Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Compared to what?
1990 ford pickup, the body rusted out to the point the seatbelt mount came loose and was hanging below the truck.
The guy still bucked his seatbelt because it's the law, eventually the clutch pedal fell off.

Older chevy's, like the old blazer, the frame would crack by the steering box.
Chevy pickup the brake lines rusted through.
Seen the same with dodge.
Don't hear much complaints about that. tho just as dangerous if not worse.

Now, I have toyota horror stories too, but, most of it was self inflicted and/or the thing was so far past it's expected life it was kind of like a zombie.
The frame thing is way overblown IMO. yeah you SHOULd have a look at the frame, but plenty in the junkyards with the frames intact, in fact even the stickers on the frame intact. They make a heck of a durable part number sticker.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

I agree partially, my 85 Xtracab diesel's frame rotted out from the inside way too soon, my 68 Datsun with the same boxed frame profile is still fine after 51 years and some seriously salty winters, there's something about the metal in the Toyotas that the rust worms can't resist.

Don't even get me started on the way the box's dissolve before the cab Mad

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Compared to what?
1990 ford pickup, the body rusted out to the point the seatbelt mount came loose and was hanging below the truck.
The guy still bucked his seatbelt because it's the law, eventually the clutch pedal fell off.

Older chevy's, like the old blazer, the frame would crack by the steering box.
Chevy pickup the brake lines rusted through.
Seen the same with dodge.
Don't hear much complaints about that. tho just as dangerous if not worse.

Now, I have toyota horror stories too, but, most of it was self inflicted and/or the thing was so far past it's expected life it was kind of like a zombie.
The frame thing is way overblown IMO. yeah you SHOULd have a look at the frame, but plenty in the junkyards with the frames intact, in fact even the stickers on the frame intact. They make a heck of a durable part number sticker.

Several things at work here. The most important this was and is safety related, it’s not an annoyance or a cosmetic defect. It went on for years and was quietly dealt with by the manufacturer while they failed to take the appropriate action to remedy the problem. I don’t know about you but if I bought a new truck and it rusted to the point of being unsafe and unusable while I was still making payments I’d sure be pissed. This is why consumers finally got organized and formed that class action lawsuit.

In earlier times certainly before the internet and before consumers could compare notes it was much easier for manufacturers to sell things without question. Just like the Samba deals with VWs there are countless other groups talking about all manner of goods and services. This is good for consumers and it makes businesses stay on their toes. Rather than someone’s opinion or feelings or think soes the rust issue with the trucks was based in facts. There are many many testimonials to go along with the courts decision on the matter.
Be an educated consumer read the case and the agreement. Like I said earlier I’ve owned several Toyota trucks but I know where the problem areas are and like any machine they break. Years ago when I worked on Boeing 727s and later 737s we as operators knew where the problem areas were. It came in the form of service bulletins and airworthiness directives. Service bulletins being mostly minor discrepancies or time sensitive. The ADs were safety related covering more serious problems up to grounding and removing the aircraft from service. Hours and cycles also played into when and how things got done. Hours covered total time on airframe or engine or accessories. Cycles are one pressurization and depressurization.

Whatever this all amounts to there will be some that say too many regulations or lawsuits. I’m here to tell you if it saves someone’s life does that mean anything ? Sorry to get way off in the weeds.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Just saw someone selling a truck with the word "Reliable" written on there skateboard -- it's making me think why I want to spend half of my disposable income $70 USD on a truck..

Can anyone provide insight ?
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

I imagine what I'm after is utility?
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

here we go...... Laughing make him an offer for the skateboard!

have you considered buying a scooter instead....?

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

greggl4321 wrote:
Just saw someone selling a truck with the word "Reliable" written on there skateboard -- it's making me think why I want to spend half of my disposable income $70 USD on a truck..

Can anyone provide insight ?

Perhaps the skateboard was his “reliable” transportation when the truck broke down.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Are you talking skateboard trucks or toyota trucks?
$70 wont even buy a skateboard.
windfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toyota-pickup-vs-toyota-tacoma.638100/ 
Mildly entertaining read. 
Looks like a fairly patient, helpful group over there. 

Though with these highlights -
"Nothing to discuss. This is dumb. Go read some more"  
"But its obvious youve had your mind made up since your first post, so I honestly dont get why Im even responding."  
"No matter how many people here tell you that the 2.7 or 3.4 is more reliable you seem dead set on getting a 22re. So why even bother asking."  
"- I think you are under that impression because you are unable to read replies two pages of members have posted for you.
- Try reading replies members have posted for you."  
"I can’t with this guy anymore"  
"But isn't it true that if you argue against the facts laid out in front of you then you're just a troll. That's what I heard, or read or was told."  
"Dude youve got to be trolling. Where do you keep hearing/reading all this BS?"  
"Pffft how about you chill your nuts. You come here to ask for insight and then just argue and stuff your opinion at us."  
"Troll?"  
"This guy is troll level 20. Seriously gotta be one of the regulars on here having fun, or a 15 year old kid with his dads old car mags."  

Good luck Greg.   
Consider looking at bicycles again -- cheap, reliable, and better for your health.   
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

calvinater wrote:
Are you talking skateboard trucks or toyota trucks?
$70 wont even buy a skateboard.

Inflation is a bitch, ain't it?
In 1960 I bought my first car for $125........a running, driving, stopping '51 Chebby.
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

windfish wrote:
https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/toyota-pickup-vs-toyota-tacoma.638100/ 
Mildly entertaining read. 

I like the sound of 'utter sinplicity' - where can I get some?

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

greggl4321 wrote:
wondering what tools I'll need.

this will be a good start

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Yes they identified and categorized him right away. I’m thinking he’s about done. On the positive networking with these folks has saved me a ton of money already. Example resoldered a connection for compass, outside temp and saved 600 dollars vs. dealer recommended fix.
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

So what will be a better but a 2k accord vs a 89-95 pickup ?

I mean to say that aren't engine/transmission overhauls more money on a front wheel drive vehicle, such as an accord vs overhauling an engine in a 89-95 pickup

Thank you for your time
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Aren't fwd car engines more expensive to fix than Toyota pickup engines because of the transaxle?

Doesn't everything have to come out?
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Agree or disagree -

What's more expensive to fix 2003 accord vs 1995 pickup - 5 speeds

"Manufacturing and maintenance costs for FWD are less.
Because all the major functional parts of the car are concentrated around the front of the vehicle, FWD cars have the added advantage of being less complex, easier to service, and cheaper to maintain. For example, the transmission and axle assembly are one unit in a FWD car. The reduced size, weight, and complexity of FWD vehicles also reduces manufacturing time and costs, savings which can be passed onto the buyer. Front-wheel drive cars usually have lower general maintenance costs and are more fuel efficient.

Front-wheel drive is not as rugged and repairs can cost more.
FWD systems overall involve more complex parts that make them more delicate, as automotive durability goes. Half-shafts and constant velocity (CV) joints are more prone to damage than the more durable solid axle of a RWD vehicle. While a RWD car’s axle might need little service or repair beyond the scheduled checkup and lube, a FWD car will need new CV joints and associated parts on a regular basis (depending on your driving habits). The front brakes might require more frequent servicing, as well, due to the distribution of weight during braking."

It then goes to say

"RWD vehicles are rugged and sometimes cheaper to repair.
RWD vehicles tend to be utilitarian and more durable, built for hard driving, towing, hauling. An advantage of many RWD vehicles is a solid axle design, which can take a lot of abuse without breaking. A simple example is if you hit a curb or a pothole really hard with a front-wheel drive car, you might damage some expensive parts. FWD cars have some complex parts, which are can be more susceptible to damage in extreme conditions. If you accidentally slam into or run over a curb or hole in the road with a solid axle rear-wheel drive car, it will most likely survive and just keep going. This is why police cars and other service or utility oriented vehicles are mostly RWD."
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

#Sleep

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

greggl4321 wrote:
Aren't fwd car engines more expensive to fix than Toyota pickup engines because of the transaxle?

Doesn't everything have to come out?

Are you asking if you have to pull the engine replace a FWD car transmission?
I can't answer that for every car but not for any FWD drive car I've owned in the past where it needed a clutch or full transmission
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

Now we are getting FWD (front wheel drive) confused with 4WD, that statement quoted sounds like it's from the early 70's when FWD was as alien as electric vehicles are now.
Yes you may have to drop an engine/trans assembly to do something major, in most cases it takes far less time than pulling the engine in a Toyota 4X4 (did one last week, major pain and time involved)

If you don't want a scooter or bicycle buy a ~$800 Toyota Corolla (93-97 are a good choice), easy to fix and the parts are cheap, good on gas and hard to kill as long as you put oil into it.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here

Слава Україні!
greggl4321
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Recommend me a tool set - Toyota Pickup Reply with quote

No, I'm not talking about 4x4...

I think repairs to fwd cars are going to cost more than it'll cost to repair the Toyota

Toyota is on a solid frame, if something breaks it's replaced, on the cars if something breaks, ya need to find a new car... Or have to spend 3 times as much to get the engine / trans done

Right?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: