration dove blue paint. It's too shiny and the color isn't quite right. I'm going to visit the local auto paint store to see if they can scan my bus paint to make aerosol cans for me.
- I bought a 1600dp with plans to swap it for my 1500, but I think I'll drive 1500 for now and leave 1600 on shelf for a rainy day.
- Other glamour photos I've taken below.

Coming up: (pics on next post)
- I started stripping the dash
- I removed the overhead cardboard panels because they were hanging down and not seated in the channels. They need a little work.

LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Cool

volkswagen60 wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
iubhounds
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Tinkering With 66...BusOnABudget (57DD added 3/15/21) Reply with quote

Great job .... Love the panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 8 of 10

Jump to: