Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

new bus engine inspection
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:03 pm    Post subject: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post.

Just bought a bus and going through the engine compartment. I'm having issues with exhaust fumes in the interior when heater is on. It's my understanding the engine tins/seals need to be in good shape and air tight.

My rear tin: whats the deal here? Is this normal? I wonder if I have a beetle tin?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My fresh air/heater pipes are squished (by about 1/2) by the exhaust pipe. Wont it just burn up? Is this aftermarket crap exhaust I need to replace? What do you recommend and do I need clamps on air hose?

other random holes I plugged with duct-tape. Better fix?

I'm thinking I just need to drop the engine and clean everything up. My main concerns are reliability and not asphyxiating from carbon monoxide. Heater boxes look OK but I'm sure the exhaust gaskets could use attention.

This is my first VW so if anything stands out let me know. Other photos

Ya'll have been amazing so far, thanks so much for any comments. I really appreciate it.

NG
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

The tilt issue may be due to front trans mount bad, the fresh air tubes don't ever fit well with headers, some better then others, stock exhaust is best for heat, hose goes to what is called a clam shell part which is the transition piece between tube and heater box, if you can get a header that is made for use with a heater box you get better air flow by not going thru clam, I've always had headers and good heat, you will just go thru tubes and have to always mess with the connection. Other large hole in tin is for pre heat for air cleaner,cut some can bottoms out and sandwich together with screw and silicone if you dont use the pre heat tube/air cleaner and tin
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Carbon monoxide may indicate a bad heater box or exhaust leaks, not generally due to tin fit and seals.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Like many engines, there is a whole bunch of incorrect/missing stuff there. one thing that I would address immediately are the positive cable going through the big hole in the firewall without any grommet. This will eventually wear through the insulation, and turn your cable into a random welder throwing sparks around your engine compartment before it melts the cable and/or burns your bus to the ground.

A stock muffler works easier than a header. That air cleaner is just wrong. Missing tin pieces need to be sourced and installed. Etc.

Duct tape belongs right next to WD40, in the trash. Use foil sparingly tape if needed.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Building on Lind’s recommendations, you can use metal plugs in those unused tin holes and forget the tape...you could even paint the plugs black to match and blend in. This is an example: https://www.webstaurantstore.com/metro-9997c-super...gIXOvD_BwE

Make sure to bend tabs back for better securement. Or buy new tin.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
hazetguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:

I'll just address this part, because, as Lind mentioned, there is a whole bunch of wrong on that engine.

the tin is installed inproperly. the little hook "tabs" should be over the engine case flange, and the rest of the tin (which is over the flange) shound be on the other side. the tin looks fine, it's just not installed correctly.
ToolBox
Samba Member

Location: Detroit, where they don't jack parts off my ride in the parking lot of the 7-11

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

hazetguy wrote:
nate9871 wrote:

I'll just address this part, because, as Lind mentioned, there is a whole bunch of wrong on that engine.

the tin is installed inproperly. the little hook "tabs" should be over the engine case flange, and the rest of the tin (which is over the flange) shound be on the other side. the tin looks fine, it's just not installed correctly.

At least it has the elusive 4th engine mounting fastener installed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
69aircooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

I agree with the folks above, especially on the positive cable missing a grommet. Most likely the exhaust fumes entering the bus cabin would come from the lower header connection at the heater box (exhaust from #1 and #3 cylinders) though you could have a more serious exhaust leak at one on the head outlets. Is final exhaust pipe/muffler exiting well enough from behind your bus to assure none is coming back into the engine bay?
Headers can be ok, but a stock muffler is best for heat and overall running of a stock, near stock engine. Sorry if I'm just reiterating what already been said.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:

My rear tin: whats the deal here? Is this normal? I wonder if I have a beetle tin?

That is the front tin, as in closer to the front bumper.

The big hole in the rear tin is for the 1968-71 bus carb pre-heat going to the air cleaner.

Would help to know the year of your bus. Plus what are your plans for bus? Full museum restoration, or best reliable daily driver, or drag race bus, or etc..., each makes a difference in how you should do up the engine.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

This is a good thread to start with, also do dig into the VW dealer parts manual mentions in that thread.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451109

Get yourself the Bentley reprint of the VW dealer workshop manual for your bus and its year of manufacture.

http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/wolfsburg_new/accessories/books.cfm

You can find a copy in good used condition in the classifieds or out at swap meets for a lot less.
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

this is a 1966 Kombi.

Mechanical reliability is most important but I like to keep things mostly stock. I'm not concerned with originality as much.

I don't know if I can install the front thin properly without dropping the engine.

Thanks for the great comments.
nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Since the rear tin has a hole for preheat I'm going to assume this is a later engine 68+ correct?

Are there different front tin variations between earlier and later engines?

I'd like to order a stock exhaust. Are they year/engine specific? I doubt my engine and bus are the same year.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
Since the rear tin has a hole for preheat I'm going to assume this is a later engine 68+ correct?

After some 50 years it is not going to be a good way to tell year of the engine by the engine tin. The only way to be sure is by the engine number, and that can be wrong, or by the type of engine case.

nate9871 wrote:
Are there different front tin variations between earlier and later engines?

See the link in our last post for the thread that has a good start on that subject.

nate9871 wrote:
I'd like to order a stock exhaust. Are they year/engine specific? I doubt my engine and bus are the same year.

Exhaust is more engine size specific. You have dual port heads so go for a stock 1500/1600 bus muffler/dampener pipe, and 1961-67 exhaust tip.

Also highly recommend stock oil bath air cleaner, rear engine tin for 1966 bus, and dog house fan shroud with all the cooling tins/seals, and other parts that go with that. Plus the thermostat flaps system to go into the DH fan shroud.

Do keep asking the questions, but do also use the search feature at the top of the forum! That will help you a lot faster and more thoroughly about info that has already been covered over and over. Using the "Titles Only" feature to keep down the results helps also.

Also do dig into the sticky at the top of the forum that is titled:

Quote:
Split Bus FAQ and How Tos - *Read before posting*

If no luck in that sticky or via the search engine. Do post your question in this thread or a new one if you really feel it needs to be a separate subject from your bus/engine.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:

No, that is a stock 1500cc rear tin with the smaller pre-heat hole.
Later Buses/engines have a larger pre-heat hole and hole.

You can plug it or if you get a stock air cleaner you could hook it up (better)

nate9871 wrote:

You need a stock 1500/1600 Bus exhaust.
This description should cover what you need.

Earlier are 36hp/40hp, which are different widths and won't fit.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
nate9871 wrote:

No, that is a stock 1500cc rear tin with the smaller pre-heat hole.
Later Buses/engines have a larger pre-heat hole and hole.

Well shoot! EverettB is correct, that is the 1966 style of rear tin. For some reason it looked like post-1967 type to us at first glance!
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Good advice from all.

Yes, 66, early 67 used that rear tin when new.
The 38 mm hole on the right that is smaller than the fresh air hole, it's for the pre-heat hose that draws warm air into the air cleaner. I had to hunt for it, cool you have it!
I recommend getting a 1500 air cleaner and hooking up a pre-heat hose. It makes the engine run better, especially if it is damp and/ or cool. In dry climates over 70F you don't need the pre-heat. But the oil bath is better.

Here is my 66 kombi in 2011 when the engine was fresh and clean.
A 1600 sp with stock gearing works great in that bus.
It has clamps on fresh air hoses, seals at the fresh air hoses at the rear tin, etc.

nate9871
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

Thanks all for the great input. Other things I have noticed since:

1. I tried to use the engine casting number to ID what engine size etc I have. Nothing is there, no markings. What the hell is thing? CC size?

2.I bought a Bosch tune up kit for the 66-67 year. https://www.busdepot.com/37132
Rotor and cap didn't fit. Distributor appears to be aftermarket? 009 style or something like that.

3. Is this maybe a mexican engine or something? No case markings, aftermarket carb, distributor, Brazilain fuel pump, tins don't fit well etc.

I like OEM and I'd assume a 100% German engine is better/more reliable right?

What am I looking at guys? Is this thing a piece of junk?

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:
Thanks all for the great input. Other things I have noticed since:

1. I tried to use the engine casting number to ID what engine size etc I have. Nothing is there, no markings. What the hell is thing? CC size?

2.I bought a Bosch tune up kit for the 66-67 year. https://www.busdepot.com/37132
Rotor and cap didn't fit. Distributor appears to be aftermarket? 009 style or something like that.

3. Is this maybe a mexican engine or something? No case markings, aftermarket carb, distributor, Brazilain fuel pump, tins don't fit well etc.

1. Any 1200cc 40 HP and later bigger engine can be machined right on up to 2000cc or bigger. Not always wise to do so, but some do. So only way to tell is to remove a head to measure piston size and stroke. We personally have a 40 HP engine, that with no machining to the case or heads was increased to a 1515cc size.

2. Personally would get an appropriate vacuum advance distributor that is designed to work with the carb you have now. 009 and especially the newer junk ones do not work as well for daily driving.

3. Look down lower on the RH side of the engine case just above the sled tin on that side.
langsmer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

nate9871 wrote:

What am I looking at guys? Is this thing a piece of junk?

From my limited compared to many on this forums experience, unless you buy a clean original car, many pre 1967 VW's have frankenengines that have been rebuilt and repaired with any parts folks could find to keep the things going. Up until not that long ago these cars weren't worth that much, so most folks wouldn't bend over backward to make sure everything was correct. Cheap fuel pumps, carbs, distributors, etc, are par for the course. The aftermarket engine may still have plenty of life left in it. If you start gathering more correct parts for it, when it does burn out, you will then have nice parts to put on a more correct rebuild, but I would use the engine (once you correct its issues) until it poops out if it has good compression, etc.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: new bus engine inspection Reply with quote

A Mexican or Brazilian engine case is not necessarily a bad thing, could be a better option than a 50+ year old German case that's been machined and re-machined numerous times. Remove and disassemble that engine to a long block, re-torque the heads and methodically put it back together with ALL the proper parts using your research, the tools on this site and our advice.

Your distributor is at least a German 009. Best to match a German carburetor with the correct vacuum advance distributor as Clara pictured above. You likely already have the tune up parts for it Wink Ignore that bright shiny apparatus on the left it's an optional cabin heater blower. First choice on top end components would be NOS German (pricey=hard to find) or restored German. Next choice Brazil or Mexican, Brosol, brand etc. I personally don't consider any other options an option.

Brazilian and Mexican components are not aftermarket. The are production parts from the VW factories/suppliers in those countries. Some parts are not as good or long lasting as the original German but a least they are available and priced affordable.

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse

Last edited by tasb on Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:20 am; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: