Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sun Visor Decal, Source?
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

Newer cars have an area behind the rear view mirror that is partially blocked out to keep the low angle sun from blinding the driver. I would love to find a decal that I could apply to my windshield that would do the same thing, but as of yet haven't found one.

Anyone know a source? Might just cut a section out of a tint strip if I can't find anything actually designed for that purpose.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

Mike, this is looking forward into the sun? The best thing that I have found is to wear polarized sun glasses. You might be able to make something with a small piece of colorized plastic that clips onto the mirror stalk with some broom clips (if you want it removable, or just wire it to the stalk). Cutting some dark tint to fill that area as you suggested would work too.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Mike, this is looking forward into the sun? The best thing that I have found is to wear polarized sun glasses. You might be able to make something with a small piece of colorized plastic that clips onto the mirror stalk with some broom clips (if you want it removable, or just wire it to the stalk). Cutting some dark tint to fill that area as you suggested would work too.

Newer cars have an embedded decal that is mostly opaque but has lots of little holes in it, so while you can kind of see through it but it still blocks a large percentage of the sunlight.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

it is molded into the glass to serve two functions. One is to adhere things to it and they other is for sunshade. People make dotted sunshade but a roll is like $30.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

I recently saw a photo of a car that had a separate visor that could be flipped behind the mirror. Little mini visor. Very cool.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

the RL had a separate shade that folded down for that area. Putting my polarized sun glasses on did the most help including glare from other sources like the windshield, dust in the air etc..
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

Sounds like a classic "old guy" problem, time to get a Tac visor!

Link

If you call now you can likely get the Tac glasses and Tac light thrown in for a small "extra fee" Smile

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

"Third visor frit" is the term you want, I think. Though it's usually baked into the glass…

I can't for the life of me find a reproduction, Brian you on this??
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

the frit is baked into the glass because it is used with the urethane to hold the glass in, unlike our glass which is held with rubber. The frit also helps hold electronics and the mirror from popping off. <y MDX has rain sensors, cameras, and all other sorts of electronics that adheres to the windshield in that area.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

When my dad owned my fastback, his commute included driving into the morning sun, so he asked me to solve this problem for him. I bought a small sheet of the "wet adhere" window tint film, the very darkest tint, and made a rectangular piece with rounded lower corners. It lasted about 45 years until I replaced the windshield, and now I miss that little piece!
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
"Third visor frit" is the term you want, I think. Though it's usually baked into the glass…

I can't for the life of me find a reproduction, Brian you on this??
Robbie

No the black out "dotted" tint strip around tbe edges of modern windshields... is not INSIDE the glass. Its on the surface. Its screen printed. I know...because I have printed them. Many of them.

Its also not always ceramic frit. Its may be frit or epoxy based ink....and most of the time its epoxy.

Its purpose is to cover the adhesive sealer that holds the glass in to keep it from:
A. Breaking down from UV and....
B. To cover up the fact that most of the adhesive is just a strip of goo and it looks ugly.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Sun Visor Decal, Source? Reply with quote

I wondered why my '09 Town Car had that stippling behind the mirror.

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: