Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

SEMA Junk
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

If this is a re-post I apologize

I kinda like it better than the HDF foosed up bus

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

yuck. post that in the abortion thread also
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
velvetgreen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

i wonder how you do any engine maintenance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

The engine is in the front.

Joking.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sanhozeezee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

it's e-powered... Laughing Laughing
EmpiGT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

I was just about to say it looked like the one built on top of the Divco in the abortion thread. But I see a pic of that abortion in the pics of this bus. It looked so hideous on the Divco they built another without the Divco?
MrPolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

Here you go, the Frankenbus thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...;start=720'
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

That's Randy Grubb in the tye-die. I imagine that this is supposed to get towed behind the Blastolene milk truck.

https://randygrubb.com
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

Proving once again how hard it is to visually improve on the original design. Many try, all fail. The harder they try, the bigger the fail.

I do like the swivel front seats and sunroof combo.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Enkiel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

the fact they didnt even try to make the rear bumper fit the new curve doesnt speak of quality to me...

weird considering it's SEMA.
my56samba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

If it was built from a badly rear ended heap with a Gerson roof and those are fibreglass front and (front)rear bumpers, I don't mind it. There is nothing wrong with being creative. But lets hope he didn't hack up a nice restorable 23 window to create this, but the more I look at it the worse it looks. I like art-deco and the Decoliner that he built but this one doesn't have the same flow.

Last edited by my56samba on Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:

Blah, it's been done already Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

my56samba wrote:
If it was built from a badly rear ended heap with a Gerson roof and those are fibreglass front and (front)rear bumpers, I don't mind it. There is nothing wrong with being creative. But lets hope he didn't hack up a nice restorable 23 window to create this.

Unfortunately, the folks that do stuff like this usually have a talent, a zest even, for finding nice, survivor OG buses to hack up. If they started with one that needed repairs, it just wouldn't give them the same pleasure as ruining a nice bus in the process.
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

a HS buddy of mine and his Dads company have been an exhibitor at SEMA for several years and he posted that same Faux bus on Space Book. I said it is a hack job
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

Enkiel wrote:
the fact they didnt even try to make the rear bumper fit the new curve doesnt speak of quality to me...

weird considering it's SEMA.

My thoughts exactly, it sticks out like a sore thumb...along with the rear of the beltline that tapers up, decreasing in width until it merges into the drip rail. Like he should've spent more time with pen-in-hand...very un-SEMA-like.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

It’s odd that all of the customization is so wild yet limited exclusively to the rear end of the bus.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

velvetgreen wrote:

should be easy. the ass end is so much longer you can probably stand up behind the engine

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
AS350driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

Lind wrote:
Proving once again how hard it is to visually improve on the original design. Many try, all fail. The harder they try, the bigger the fail.

The competitors from Detroit and other countries that produced small bus/van copies also failed to match the styling of the 50-67 VW bus. The Corvair vans are the most VW like of these in their design ...... air cooled, rear engine, forward control, similar dimensions/weight/capacity.

Corvair greenbriers and Corvans are decent looking, but the split bus still reigns supreme in style.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
velvetgreen wrote:

should be easy. the ass end is so much longer you can probably stand up behind the engine

You'd only have to tune it once. Then the Carbon Monoxide poisioning would get you and save you the hassle.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: SEMA Junk Reply with quote

7of9 wore it better

Erik G wrote:

1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: