Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ring seal and hp losses
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:41 am    Post subject: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

I've a new 2276 with 700 miles and I think I've an issue with ring seal in a couple of cylinders, I'm using grants and total seal second rings. I had issues when motor first fired up and I probably ran it too long without any load on it. Motor also runs too cool, I struggle to see 180+ oil temps. So I'm gonna fit a thermostat and flaps in the housing to help it warm up.

Quick question about hp losses with bad ring seat, I haven't done the leak down test yet but I know from cranking the engine over that 2 cylinders kick back like a mule and 2 don't, compression ratio is 10.5.1. Is it likely the power would suffer by maybe 10-15% due to ring seal?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

baz76 wrote:
I know from cranking the engine over that 2 cylinders kick back like a mule and 2 don't, compression ratio is 10.5.1. Is it likely the power would suffer by maybe 10-15% due to ring seal?

Ya' SURE that the spark plug wires are all correct???? Re-check then re-check again.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

Yep it's running fine, it's just got less compression in 1+3 than it has in 2+4 I've only judged this by turning it over with a wrench, I haven't done a leak down test yet but the conditions were ripe for a bad ring seat.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

How about some compression test numbers? Even a regular compression tester will tell you the story. Leakdown test is good but you dont even need that yet. I bet you find something else un related to rings
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

Haven't done compression test yet either as I need a new tester, but I plan on doing both tests before pulling anything apart.

Its gotta be rings or valves right? Reason I suspect the rings is because of reading search results on here, I reckon my cylinders got a good wash out early on in its life and I know it's never got fully hot either.
I was out for a drive today and despite pulling the fan belt at start up to try get it hot I still only saw 180 oil temp when I went cruising, done around 50 miles mixed driving not babying it at all but it won't heat up.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

I wouldnt jump to any conclusions at all till doing a compression test. Throttle plates open, make sure valves are adjusted.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
I wouldnt jump to any conclusions at all till doing a compression test. Throttle plates open, make sure valves are adjusted.

I'll do the test during the week when I get a new tester but I know by feel the compression in 1+3 is much less than 2+4. Valves are adjusted right as I adjusted them a few days ago, that's when I noticed the compression difference.
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

what method do you use to adjust the valves? why mix grant&total seal rings? how were the cylinders honed? how was it assembled? did you oil the rings good when assembling?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

mark tucker wrote:
what method do you use to adjust the valves? why mix grant&total seal rings? how were the cylinders honed? how was it assembled? did you oil the rings good when assembling?

The basic method. I used the TS second rings cos I thought they'd be better. Cylinders were torque plate honed by a guy who builds loads of these engines. Pistons, rings and cylinders were assembled dry, little bit of oil on my ring compressor tool as I fitted the pistons into cylinders.

Everything was spotless clean too.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

Is anyone able to shed any light on hp losses through bad ring seating? Motor made 155hp on dyno was expecting 170ish so just wondering if it's losing 10-15 because of rings or whether my heads are limiting it.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

Monitor the blow-by to find out how well they seal under power.
The gapless ring usually checks good on a leakdown test no matter if they are good or not.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

I’ve only just got my 2276 on the road three times now. I don’t have any Dino access but I’m thrilled so far. Pesky pushrod tube oil leak but everything else engine wise seems fine.
I have the oven thermometer style dip stick and even after a bunch of freeway load/unload, speed real fast for a minute, drive 75mph at 3500-4000rpm for an hour and it never read above 230.
I’m not running a separate oil cooler either. Just the stock doghouse cooler.

I’m sorry I cannot answer your question but I doubt you would lose 10-15hp through the rings. I could be wrong but that seems severe.

Is there a lot of blow by?

What heads, cam and carbs? I don’t see that information anywhere.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Monitor the blow-by to find out how well they seal under power.
The gapless ring usually checks good on a leakdown test no matter if they are good or not.

Thanks modok how do I do that though? Novice here winging it.
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
I’ve only just got my 2276 on the road three times now. I don’t have any Dino access but I’m thrilled so far. Pesky pushrod tube oil leak but everything else engine wise seems fine.
I have the oven thermometer style dip stick and even after a bunch of freeway load/unload, speed real fast for a minute, drive 75mph at 3500-4000rpm for an hour and it never read above 230.
I’m not running a separate oil cooler either. Just the stock doghouse cooler.

I’m sorry I cannot answer your question but I doubt you would lose 10-15hp through the rings. I could be wrong but that seems severe.

Is there a lot of blow by?

What heads, cam and carbs? I don’t see that information anywhere.

Happy for ya dude, I'm reasonably happy with mine but it's not as quick as I expected it to be.

Jeff denham 42x37.5 unwelded 041s (I requested 13 second heads)
Raptor 008 cam 263 duration 9.64 lift
Scat 1.4s
. 045 deck height
10.5.1 cr
Tp lightweight lifters
Lightweight springs
Dual tapered push rods
Speedshop efi 45mm tbs
Speedshop 1 5/8 exhaust

I know dyno results can vary and I was never chasing numbers but if it's maxed out where it is then I'm shopping for better heads.

Last edited by challomoner on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

Look for oil spray from behind the pulley. If you have a breather system, look inside and try to determine if it looks like a lot of oil is being collected or just a little.
Go to an auto parts store and borrow a compression tester and see what you’ve got to start with. You said you’re at 700 miles so everything should have settled in by now.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

I think an old school way, would works similar to a leakdown tester, so you'd have an orifice of some particular size on the breather tube, and monitor the case pressure. knowing the size of the hole and the pressure you could determine CFM.

Or these days probably they have some kind of high tech meter thingy, and they may not know how it works. I'd have to ask my brother.

I'm not really an expert in that end of things, the "dyno and tuning nerds" should know more. They are the guys who NEED to know.

Personally, I don't really need to know exactly on what I'm driving.
I's either good enough, or it isn't. You know?
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

jeffrey8164 wrote:
Look for oil spray from behind the pulley. If you have a breather system, look inside and try to determine if it looks like a lot of oil is being collected or just a little.
Go to an auto parts store and borrow a compression tester and see what you’ve got to start with. You said you’re at 700 miles so everything should have settled in by now.

Luckily I've no oil from behind pulley, I've a vent hose on fuel pump location and another one on the oil fill cap, no breather box yet they just vent to air. The hose on the fuel pump location puts out quite a bit of oil though.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

1-3 and 2-4 share a cam lobe..
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

263 duration? I hope that’s at .050.

Last edited by jeffrey8164 on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Ring seal and hp losses Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:
1-3 and 2-4 share a cam lobe..

Yep and lift measures OK so its not the cam.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: