Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad?
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

hi wind age tray. for a formula vee and ralley racing . auto cross racing . I know the 914s used them. I know that some people use them for formula vee I know they still sell them. ok what do you think about using a wind age tray and why .this one should be fun lol . be nice lol spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: wind age tray for racing what do you think good or bad Reply with quote

i ran one when i used to oval track race in the 70's....i think it was a real early scat version that bolted to one of the oil strainer studs...basically didnt use it for windage...used it to help prevent oil from pouring up the pushrod tubes and starving the pickup in the corners...we werent allowed to run a deep sump and the pushrod tubes with the extensions on them werent available yet...heard complaints about the slip-in ones that they tended to rattle around in there and create flakes of case in the oil so you had to round off the corners ...no idea if the ones currently available are any better...and the old bolt in ones used to crack the bracket where they bolted down which is probably why they switched to the slip in design
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

I was thinking of using one. I put it in my motor case and it moved around like like you said. I was thinking of cutting a rubber hose and putting it on the of the windage tray to stop it from moving around . but I don't know if the rubber would break down over the years if any one has something better please post spencerfvee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

maybe you'll get more people to reply if you ask in the regular engine/transmission/performance forum
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

I used a 1.5 qrt sump when I autocrossed and got rid if my oiling issues in corners. Didn't like the idea of something that could rattle loose inside my engine.

brad
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

slalombuggy wrote:
I used a 1.5 qrt sump when I autocrossed and got rid if my oiling issues in corners. Didn't like the idea of something that could rattle loose inside my engine.

your right I don't want a tin can jumping around in the motor .spencerfvee
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

spencerfvee wrote:
slalombuggy wrote:

your right I don't want a tin can jumping around in the motor .spencerfvee

I'll admit the first time I saw one, I said 'no way'. But there's nothing for a BugPack type windage tray to hit down there... I've had several engines apart during servicing, including my own drag engines, have never seen a rub mark, chaffing, nothing.

Do they work is another topic. It's too low in the case to ever scrape oil off the spinning crank. Under drag race starts, the oil in the main sump area sloshes to the rear of the case, and might get past the cam and lifter structure, and slap against the spinning rods, counterweights and throws, slowing acceleration. There's also the 'oil rope' theory, that says even while stationary (like on a dyno) a fast spinning crank sucks up an oil 'funnel cloud tornado', where the oil tornado wraps around the crank, again, sapping power and slowing rpm acceleration. Also, if the oil is not in the sump, and the pick up tube is momentarily uncovered and air gets in the system, 'entrained', the gauge will never show it, as air and oil pressure read the same, but the rod bearings sure do! Been there and done that. A VW windage tray can help slow or even stop that.

At the end of the day, I couldn't say for sure, with proof positive, if there's benefit or not, but have adopted the 'it can't hurt' philosophy towards them for drag racing. For offroad or short course, roadrace or autocross, I'd definitely run one, but that's me.
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: Windage tray for racing - What do you think good or bad? Reply with quote

Was surprised to find one in a 411 case, (EA), just tore this one down, it was nasty, found it in the trails back in the 80's, been setting in my barn since. Has a silicone gasket that fits it into a shelf around it's edge, quite complex, must keep it from wearing into case and help direct oil.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: