Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Hi everybody! I'm new to your party but been reading posts for awhile now. I just came into possession of a 74 standard running and in decent shape. Before I start taking things off I wanted to know if sending carb (H30/31 PICT) and dizzy (009) off to be redone, with one of you guys, is this a good combo or should I switch to something else. The engine is a rebuild with a tin plate over the # but I do know it's dual port.
This is all new to me so any advise is welcome. Thanks
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Save yourself some time and money and toss both in the trash. They're both aftermarket and not a good match.

Get a rebuilt GERMAN 34PICT-3 carb and rebuilt GERMAN 034 vacuum/mechanical distributor.

Stay away from the Chinese aftermarket.

It's cheaper to do it right for the first time.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Hi Glenn! I have read many of your replies and respect your advise. I have no idea how long this engine has been in the car but it does run pretty well. Take a look at the pictures and let me know. Thanks for your time!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

vette wrote:
I have no idea how long this engine has been in the car but it does run pretty well.

You have the 009-h31 Brazilian combo, popular replacements back in the day, leave it alone if as stated the car runs well. Do the brakes, replace fuel lines, that nasty looking fuel filter and other things and leave the carb/dist alone for now and drive and enjoy the car.
vette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

I have new fuel lines and filter sitting on my work bench. Had brakes and clutch looked at by local mechanic and both working the way I think they should. Have air box that is suppose to be on a 74 and bumpers go on tomorrow since new absorbers came in today.
I'm 66 and retired so my wife thought I needed a new hobby so this is it. Boy just wait till see she's how much I can spend LOL!!
BTW, the guys at Wolfsburg are the best and everybody in this forum is so helpful. I wonder how many people are sitting on the sidelines reading all the amazing things some of you have done with your VW's.
Thanks for your reply Cletus
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

vette wrote:

I'm 66 and retired

HAHAHA That's hilarious, I had you pegged as a youngster looking to throw good money after bad.
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

My experience with the carb/distributor combo you have is fine. they do work fine when dialed in.
The correct components would be 34 pict carb and the 034 SVDA distributor.
Say if it is not broke and running fine leave it alone.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Some folks do not like the 009. If you have no problem driving it then leave it as is.

Otherwise, you would economically upgrade with an aftermarket 34-PICT 3. Redline (The company who imports all those Webers into the USA), has a very nice one for a good price. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2324945

As for the distributor, you'd do well with the 034 but the price tag for one is a little excessive. Here's he best price one I offer (comes with new Bosch Vacuum) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2127097
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Heimlich. I'm trying to stay as original as possible and staying away from aftermarket when possible. I sent an email to Tim looking into a nice 34-PICT 3. Waiting to hear back. Need to find a way to clean up this engine bay and look around at her bits and pieces.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

vette wrote:
Thanks for the reply Heimlich. I'm trying to stay as original as possible and staying away from aftermarket when possible. I sent an email to Tim looking into a nice 34-PICT 3. Waiting to hear back. Need to find a way to clean up this engine bay and look around at her bits and pieces.

It's your money. Spend it how you wish. The redline carb is $135. You won't find a better deal guaranteed to work correctly.

Here's a 034 for you. It comes with a brand new Bosch vacuum canister.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2181010
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Glenn is 100% correct that a rebuilt German combo as suggested is the best, BUT as also mentioned, the H30/31 and 009 work quite well.

BUT here is the big thing....I have quite a few new bug owners bring their cars in and they "think" they run just dandy. I take it out for a test drive and wonder how in the hell they even made it to the shop in that thing. Then after we fix it, they are "holy shit, I didnt have to downshift on every hill."

So - just keep that in mind.

And good that you found this site - lots of good stuff (usually). Assume you have the Idiots Book. If not, get it. Very helpful and can cover 90% of your needs for repairs.

Last thing - Go over the car carefully. I start from the bottom up. Check all soft hoses and replace any that need it (fuel and brake) Adjust brakes and check your steering coupler... Currently about 80% of the cars that come into the shop should have crashed long before they got here because of badly dry rotted couplers.

Have fun!
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Glenn is 100% correct that a rebuilt German combo as suggested is the best, BUT as also mentioned, the H30/31 and 009 work quite well.

BUT here is the big thing....I have quite a few new bug owners bring their cars in and they "think" they run just dandy. I take it out for a test drive and wonder how in the hell they even made it to the shop in that thing. Then after we fix it, they are "holy shit, I didnt have to downshift on every hill."

So - just keep that in mind.

And good that you found this site - lots of good stuff (usually). Assume you have the Idiots Book. If not, get it. Very helpful and can cover 90% of your needs for repairs.

Last thing - Go over the car carefully. I start from the bottom up. Check all soft hoses and replace any that need it (fuel and brake) Adjust brakes and check your steering coupler... Currently about 80% of the cars that come into the shop should have crashed long before they got here because of badly dry rotted couplers.

Have fun!

X3 both you guys are right, if you spend time at all here you’ll see reoccurring themes with poor drivability issues. 9 times out of 10 it’s cheap knockoff parts but there’s a few that just don’t get it. Listen to experience especially those that have rebuilt thousands of components over the years.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Agree with the above comments

All that aftermarket stuff can work “Fine” when dialed in. I have some “Aftermarket” shenanigans on the 72 bus. Rolls fine. Actually really well. However. When my buddy and I did my wife’s engine build. I wanted a car all stock or should I say properly matched up with the best equipment. That little bug is a pleasure to drive. It’s like driving a modern car. And should I need to futz with it. I can open up the Bentley book and follow the procedures accordingly. I’ve heard this over and over “Many people these days have never driven a stock bug as VW set up”. So I wanted one of my VWs to be correct There’s a difference between “fine and amazing” as it relates to stock. High performance is a whole different thing. Keep in mind. Tim refurbishes carbs as a full time job and has the right tooling. Incredible. Bill does amazing work with distributors and fuel pumps. Those two will dial you in.

74 standard

Before:

After:

After after Wink

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
vette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

You guys are great. Everything you said is exactly my thinking. I have the Idiot and Bentley already. Just going to go slow and make it all like new. The bones of the car are in great shape (including floor pans) and find very little rust anywhere on the car.
Xevin I read your story and saw all the pictures. In the end I wanted to jump and cheer!! I don't plan on going as far as you did but ya never know.
I still need to look into the engine at some point (don't even know what the compression is) so I figure even if a rebuild is needed the carb and distributor will still be needed.
Thanks again and still waiting for Jim to contact me. Let you know what he thinks.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin ^^ I'm glad your and you misses are enjoying your bug!

To the OP, the combo of the H30/31 and 009 works fine but isn't correct as you stated. I ran that combo in the 80's on a single port engine and it ran fine. I prefer a SVA distributor over the mechanical only in a street car.

A 1974 bug would have been delivered with either a 043905205C DVDA distributor if it was delivered new in California or the famous 034 SVDA 043905205 delivered everywhere else.

By far, the Restored German Bosch 034 is one of the most popular distributors I sell and is great matched to a restored German Solex 34-3 carb. Tim at Volkzbitz does amazing work to the original German carbs.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2327394

I personally avoid any new carbs, distributors or fuel pumps sold today. Yes, some may work OK but in almost 40 years of working on VW's, nothing works as well as lasts as long as the original restored German parts. The carb must match the distributor, etc.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Here's an excerpt from a conversation I had with my Redline contact.

"WE do not simply exchange the part with out some level of conversation and inspection. We offer the same support for this carburetor as we offer for our Genuine Weber Products.
WE offer an inspection and direct phone contact support with the installer or tuner in your case it would start with a conversation with us and both you and my staff will move forward to confirm an issue or a defect. I will note our return rate and true defect rate is under 1% our return for inspection is something just over 1 % and each unit ever returned has proven functional. The biggest issue is dirt in the needle and seat which is a sealed unit and dirt internaly along with Water corrosion from the new fuels. "

I've emailed many companies over the years and this is by far the best response I have had from an aftermarket company. Many just don't respond.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
Here's an excerpt from a conversation I had with my Redline contact.

"WE do not simply exchange the part with out some level of conversation and inspection. We offer the same support for this carburetor as we offer for our Genuine Weber Products.
WE offer an inspection and direct phone contact support with the installer or tuner in your case it would start with a conversation with us and both you and my staff will move forward to confirm an issue or a defect. I will note our return rate and true defect rate is under 1% our return for inspection is something just over 1 % and each unit ever returned has proven functional. The biggest issue is dirt in the needle and seat which is a sealed unit and dirt internaly along with Water corrosion from the new fuels. "

I've emailed many companies over the years and this is by far the best response I have had from an aftermarket company. Many just don't respond.

That is good feedback. What carb and distributor you currently running?

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

Xevin wrote:

That is good feedback. What carb and distributor you currently running?

In my 1600 dual port I have a Bocar 34 PICT 3 and a distributor I restored 113 905 205 AJ.

I'll be using these Redline carbs in the future due to their price point.
vette
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

So I started in on the engine and look what I found!!

It's a paper towel that was wrapped around the vanes in the alternator fan. Wonder what else I'm going to find?? Decided to pull engine and see exactly what I have. Should be interesting as I've done anything like this. I'm down to block, cylinders and heads now to pull the engine.
Mikedrevguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: carb and Distributor combination on 74 standard Reply with quote

The 74 DP1600 the son has started with Same combo. Ran dime.
Swapped engine to a different DP1600 has PICT 34 with 009. Have had no issues.
Run what you got,
69 Bwajaja
"The wise speak because they have something to say; while the foolish speak because they have to say something." Plato

Illigitimi non-Carborundum!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: