Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

I’m trying to make the tins around my ‘76 convertible carb conversion engine complete. But I know very little about the history of this Beetle and I think that POs have made a Frankenstein of sorts of the tins. The engine is a Brazilian replacement case, and the FI was removed. There are a number of gaps and things missing. I’m posting pics here in hopes that Samba members can tell me what I need (with part names) to make this right.

Left side of engine—there is a gap toward the firewall. The rubber tin seal is in there but I can’t tell if it’s the right seal or if it’s in good shape. I know the trim piece around the back side of the heat riser is missing (on both sides):

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The tin behind the pulley (which I think is ironically called the front tin) does not line up with the tin between the pulley and the engine. The two tins don’t even seem to have the same curvature:

Right side of engine, same odd gap between the tin and seal:

Missing heat pipe for air preheat. I will either patch this or reinstall a stock air filter, and reconnect the air preheat hose:

Under cylinders 1 and 2, I think I’m missing multiple parts, including a thermostat and flaps. But what are the missing parts called?

Under cylinders 3 and 4, also missing something I think. What is this part called?

Anywhere else I should check for sloppy work? Once I have a shopping list, I’ll try to source all from used OG tins in the classifieds here. Thank you for your help!
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

3/4 side looks fine from under. 1/2 side is missing the sled tin, or at least part of it. Thermostat appears missing. But flaps are inside the shroud, can't tell from your pictures if they are there or not. You need to poke up from where the thermostat should be. From above the seal seems too narrow in places but the tin looks fine. You are indeed missing the pieces that wrap around the heat risers and of course you are missing the stove pipe.

Here is a pic of all the tin for a 71.

'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

The seal looks old and shrunken, that'll fix some of the gaps up front. The rear tin is from a carb car, but the heater box holes aren't going to line up with waht you have if you find a FI one, you may have to get creative with tin snips and roof flashing and some screws to cover the gaps. A carb style pulley tin might help. The hole beside the pulley on the left was for the EGR pipe, more tin snip and flashing action required there.
Yes, your thermostat and bracket is missing, is there flaps and linkage in the shroud?, if not a thermostat alone won't do anything.
You need some sled tins from a carb engine, that one is for a FI exhaust.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
virusdoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

Tom K. wrote:
3/4 side looks fine from under. 1/2 side is missing the sled tin, or at least part of it. Thermostat appears missing. But flaps are inside the shroud, can't tell from your pictures if they are there or not. You need to poke up from where the thermostat should be. From above the seal seems too narrow in places but the tin looks fine. You are indeed missing the pieces that wrap around the heat risers and of course you are missing the stove pipe.

Here is a pic of all the tin for a 71.

Thank you!

Should I be concerned that the tins behind and in front of the pulley don’t match up well?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

virusdoc wrote:
Should I be concerned that the tins behind and in front of the pulley don’t match up well?

Could your rear-most tin have been cut back/trimmed by a previous user or be a crummy replacement part? I guess you could jam some plumbing insulation in there, or just get a new rear tin and then not have to use a rubber stopper or patch that unused hole.

I guess one could silicone-glue on a strip of hardware store stick-on insulation there from the underside, not like one takes off that rear tin all the time....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
MuzzcoVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

Good advice above! Also, make sure the seal behind the engine (fan shroud side) is there, I can't tell from the pics. AND, remember the old rule of thumb... you should never be able to see ANY of the ground below from the engine compartment!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Trying to make my engine tins complete, need help identifying Reply with quote

ok what you have is a mis match of carb style and FI style tin...you need to use the rear apron piece off a carb engine ( which you have) so that the heater hose openings wind up in the right place...the tin behind the pully needs to be a match to this piece as the FI one has a different shaped curve...there were several different variations of these pieces through the years where the left side of the tin behind the pully was different lengths... so off the top of my head i cant swear what year you have but your rear apron tin piece is bent (from collision in its previous vehicle) so you just should source both pieces as a set....the corners where the carb apron mates to the FI cylinder covers is a bit short so 2 small triangles can be made up that attach with the corner screws....you need to use the FI cylinder covers( which you have) to mate with the curved sides of the engine compartment...these dont look like they mate up very well in your case...maybe your car was rear ended and the shape of the engine compartment is slightly off....hopefully a new high quality engine rubber will bridge the gap...underneath you still are using the FI style "sleds"...these have a much different curve and wont mate to the carb heater boxes so you need a pair of those...the various holes that the a/c brackets and hoses went through need to be patched...and that chrome spacer and nut on the alternator pulley should be swapped for stock or watched very closely cause they have a history of coming loose....dont try to use duct tape or misc weatherstrip as engine heat and oil will make this stuff come loose and find its way into the fan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: